Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1786 1787 [1788] 1789 1790 ... 2921

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 745075 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Espnthree

• View Profile

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #26807 on: May 11, 2022, 11:28:52 AM »

Nothing about the Thomas,  Alito stated views offer a pathway to revisiting Oberkfell.
And Americans are not about to reject  same sex marriage.  It has worked very well.

It's wishful thinking on their part that there would be such an attempt

Sick.

A couple of rapey racists gaslighting each other.

Incurable.

shhhh....

child.

You're in no position to be calling anybody else a child, "Kid."

And even less to tell them to "shhhh...."

You are better off agreeing with me - gain some credibility.

You have no credibility except as a racist, fascist wannabe Nazi.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #26808 on: May 11, 2022, 11:30:30 AM »

I find Josh credible.  I find you cartoonishly partisan. 

The link is about Lithuania and its position on Russia, as the URL suggests.

As for Ward, hilarious that he argues Obergefell is safe because its popular.  As Larry pointed out, he must not read all those polls on Roe and Casey.
You are plainly or intentionally oblivious to the world we live in.
The  Polls show a consistent desire to restrict Roe (hence the number of states who are)while gay marriage is clearly accepted as is. So is the use of contraceptives by married people and interracial marriage.
To pretend otherwise is to admit the left is only interested in changing the subject from the mess it has made.

This is a ridiculous lie.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26809 on: May 11, 2022, 11:52:57 AM »

What is this link to, Mod?

Axios is a news site, Kid. Is this news to you?

https://www.axios.com/about/

Lithuania has declared Russia to a a terrorist state, the first country to formally do so.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26810 on: May 11, 2022, 11:58:19 AM »

Nah...

Less than 50% are "pro choice"

On gay marriage,I think polling is skewed since those polled often will be dishonest when it comes to LGBTQ issues. 

"Sure.  I support them being married"And

But off camera....

Kid 'knows things' - so, he rejects poll numbers on this.

https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/abortion/most_voters_don_t_see_a_threat_to_roe_v_wade

And a solid majority prefer it to be legal in most cases.

Fewer are personally morally comfortable with it, but that is a different issue in a nation without state religion (so far).
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Holly Martins

« Reply #26811 on: May 11, 2022, 12:17:47 PM »

I would have thought it was obvious that being pro-choice and being in favor of Roe (being in favor of keeping abortion legal) are not quite the same thing.  Pro-choice is a particular position, but there is a broader group, not all pro-choice, that do not believe Roe should be reversed.  While I appreciate that a pro-Roe position can range from unbridled support of abortion in all trimesters to a support of the right to access abortion before a fetal nervous system takes shape (more like 15 weeks), none of those positions will poll as in favor of reversing Roe.  Let's try to have some nuance here, and not just try to score cheap points. 

The reason Roe has been settled law for half a century, is that the majority favor keeping it, whether or not some of that majority is personally opposed to abortion or wants some developmental limits.  I am married to a Catholic, so I understand better than some here that there is quite a range of beliefs about what's going on in utero that do not necessarily fit in neat boxes.  And a lot of that range understands that, whatever a person's personal theological beliefs, the Constitutional rights that emerge from the 9th and 14th amendments are important to our democratic and free society.  And should not be decided in some bizarre piecemeal fashion where you cross a border and your medical rights instantly change. 

Holly Martins

« Reply #26812 on: May 11, 2022, 12:23:05 PM »

Overturning Obergfell - which i have been consistently misspelling - does not have to be broadly popular for a challenge to that ruling. It just has to be popular among Republican activists and donors in a state controlled by Republicans. Which it is.

Yep.  Given congressional districting practices, the disproportionate Senate representation of conservative states, various voting restrictions, the heavy politicization of evangelical churches, and so on, the effective resulting minority rule means that the resolving of these issues may not be in step with popular views. 

