Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1783 1784 [1785] 1786 1787 ... 2920

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 744889 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #26760 on: May 10, 2022, 12:23:31 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/08/politics/mississippi-abortion-contraception-roe-wade-cnntv/index.html

The governor of Mississippi refuses to rule out banning contraception, noting that is not the current focus.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/mike-braun-says-interracial-marriage-should-be-illegal-1325336/

Senator Braun (R-IN) thinks interracial marriage should be illegal.

https://archive.ph/s0qVr (NYT article)

Justices Thomas and Alito question same-sex marriage; they "appeared to urge the court on Monday to reconsider the ruling, which they said had invented a right with no basis in the text of the Constitution."

These and many others are under siege at the federal level, with proposals to make them state-by-state.
But since not reported by the Right Wing Faux Outrage Machine Red does not know these currents exist. If you do not think someone like DeSantis would push to ban Gay marriage if he thought it would help him in 2024 you are an idiot.
Really? You can not be serious.
A minority opinion by two Justices over a 7 year old SCOTUS decision enabling same-sex marriage will be re-litigated  if ROE falls.?
You and Josh must live in constant fear of religion.
The rest of America does not. And politicians, especially DeSantis, are not going to waste time and money on issues that are popular with voters.
Even before Oberkfell same sex marriage had crossed the 50 per cent approval mark.
By 2020 it was over 70 per cent and had acceptance steadily increasing to 60% and 55% by Catholics and  Republicans.
Unlike Abortion there are no levels of restrictions to same sex marriage, it either is allowed or it is not.
Nothing about the Thomas / Alito stated views offer a pathway to revisiting Oberkfell.
And Americans are not about to reject  same sex marriage.  It has worked very well.
It's always nice to poke my head in and see that this place's constitutional scholar has a deep appreciation for a one-time St. Louis Cardinal (among other teams') infielder.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26762 on: May 10, 2022, 12:47:46 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/08/politics/mississippi-abortion-contraception-roe-wade-cnntv/index.html

The governor of Mississippi refuses to rule out banning contraception, noting that is not the current focus.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/mike-braun-says-interracial-marriage-should-be-illegal-1325336/

Senator Braun (R-IN) thinks interracial marriage should be illegal.

https://archive.ph/s0qVr (NYT article)

Justices Thomas and Alito question same-sex marriage; they "appeared to urge the court on Monday to reconsider the ruling, which they said had invented a right with no basis in the text of the Constitution."

These and many others are under siege at the federal level, with proposals to make them state-by-state.
But since not reported by the Right Wing Faux Outrage Machine Red does not know these currents exist. If you do not think someone like DeSantis would push to ban Gay marriage if he thought it would help him in 2024 you are an idiot.
Really? You can not be serious.
A minority opinion by two Justices over a 7 year old SCOTUS decision enabling same-sex marriage will be re-litigated  if ROE falls.?
You and Josh must live in constant fear of religion.
The rest of America does not. And politicians, especially DeSantis, are not going to waste time and money on issues that are popular with voters.
Even before Oberkfell same sex marriage had crossed the 50 per cent approval mark.
By 2020 it was over 70 per cent and had acceptance steadily increasing to 60% and 55% by Catholics and  Republicans.
Unlike Abortion there are no levels of restrictions to same sex marriage, it either is allowed or it is not.
Nothing about the Thomas / Alito stated views offer a pathway to revisiting Oberkfell.
And Americans are not about to reject  same sex marriage.  It has worked very well.
It's always nice to poke my head in and see that this place's constitutional scholar has a deep appreciation for a one-time St. Louis Cardinal (among other teams') infielder.
Our resident Constitutional scholar also thinks Constitutional rights can be secured on a state by state basis, by voters.

A parrot bit me.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26763 on: May 10, 2022, 01:40:29 PM »

Potentially good news for the US:
https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2022/05/06/lithium-mining-salton-sea-geothermal-ev-battery-energy-fm-orig.cnn-busines

I posted about that a little while ago. We are on the cusp of a major energy storage revolution. There will not be an economically viable use for mined fossil fuels within five to ten years.

