Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 1846 1847 [1848] 1849 1850 ... 2924

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 749458 times)

Holly Martins

Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #27705 on: June 03, 2022, 06:30:03 PM »

Turkiye? My autocorrect is not a fan. And I suspect josh s surrogate will reject the umlaut.

Turkei is an acceptable spelling also.

No, they have rejected that spelling as well.  Turkey, Turquie, and Turkei are all now rejected spellings. 

No country spelling for old men, for those tattered coats hung upon a stick.  Or some Yeatsian thing like that.  I hope I don't get a Yeats infection.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 06:31:49 PM by Barton3.0 »

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27706 on: June 03, 2022, 06:32:00 PM »

I think it is pronounced Tur-key-YAY, which sounds very affirming.
A parrot bit me.

Holly Martins

« Reply #27707 on: June 03, 2022, 06:33:00 PM »

https://www.wonkette.com/republicans-very-mad-at-dems-for-pointing-out-that-they-aren-t-going-to-do-shit-to-stop-kids-getting-shot

How dare you. You think we dont have hearts? screeched Texas Congressman Louie Gohmert during this mornings House hearing on gun control.
Perhaps he should threaten to kill AOC again.

Louie schooling asscrack Dems.  Thanks for sharing.
Insightful and persuasive!  Thanks for sharing. 

Holly Martins

« Reply #27708 on: June 03, 2022, 06:35:45 PM »

About those polls

Newsweek

Over Half Of Americans Do Not See School Shootings As A Guns Problem

Smith Wesson, Remington Arms, and the NRA have succeeded in their brainwashing campaign.  Congratulations on having your thoughts fed to you by the arms industry.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #27709 on: June 03, 2022, 06:38:25 PM »

Turkiye? My autocorrect is not a fan. And I suspect josh s surrogate will reject the umlaut.

Turkei is an acceptable spelling also.

No, they have rejected that spelling as well.  Turkey, Turquie, and Turkei are all now rejected spellings. 

No country spelling for old men, for those tattered coats hung upon a stick.  Or some Yeatsian thing like that.  I hope I don't get a Yeats infection.
In college, I once tried to chat up a poetry reading co-ed by pretending to a level of knowledge of poetry i did not have but thought I could fake. Only to pronounce the name of the poet she was reading as if it rhymed with Keats. I left, as weary hearted as that hollow moon.

Boring story? Sure but you should have seen the one I was going to post about my friend punching a hole in his Opel and thank me for the brevity.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #27710 on: June 03, 2022, 06:41:09 PM »

About those polls

Newsweek

Smith Wesson, Remington Arms, and the NRA have succeeded in their brainwashing campaign.  Congratulations on having your thoughts fed to you by the arms industry.
Yes but what the CPH, PL ignores is all the polls showing solid majorities for things like background checks, assault rifle bans, limits on magazine size, etc. Assuming the PROVEN LIAR is even reporting the Newsweek poll accurately, which I doubt.
A parrot bit me.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #27711 on: June 03, 2022, 06:46:41 PM »

About those polls

Newsweek

Yes but what the CPH, PL ignores is all the polls showing solid majorities for things like background checks, assault rifle bans, limits on magazine size, etc. Assuming the PROVEN LIAR is even reporting the Newsweek poll accurately, which I doubt.
Well,you could research the Newsweek poll and argue its  findings if you can.
But since you have already missed the point of citing polls in chat rooms you best move on.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #27712 on: June 03, 2022, 06:47:34 PM »

A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #27713 on: June 03, 2022, 06:49:43 PM »

About those polls

Newsweek

But since you have already missed the point of citing polls in chat rooms you best move on.
It is less of a waste of time and more frequently correct just to assume you are lying.

And other to denounce you as a liar and a hack there is no point in engaging with anything you post because you never engage, ever.
A parrot bit me.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #27714 on: June 03, 2022, 06:50:16 PM »

About those polls

Newsweek

If you want to debate facts go for it.
If Newsweek is part of the Arms Industry it pretty much has done a bait and switch no?

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #27715 on: June 03, 2022, 06:54:13 PM »

About those polls

Newsweek

It is less of a waste of time and more frequently correct just to assume you are lying.

And other to denounce you as a liar and a hack there is no point in engaging with anything you post because you never engage, ever.
Actually you refuse to engage.
That is your raison d etre
Always has been.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #27716 on: June 03, 2022, 07:01:55 PM »

About those polls

Newsweek

Always has been.
LOL. You may want to give that one.more thought.
A parrot bit me.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27717 on: June 03, 2022, 07:11:12 PM »

The Newsweek poll is a study in contrasts.

At the same time that that majority said the shootings are a mental health problem, not a guns problem, "66 percent of respondents describe the Uvalde school shooting as "an act of violence," while 53 percent said that it was "an act of mental illness."

I think the public's view on this is muddled, but that's not news.

And even with that, in another poll, "Around 41 percent of respondents said that stricter gun laws would have prevented the shootings, while 40 percent said they wouldn't have. Meanwhile, 18 percent said that they are not sure."

I have to say that I am in the "not sure" category, because new laws for the sake of new laws are no assurance of protection - but that doesn't mean that they couldn't be, either.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #27718 on: June 03, 2022, 07:15:15 PM »

About those polls

Newsweek

Always has been.
LOL. You may want to give that one.more thought.

LOL
Thanks for confirming.

Holly Martins

« Reply #27719 on: June 03, 2022, 07:18:37 PM »

If someone posts an opinion based on a poll, it's up to them to provide a link.  Not going to do the hod carrying for a CPH.

It's pretty easy to frame a poll question (and interpretation) to simplify down what someone thinks so that nuance - like possibly school shootings have more than one cause - is erased.  Someone may think society's mental health is a more root cause of school shootings, but that doesn't mean they would disagree with restricting weapons access as a measure that would also help. 

Treating pyromania helps stop child arsonists but we also understand keeping matches away is useful.
Pages: 1 ... 1846 1847 [1848] 1849 1850 ... 2924