Still missing an "e," Hairy Lim. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26813 on: May 11, 2022, 12:26:33 PM »

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/05/06/about-six-in-ten-americans-say-abortion-should-be-legal-in-all-or-most-cases/

CNN had it at 49% calling themselves pro choice

Just yesterday

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/06/politics/cnn-poll-abortion-midterms-roe-v-wade/index.html

Q9. If the U.S. Supreme Court completely overturned its Roe vs. Wade decision, would you feel: [FIRST FOUR
RESPONSES ROTATED IN ORDER FOR HALF/IN REVERSE ORDER FOR HALF]
17% Happy
12% Satisfied, but not happy
21% Dissatisfied, but not angry
36% Angry
14% Wouldn't care either way
0%   No opinion

Even among those who wish, post RvW, that their states became more restrictive, only about half want abortion banned.

Among those who wish their states to become less restrictive, 89% "Would want your state to become a safe haven for women who want abortions but cannot get them where they live"

59% support a national law to permit abortion. (37% strongly)
41% oppose is. (28% strongly)

Question 14 asks about other issues and whether the rulings feel secure or threatened to the person being polled.
Contraception feels safe to 63%, threatened to 23%
Marriage to those of other races feels safe to 66%, threatened to 19%.

Marriage regardless of gender feels safe to 35% and threatened to 38%.

66% opposed overturning RvW.
34% supported it.

I'm not seeing a CNN poll on the term "pro-choice."

To increase your credibility, Kid, share your source, please.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #26814 on: May 11, 2022, 12:29:08 PM »

Nothing about the Thomas,  Alito stated views offer a pathway to revisiting Oberkfell.
And Americans are not about to reject  same sex marriage.  It has worked very well.

Sick.

Incurable.
It took a SCOTUS decision to make marriage equality the law of the land despite laws in multiple states. Two of the five person majority in Obergfell have been replaced by much more conservative justices. If you do not think some if not all of those dissenting states will not attack it now, or you think an approach that looks to the past as Alito's draft does will not give those states ammunition, or that the SCOTUS of Gorsuch, Kavanagh, Barrett, Alito and Thomas are going to respect a precedent that conflicts with their religious beliefs, you are an idiot.
Based on what?
Your opinion?
Oberkfell is widely popular, as is contraceptive use, and interracial marriage.
Who would be stupid enough to challenge them knowing no state would ever overturn them?

So is Roe. Read your own polls.

You take away one right you can take away them all.

The GOP track record sucks...
Overturning Obergfell - which i have been consistently misspelling - does not have to be broadly popular for a challenge to that ruling. It just has to be popular among Republican activists and donors in a state controlled by Republicans. Which it is.
Which it is not

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #26815 on: May 11, 2022, 12:32:52 PM »

Kid 'knows things' - so, he rejects poll numbers on this.

Your network had the figure.  Your beef isnt with me .

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #26816 on: May 11, 2022, 12:34:13 PM »

Sick.

Incurable.

shhhh....

child.

You're in no position to be calling anybody else a child, "Kid."

And even less to tell them to "shhhh...."

You are better off agreeing with me - gain some credibility.

You have no credibility except as a racist, fascist wannabe Nazi.

shhh....

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26817 on: May 11, 2022, 12:53:36 PM »

To save the lives of mothers, prevent republican candidacy in every trimester.

Do not let the abortion fight distract you from republican plans to raise you taxes and fuck up Christmas for everyone.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #26818 on: May 11, 2022, 01:44:09 PM »

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #26819 on: May 11, 2022, 02:13:08 PM »

I would have thought it was obvious that being pro-choice and being in favor of Roe (being in favor of keeping abortion legal) are not quite the same thing.  Pro-choice is a particular position, but there is a broader group, not all pro-choice, that do not believe Roe should be reversed.  While I appreciate that a pro-Roe position can range from unbridled support of abortion in all trimesters to a support of the right to access abortion before a fetal nervous system takes shape (more like 15 weeks), none of those positions will poll as in favor of reversing Roe.  Let's try to have some nuance here, and not just try to score cheap points. 

The reason Roe has been settled law for half a century

So after pointing out that opinions vary on the legitamcy of Roe you somehow conclude it is settled law?
How does that work?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 02:15:18 PM by Espnthree »
Pages: 1 ... 1786 1787 [1788] 1789 1790 ... 2921