We have innovated our way out of oil. The only thing in the way are some fascist kleptocrats who can go feed sunflowers with their zombie orc brethren.

As a bonus, kill oil and the funding for forced birth campaigns of right wing rapey grifters also dries up.

We have a nice future if we can rid ourselves of the republican party. Take inspiration from Northern Ireland and vote the bastards out, just more thoroughly and completely.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 01:43:14 PM by facilitatorn »
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Holly Martins

« Reply #26764 on: May 10, 2022, 01:49:08 PM »

Potentially good news for the US:
https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2022/05/06/lithium-mining-salton-sea-geothermal-ev-battery-energy-fm-orig.cnn-busines

Facility mentioned that a few days ago.  Could be enormously helpful to our alt energy independence.  Val Kilmer is pretty stoked, too. 

Holly Martins

« Reply #26765 on: May 10, 2022, 02:02:52 PM »

I think Loving v VA is a less likely target for rollback, but there are already Repugs who are making rumbles about Obergefell.  And Sen Marsha Blackburn has denounced Griswold v CT, FFS.   Republican states are already moving to limit access to birth control in various ways.   If people think these Repug chokeholds on women's rights aren't going to try for a comeback, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Holly Martins

« Reply #26766 on: May 10, 2022, 02:10:58 PM »

And there are already prosecutors in red states that are going after women who have miscarriages.  Do you think that won't accelerate in a post Roe environment?

https://www.oxygen.com/crime-news/brittney-poolaw-convicted-of-manslaughter-over-miscarriage-in-oklahoma

Think a "Becky" in Norman would have been prosecuted with the same zeal?

Holly Martins

« Reply #26767 on: May 10, 2022, 02:12:43 PM »

I think Loving v VA is a less likely target for rollback, but there are already Repugs who are making rumbles about Obergefell.  And Sen Marsha Blackburn has denounced Griswold v CT, FFS.   Republican states are already moving to limit access to birth control in various ways.   If people think these Repug chokeholds on women's rights aren't going to try for a comeback, I've got a bridge to sell you.
You won

Thank you!

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #26768 on: May 10, 2022, 02:14:47 PM »

You won

Yes he did.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #26769 on: May 10, 2022, 02:27:38 PM »

http://youtu.be/4vHuldVlpFA

Another team poking away at the housing crisis.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26770 on: May 10, 2022, 02:30:08 PM »

You won
Wow! Congratulations bart, you not only beat him - we have all done that - you got him to admit it! Way to go!
A parrot bit me.

Holly Martins

« Reply #26771 on: May 10, 2022, 02:48:14 PM »

Har!

If this were a non-glitching message board, imagine how much less fun it would be.

It is not everyday I declare my affection for a software problem. 

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #26772 on: May 10, 2022, 02:49:27 PM »

Nothing about the Thomas,  Alito stated views offer a pathway to revisiting Oberkfell.

It's wishful thinking on their part that there would be such an attempt

Sick.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #26773 on: May 10, 2022, 02:56:36 PM »

Kaitlin Collins,re:  Biden's thoughts on Russia -

"Putin is a calculating guy.  But right now the US doesnt know where he goes next, what is his exit strategy on this?"

Just fuckin ask him.

Hahahahaha!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UwgcHd071eI
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #26774 on: May 10, 2022, 03:09:27 PM »

And there are already prosecutors in red states that are going after women who have miscarriages.  Do you think that won't accelerate in a post Roe environment?

https://www.oxygen.com/crime-news/brittney-poolaw-convicted-of-manslaughter-over-miscarriage-in-oklahoma

Think a "Becky" in Norman would have been prosecuted with the same zeal?

Would have been easy to get the actual numbers, not just give the line...

Women of color are disproportionately represented in these arrests and other deprivations of liberty, she added.  Of course, this is all rooted in the racist propaganda around the  war on drugs and  crack babies sort of hysteria that surrounded that in the 1980s and 90s.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 03:17:37 PM by kidcarter8 »
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -
Pages: 1 ... 1783 1784 [1785] 1786 1787 ... 2920