Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1787 1788 [1789] 1790 1791 ... 2921

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 745078 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #26820 on: May 11, 2022, 02:27:19 PM »

I would have thought it was obvious that being pro-choice and being in favor of Roe (being in favor of keeping abortion legal) are not quite the same thing.  Pro-choice is a particular position, but there is a broader group, not all pro-choice, that do not believe Roe should be reversed.  While I appreciate that a pro-Roe position can range from unbridled support of abortion in all trimesters to a support of the right to access abortion before a fetal nervous system takes shape (more like 15 weeks), none of those positions will poll as in favor of reversing Roe.  Let's try to have some nuance here, and not just try to score cheap points. 

The reason Roe has been settled law for half a century

So after pointing out that opinions vary on the legitamcy of Roe you somehow conclude it is settled law?
How does that work?
I am surprised you are ignorant of the concept of stare decisis. But sometime I cannot figure out if you are an idiot or just pretend to be one.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #26821 on: May 11, 2022, 02:34:45 PM »

Nothing about the Thomas,  Alito stated views offer a pathway to revisiting Oberkfell.
And Americans are not about to reject  same sex marriage.  It has worked very well.

It's wishful thinking on their part that there would be such an attempt

Sick.

A couple of rapey racists gaslighting each other.

Incurable.
It took a SCOTUS decision to make marriage equality the law of the land despite laws in multiple states. Two of the five person majority in Obergfell have been replaced by much more conservative justices. If you do not think some if not all of those dissenting states will not attack it now, or you think an approach that looks to the past as Alito's draft does will not give those states ammunition, or that the SCOTUS of Gorsuch, Kavanagh, Barrett, Alito and Thomas are going to respect a precedent that conflicts with their religious beliefs, you are an idiot.
Based on what?
Your opinion?
Oberkfell is widely popular, as is contraceptive use, and interracial marriage.
Who would be stupid enough to challenge them knowing no state would ever overturn them?

So is Roe. Read your own polls.

You take away one right you can take away them all.

The GOP track record sucks...
Overturning Obergfell - which i have been consistently misspelling - does not have to be broadly popular for a challenge to that ruling. It just has to be popular among Republican activists and donors in a state controlled by Republicans. Which it is.
Which it is not
Which it is.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #26822 on: May 11, 2022, 02:46:53 PM »

Still missing an "e," Hairy Lim.
I do not do superfluous unpronounced es for the same reason I do not use the Oxford comma. Waste of a key stroke.
A parrot bit me.

Holly Martins

« Reply #26823 on: May 11, 2022, 02:57:13 PM »

Oh
Ber
GEH
fell

Not " Oh Berg Fell"

Obergefell-oniously yours,

Barton

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #26824 on: May 11, 2022, 02:59:20 PM »

"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

Holly Martins

« Reply #26825 on: May 11, 2022, 03:03:12 PM »

I like my pets, Emerson and Thoreau.

If I avoid the Oxford comma, I could be saying either

I like those three distinct things.  I like my pets,  and also reading those two authors.

Or

I like my pets, who are named Emerson and Thoreau.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #26826 on: May 11, 2022, 03:13:16 PM »

I like my pets, Emerson and Thoreau.

If I avoid the Oxford comma, I could be saying either

I like those three distinct things.  I like my pets,  and also reading those two authors.

Or

I like my pets, who are named Emerson and Thoreau.
I am not rigidly anti OC, and there are rare instances where it helps improve comprehension.
A parrot bit me.

Holly Martins

« Reply #26827 on: May 11, 2022, 03:15:59 PM »

Or we could stop naming pets.  Now there's a keystroke saver!

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #26828 on: May 11, 2022, 04:01:46 PM »

I feel guilty for discussing monetary issues in California with the people on the World Bank forum, so many people on there are desperately working to help people in very poor nations, but we have 60,000 homeless people in Los Angeles alone, and people are talking but I do not see a sense of urgency to help our homeless people.

And the people at HUD are too busy being racist to help the poor. The poor people come in all colors, and everyone needs housing. And the same with the SBA, everyone needs access to business loans, all races need business loans.

So, while I am trying to help Latin America, Ukraine, and the Philippines, on the World Bank forum, then so too can I work to help Anaheim, and all of California. Along with Nevada, Kentucky, and all of America.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 04:08:25 PM by FlyingVProd »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #26829 on: May 11, 2022, 04:43:53 PM »

A long time ago when I first started trying to do my production company I asked Spielberg's office at Amblin for advice, and they told me that everything that one needs for success is on the world wide web. So, that was what I tried to do, I have sent many emails to people all around the world for over 20 years trying to become successful, and of course I spent a lot of time trying to help to make the world a better place and trying to help the poor and the needy and the orphans, etc. I spent a lot of time with good intentions trying to make the world a better place with my computer on line.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #26830 on: May 11, 2022, 05:09:18 PM »

I even taught the students at Harvard back when they had a website with discussion forums, when I first tried to start my production company I received several applications from Harvard students who wanted to work for my production company.

If I ever succeed then I plan to hire some Harvard graduates to work for my company, I was honored that they wanted to work for my company.

Salute,

Tony V.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #26831 on: May 11, 2022, 05:18:47 PM »

I would have thought it was obvious that being pro-choice and being in favor of Roe (being in favor of keeping abortion legal) are not quite the same thing.  Pro-choice is a particular position, but there is a broader group, not all pro-choice, that do not believe Roe should be reversed.  While I appreciate that a pro-Roe position can range from unbridled support of abortion in all trimesters to a support of the right to access abortion before a fetal nervous system takes shape (more like 15 weeks), none of those positions will poll as in favor of reversing Roe.  Let's try to have some nuance here, and not just try to score cheap points. 

The reason Roe has been settled law for half a century

So after pointing out that opinions vary on the legitamcy of Roe you somehow conclude it is settled law?
How does that work?
I am surprised you are ignorant of the concept of stare decisis. But sometime I cannot figure out if you are an idiot or just pretend to be one.
I guess you are not much of a student of stare decisis  since it is not a blanket principle.
You must not have read the leaked opinion or paid much attention to the Roberts Court.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #26832 on: May 11, 2022, 06:26:26 PM »

Just asking but:

Under what delusional theory of constitutional law do Democrats think Congress has the legitimate power to supplant the abortion laws of the states?

Note that the Senate failed miserably to codify
Federal Law to allow abortions right through birth.
Could not even get 50 votes. I guess Schumer did not read Pew research which shows just 19 per cent of voters favor no restrictions on abortion.

Biden could have underscored his goal of diversity if he had picked Joe Manchin to be his Vice President because Manchin fills a gaping diversity hole in the Biden administration:
Intelligence and Experience.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #26833 on: May 11, 2022, 06:34:30 PM »

Just asking but:

Under what delusional theory of constitutional law do Democrats think Congress has the legitimate power to supplant the abortion laws of the states?
The same theory McConnell is talking about using you CPH.
A parrot bit me.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #26834 on: May 11, 2022, 06:39:48 PM »

Nothing about the Thomas,  Alito stated views offer a pathway to revisiting Oberkfell.
And Americans are not about to reject  same sex marriage.  It has worked very well.

It's wishful thinking on their part that there would be such an attempt

Sick.

A couple of rapey racists gaslighting each other.

Incurable.

shhhh....

child.

You're in no position to be calling anybody else a child, "Kid."

And even less to tell them to "shhhh...."

You are better off agreeing with me - gain some credibility.

You have no credibility except as a racist, fascist wannabe Nazi.

shhh....

Did Joe Biden win the election?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 1787 1788 [1789] 1790 1791 ... 2921