Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1811 1812 [1813] 1814 1815 ... 2922

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 746165 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #27180 on: May 20, 2022, 11:33:32 AM »

Ivy madness.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/princeton-fire-professor-woke-politics

The funny to me thing is that had it only come out that Princeton still had a faculty member who'd been found guilty of (a) having sexual relations with a student and (b) had discouraged the student from seeking psychiatric care when the student was feeling suicidal, you would have been outraged, then, too.

I also love that not only do some folks feel he is being targeted for his beliefs, but that the article notes that his lawyer agrees with them!

While I would hope it is not for his beliefs he is being discharged, the truth is he should have been discharged long ago.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Holly Martins

« Reply #27181 on: May 20, 2022, 12:36:46 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/19/us/princeton-professor-joshua-katz.html   (it's probably on archive.ph, if anyone has PW issues)

Since the prof had the relation with a student 15 years ago, and was penalized at the time, it leaves a gap of explanation that reports don't seem to have access to.  They did not really dig anything up - it was all excavated 15 years ago.  As for his free speech, Princeton has explicitly supported free speech, so I don't see any basis there for firing him. 

Princeton president, Christopher Eisgruber, has cultivated a reputation as a defender of free speech. The university adopted the Chicago Principles, a commitment to free speech, even if it is offensive, that was formulated at the University of Chicago.

It does seem possible that the prof is, as another professor suggested, positioning himself to play a certain role in the culture wars by framing this as a persecution.  Really would need more info on what all his transgressions were 15 years ago and how they impact his teaching now. 

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #27182 on: May 20, 2022, 01:12:49 PM »

Detailed factual report on how Abbott used windfall profits to enrich investors instead of replacing failing equipment, leading to cronobacter contamination.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/may/20/abbott-baby-formula-shareholder-profits

Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #27183 on: May 20, 2022, 01:29:09 PM »

So long as one party plays politics to score points, the entire nation will suffer.
Seen the Biden poll numbers lately?

Hahahahaha!

It is May 20, dawg!

41 approve

20 strong approve

Let me know any time you want an update

Yeah, update me in late October.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27184 on: May 20, 2022, 01:33:55 PM »

So long as one party plays politics to score points, the entire nation will suffer.
Seen the Biden poll numbers lately?

Hahahahaha!

It is May 20, dawg!

41 approve

20 strong approve

Let me know any time you want an update

Yeah, update me in late October.

Of 2047.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27185 on: May 20, 2022, 01:34:21 PM »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #27186 on: May 20, 2022, 01:43:53 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/19/us/princeton-professor-joshua-katz.html   (it's probably on archive.ph, if anyone has PW issues)

Since the prof had the relation with a student 15 years ago, and was penalized at the time, it leaves a gap of explanation that reports don't seem to have access to.  They did not really dig anything up - it was all excavated 15 years ago.  As for his free speech, Princeton has explicitly supported free speech, so I don't see any basis there for firing him. 

Princeton president, Christopher Eisgruber, has cultivated a reputation as a defender of free speech. The university adopted the Chicago Principles, a commitment to free speech, even if it is offensive, that was formulated at the University of Chicago.

It does seem possible that the prof is, as another professor suggested, positioning himself to play a certain role in the culture wars by framing this as a persecution.  Really would need more info on what all his transgressions were 15 years ago and how they impact his teaching now.

The guy is an asshole. By cultivating controversy he opened the window to examine prior bad acts.

Dating undergraduates in itself is not illegal but doing so serially and then marrying a former undergrad student is a klaxon horn sounding trouble.

How long before more former students come forward with harassment complaints?

I hope he gets thoroughly flogged.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #27187 on: May 20, 2022, 01:54:10 PM »

The work that I have been doing thusfar with the World Bank is working to help to bridge the gap between the rich and the poor, and I have been working to help to give the poor people the same opportunities that the rich people have.

So far they seem to like my ideas.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #27188 on: May 20, 2022, 02:10:57 PM »

If Rick Caruso wins as Mayor of Los Angeles then he is going to build 30,000 beds for the homeless people in the first year. Right now we have 60,000 homeless people on the streets of Los Angeles.

My idea is for Los Angeles to have hostels like in Rome, Italy, where people can take a nice hot shower and where they can sleep in a nice comfortable bed for $15 per night. The hostels can run tax free in order to entice people to open and run hostels. Then there can be wrap-around services at the hostels, including internet cafes, laundromat, 24 hour convenience store, 24 hour donut shop, etc, a book store, etc.

There can also be communes in Battle Mountain, Nevada, where people can do farming, etc, and they can do trade with San Francisco, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #27189 on: May 20, 2022, 02:17:11 PM »

Biden has hold of just the black vote.

63 per cent.  Down from 89 last year.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #27190 on: May 20, 2022, 02:34:49 PM »

It is sad to have the highest surplus in American history while having record numbers of homeless people. The money should have went to help the homeless. We should break even, and everyone should be helped with the basics of food, shelter, healthcare, and education.

Salute,

Tony V.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #27191 on: May 20, 2022, 02:45:28 PM »

Biden has hold of just the black vote.

63 per cent.  Down from 89 last year.

Why not?

Manchin, Sinema and the moderate House democrats shanked the Biden Administration policy initiatives after the Black vote put him on the ticket, put him office and elected TWO Senators in Georgia.

They let Tim Scott kill police reform.

Guess, what?

It does not matter at this stage of the election cycle.

But you keep on wishing and hoping the nation will fail and become New Hungary

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27192 on: May 20, 2022, 02:57:12 PM »

You can go along way killing Black people in America. Buffalo will not be forgotten. Attica will not be forgotten. Greensboro will not be forgotten. Desalonde will not be forgotten. America should be thankful Black people are asking for justice and not revenge.

if you want revenge, you can have it. And it doesn't take luck. It takes showing up at the polls with greater than 70% of the Black eligible population. And it takes getting Asians and Hispanics to join you.

You realize that is the reason for the Stop the Steal Big Lie.

That coalition got Democratic victories in 2018, 2019 and 2020.

If only WHITE women would stop voting GOP we would have a just society.

How many times can Black voters save America from herself?

Well, then find a way to appeal to white women. Let's hear your ideas on that matter.

With a nod to Freud (was it Sigmund?), "What does a white woman want?"

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27193 on: May 20, 2022, 03:03:28 PM »

Apartheid

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/may/17/pro-israel-lobby-defeat-democrats-palestinians-2022

False equivalency, and you know it. Then again, you don't hide your anti-Semitism very well, Bama.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #27194 on: May 20, 2022, 03:07:16 PM »

President Joe Biden

4 hours

I just toured a cutting edge plant in the Republic of Korea that makes some of the most advanced semiconductor chips in the world. Thanks to the investment that Samsung is making, the United States will have a facility like this one in Texas, creating 3,000 good-paying jobs.

--------------

We need to bring in the smartest people from around the world to teach our poor people in Kentucky the skills needed for the jobs of the future, we need for former coal towns to have factories building Apple Laptops, etc. And we can build Apple phones in Kentucky, etc.

We need to bring in the top people from around the world to teach our poor towns how to do the jobs of the future.

And you would be surprised how smart some of those children are in the poor towns, and some poor towns have excellent teachers for the children. In Battle Mountain, Nevada, the children are really smart, they are raising scientists in Nevada now. The kids in America are smart, we need for the kids to have good teachers. And our adults can do the jobs of the future, we just need to bring in good people to teach our people.

Salute,

Tony V.
Pages: 1 ... 1811 1812 [1813] 1814 1815 ... 2922