Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 2048 2049 [2050] 2051 2052 ... 2718

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 499404 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #30735 on: August 15, 2022, 11:22:51 AM »

Fully avoiding fossil-fuel investments is impractical, many investors say, because oil, gas and coal still account for about 80% of world energy. Energy and food shortages driven by the war in Ukraine have hammered home that reality while highlighting the risks of haphazard shifts away from fossil fuels in some European countries.

The bill passed Friday by the House of Representatives appears to take a similar tack. Principal backer Sen. Joe Manchin (D., W.Va.) and others have dubbed it an all-in energy policy.

The answer is not either or, It is all of the above.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/wall-street-like-the-climate-bill-bets-on-both-green-energy-and-fossil-fuels-11660345793?mod=hp_lead_pos8

Or https://archive.ph/4tCup if you don't have a subscription.

And how many GOP. voted yes on that bill?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30736 on: August 15, 2022, 11:32:19 AM »

MSNBC chart

- Biden's Big Wins

*  Plummeting Gas Prices

Can't make it up.

Well, because it's true. If you are looking for things that are made up, you'll have to switch the channel.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 11:37:50 AM by Hamilton Samuels »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #30737 on: August 15, 2022, 11:35:43 AM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #30738 on: August 15, 2022, 11:37:08 AM »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30739 on: August 15, 2022, 12:03:32 PM »

"The country is on fire" was the message that Donald Trump had an intermediary deliver to Merrick Garland.

cnn.com/videos/politics/2022/08/15/merrick-garland-donald-trump-doj-message-haberman-newday-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/this-week-in-politics/
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30740 on: August 15, 2022, 12:14:03 PM »

"One (question) is whether or not the search itself was justified. We have this list from the FBI, but we don't have conclusive (proof) as to whether or not this actually is classified material and whether or not it rises to the level of the highest classified material," Ohio Rep. Mike Turner, the top Republican on the House Intelligence Committee, said on CNN's "State of the Union."

Turner's gambit continued to raise the question of whether the Justice Department overreached in the extraordinary move of obtaining a search warrant to enter a former President's property. But it was also just the latest GOP attempt to defend Trump, still a massively powerful force in the party, that ignored key issues that include why a former President needed to hold on to highly sensitive documents.

(a) Yes, even if Trump had declassified them, why did he have them at Mar-a-Lago?

but (b) Remember that the search was apparently prompted by a witness who saw some of these documents - and if they had been declassified, but not marked as such, then anybody seeing them would assume they were truly still classified, justifying the search.

Whose fault would it be if they had been declassified but unmarked?! Not the FBI's!

Further, even if declassified (which I doubt), they still did not belong at Mar-a-Lago.

But truth be told, Rep. Turner and the GOP are being led by nose-ring, again, to try to defend a man who has conned them repeatedly with his lies and evasions.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30741 on: August 15, 2022, 12:29:42 PM »

Rep Fitzgerald (R-PA) makes a far less incendiary defense and cautions his colleagues from his own party about their words. Of course, he is former FBI, himself.

https://archive.ph/vYaUc

The article points out, also, that some documents are not allowed to be removed and made insecure even if they have been declassified, according to the law.

Rand Paul called for eliminating the Espionage Act, but I doubt most of his fellow GOP members have the stomach for that - certainly not at this point.

Holly Martins

« Reply #30742 on: August 15, 2022, 12:34:25 PM »

The real fire this time is fueled by a genuine wish to see justice served and experience a brief moment where money/power didn't put someone above the law.  Not every fire is partisan outrage.

Trump's talk of fire, of course, is his standard shit-stirring.  He always wants people to see through carnage-colored glasses.  He wants to keep the Overton Window set where threats of violence and defensive lying are the norm. 

Ham - good cartoons, though a lot of people will question putting Afghanistan withdrawal in the win box.  I think moderates/indep.  will give him the legislative wins and the low unemployment rate, but would balk at Afghanistan.  But if Afghan is a minus, it's everyone's minus going back half a dozen administrations.  If Americans ever grow the fuck up, one sign will be that they understand that volatile overseas situations are not something we can control or drop trillions on to fix.  Goatfucks will be goatfucks.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30743 on: August 15, 2022, 12:35:25 PM »

Meanwhile:
https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/15/politics/lindsey-graham-georgia-investigation/index.html

Shockingly enough, a federal judge ruled that Graham must comply with the Georgia subpoena.

Holly Martins

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30745 on: August 15, 2022, 12:43:58 PM »

That little twerp Lindseed Graham loses in court: https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/08/15/trump-2020-election-georgia-investigation/

https://archive.ph/kyRt5

"The Court finds that the District Attorney has shown extraordinary circumstances and a special need for Senator Graham's testimony on issues relating to alleged attempts to influence or disrupt the lawful administration of Georgia's 2022 elections," the judge wrote.

If he didn't want to be involved, he should not have called - multiple times.

His lawyers' claims that he was just trying to understand the process, not to influence it, will be for jurors to decide, if it gets that far (which it sounds as if it should).

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30746 on: August 15, 2022, 12:50:15 PM »

In the CNN coverage of the Graham decision, it discusses the Senator's claim to "absolute immunity" under the Constitution for those phone calls.

"Because the record must be more fully developed before the Court can address the applicability of the 'Speech or Debate' clause to specific questions or lines of inquiry, and because Senator Graham's only request in removing the subpoena to this Court was to quash the subpoena in its entirety, the Case is REMANDED to the Superior Court of Fulton County for further proceedings," May wrote in the ruling.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30747 on: August 15, 2022, 01:04:24 PM »

Haha.  Phoenix doesn't dig basements, I gather.  No shovel is hard enough to penetrate the hardpan or suchlike.  Or maybe developers just don't know their ass from a....

Also the absence of a frost line (so the footing only has to be eighteen inches below grade).   So not just caliche.   Trying to imagine a Midwest life sans basements.  Failing.

Would seem to impose a severe burden on garages.
Or as we call them, residence connected storage facilities. Almost no one uses them for cars.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #30748 on: August 15, 2022, 01:06:06 PM »

The real fire this time is fueled by a genuine wish to see justice served and experience a brief moment where money/power didn't put someone above the law.  Not every fire is partisan outrage.

I dont disagree

But to get what they want they need to go FELONY.  That's a tough road.   
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30749 on: August 15, 2022, 01:16:44 PM »

I dont disagree

But to get what they want they need to go FELONY.  That's a tough road.   
Well, no, because the elements of the crime have not changed, just the penalty.

The rough road is the question of knowledge and intent, which is hard to prove without an overt act or statement, like Patreus telling his mistress not to let anyone see the docs he gave her  excuse they were classified. Or the sailor who tried to destroy evidence as soon as the investigation started. Or, I suppose, keeping the docs after being told to turn them over.... Or lying about having them.... Or being inconsistent in your statements about them....

The inability to prove knowledge and intent is what prevented Clinton from getting charged. That and honest cooperation with the Federal investigation.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.
Pages: 1 ... 2048 2049 [2050] 2051 2052 ... 2718