Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 2350 2351 [2352] 2353 2354 ... 2718

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 499238 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #35265 on: July 07, 2023, 01:16:27 PM »

http://www.salon.com/2023/07/07/will-entitled-people-now-that-affirmative-action-is-over/

Modern conservatism is a direct result of the widespread failure of conservative parents to adequately raise their children.

If you want to understand the Christian Right the book to read is Lord of the Flies.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #35266 on: July 07, 2023, 03:53:45 PM »

I am posting the entire opinion from a guest writer at the Wall Street Journal on Wednesday.
You are free to comment

The statistical analysis in the article is correct.  Jackson quoted a mathematically flawed claim.  All of which is irrelevant to the larger public good that derives from having more Black physicians.  Which is explained, with more accurate math, here:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/21/health/black-doctors-shortage-us/index.html
The math that is more telling:
80 per cent of black families are single parent, mostly women.
Medical school is unreachable for many black kids since they are needed to work from high school on so the family can survive.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #35267 on: July 07, 2023, 04:17:30 PM »

We need to address systemic racism. We also need to be very skeptical about white people trying to put themselves into positions of authority in government and business. 
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35268 on: July 07, 2023, 04:29:13 PM »

I am posting the entire opinion from a guest writer at the Wall Street Journal on Wednesday.
You are free to comment

The statistical analysis in the article is correct.  Jackson quoted a mathematically flawed claim.  All of which is irrelevant to the larger public good that derives from having more Black physicians.  Which is explained, with more accurate math, here:

Medical school is unreachable for many black kids since they are needed to work from high school on so the family can survive.
So how do you intend to correct that, or do you envision a permanent future with an African American underclass?
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #35269 on: July 07, 2023, 04:41:09 PM »

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/7/7/2179812/-How-California-teenagers-killed-a-notorious-prison-system

The browning youth of today are just better than kids in any previous generation. It also shows what a decade or so without republicans can do for any polity.

Richard P. Feynman

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #35270 on: July 07, 2023, 04:42:56 PM »

You are free to comment

So how do you intend to correct that, or do you envision a permanent future with an African American underclass?
I have no idea on a fix for the breakup of the nuclear family.
But it certainly is not affirmative action since it does not address the problem.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #35271 on: July 07, 2023, 04:48:29 PM »

Republicans have no ideas that help the family. Red cannot even steal one from the shitty writers he pays off.

Richard P. Feynman

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #35272 on: July 07, 2023, 05:22:52 PM »

You are free to comment

But it certainly is not affirmative action since it does not address the problem.

Biden wants to start with free pre-school and free community college for all Americans, and that is a start, and education is the answer to our problems, and the students can study healthy parenting skills and relationship skills and healthy communication, and healthy conflict resolution skills, etc.

And my Father died when I was 9 years old, I am not Black but I grew up without a Father, and it was hard, I had to work 12 hours per day washing dogs for my Grandmother who was a dog groomer in order to help to pay the rent and to help to pay the bills and buy food, at 10 years old I could already work a 12 hour day to help the family. I am not Black, but I experienced extreme poverty, and hunger, as a kid, and I worked hard so that I could help our family to eat. My Mother did not want Welfare, she was trying to be proud, we had a nice house and she hid our poverty, but I was always skinny because food was a luxury that we could not afford, I had to work to help to buy food. I mowed my neighbor's lawns for money, etc, I did whatever I could. And instead of working to make money for companies owned by my own family, I had to work for slave wages to make money for other people and I was never paid well. I worked hard, and I went to community college, and I attended The American Academy of Dramatic Arts, to try to work to earn a better life for myself and to be able to find a wife and support a family, but the Entertainment Industry is hard, and I was never able to get work in the Entertainment Industry. But, I had 2 Uncles who grew up without a Father, as my Grandfather died in an automobile accident so they too grew up without a Father, and they turned out to be criminals and they spent their whole lives in prison, and at least I am not a criminal and I never went to prison. I am poor, but I am a good Christian with good values, and I tried to do everything honestly. It is hard to grow up without a Father, but if we can reach the children young and if we can teach them empathy and compassion for other people, and if we can teach them good values, and if we can teach them how to lead good honest lives, then we can improve things. I never succeeded, but I am not a criminal and I never went to prison like my Uncles, and I have compassion and empathy for other people, and if we can get the poor people to at least turn out as well as I did then we will be making progress. And I am not done yet, I am older but wiser and I still have some time left on this earth.

Pre-school, and community college, and parenting classes and relationship classes and communication classes, etc, for all students would be valuable for society. Then the students with high aptitude can continue to study and train to become doctors, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 05:37:38 PM by FlyingVProd »

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35273 on: July 07, 2023, 05:41:10 PM »

You are free to comment

Yes, it does, by working on the underlying issues of poverty that leads to the breakup of families and the need for second incomes.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #35274 on: July 07, 2023, 06:44:47 PM »

You are free to comment

The Justice Jackson Incredible Statistic
Her dissent from the ruling on affirmative action makes an obviously implausible claim.

By Ted Frank
July 5, 2023 at 6:12 pm ET

Even Supreme Court justices are known to be gullible. In a dissent from its ruling against racial preferences in college admissions, Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson enumerated purported benefits of diversity in education.
It saves lives
she asserts. For high-risk Black newborns, having a Black physician more than doubles the likelihood that the baby will live.

A moment of  thought should be enough to realize that this claim is wildly implausible.
Imagine if 40% of black newborns died, thousands of dead infants every week. But even so, that is  a 60% survival rate, which is mathematically impossible to double.
And the actual survival rate is over 99%.

How could Justice Jackson make such an innumerate mistake? A footnote cites a friend of the court brief by the Association of American Medical Colleges, which makes the same claim in almost identical language. It, in turn, refers to a 2020 study whose lead author is Brad Greenwood, a professor at the George Mason University School of Business.

The study makes no such claims.
 It examines mortality rates in Florida newborns between 1992 and 2015 and shows a 0.13% to 0.2% improvement in survival rates for black newborns with black pediatricians (though no statistically significant improvement for black obstetricians).

The AAMC brief either misunderstood the paper or invented the statistic. (It is not saved by the adjective high risk, which does not appear and is not measured in the Greenwood paper.)

Even the much more modest Greenwood result which amounts to a difference of fewer than 10 Florida newborns a year is flawed. It uses linear regression, appropriate for modeling continuous normally distributed variables like height or LSAT scores but not for categorical low probability events like  newborn death.
The proper methodology would be a logistic model. The authors did one, hidden deep in an appendix rather than the body of the paper.

There, the most highly specified model still shows an improvement in black newborn survival. But if you know how to read the numbers, the authors do not say it, it also shows black doctors with a statistically significant higher mortality rate for white newborns, and a higher mortality rate overall, all else being equal.

So we have a Supreme Court justice parroting a mathematically absurd claim coming from an interested party mischaracterization of a flawed study. Her opinion then urges all of us to do what evidence and experts tell us is required to level the playing field and march forward together.

Instead we should watch where we are going.

Mr. Frank is a senior attorney with the Hamilton Lincoln Law Institute, which filed an amicus brief in support of the petitioners in SFFA v. Harvard.

The guy is a Federalist and on the team that vetted Sarah Palin.

Fuck that guy.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #35275 on: July 07, 2023, 06:51:08 PM »

The guy stops red from feeling so lonely as a douche bag. As long as there is at least one more jackass in the universe red will post his wit and wisdom here.

Richard P. Feynman

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #35276 on: July 07, 2023, 07:01:52 PM »

You are free to comment

Yes, it does, by working on the underlying issues of poverty that leads to the breakup of families and the need for second incomes.
How do you do that?

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #35277 on: July 07, 2023, 07:42:31 PM »

When I was in Rome, Italy, I made friends with a retired school teacher from New York who bought an Irish pub in Rome after he retired. He was cool, he used to serve me free pints of Guinness and talk, he loved having an American to talk with, and he told me that when he was a public school teacher in New York City he hated it, and he feared for his life, so he quit. And then he went to work at a Catholic school as a teacher, and all of a sudden the children really wanted to learn, and he loved teaching at the Catholic school. He worked at the Catholic school until he retired, and then he went to Rome and opened an Irish pub. He was a great guy, I loved hanging out with him and drinking beer with him.

So what we need to do is we need to teach the children in the public schools whatever it is that makes the children in the Catholic schools drastically different. Instead of being mean, and violent, and selfish, we need to figure how to reach them young and teach them to be kind, gentle, empathetic, and compassionate. Christians are taught to love our neighbors, so we need to teach the children in the public schools to love their neighbors even if they are not Christians. In Anaheim we are teaching all children to be kind, and our City Motto is "City of Kindness." So we need to teach all children to be kind. And Christians are taught to work and to be responsible and to earn their own money, so Christians know the value of an education, and that is passed down to the children. My family was already teaching me to read and they were giving me books before I even started school, and I learned to love books, and I have a natural sense of curiosity which we need to nurture in all youth. We need to reach the children young and we need to teach them kindness, and to love their neighbors, and we need to teach them responsibility as they become old enough to learn responsibility. ( One way that I learned responsibility as a child was that we had farm animals that I took care of, I fed the cows, and I had a pony that I took care of, and I fed the chickens, etc. I was responsible for feeding the animals before I came in and had breakfast, this was all before my Father died. After my Father died then I had to work to help to buy food, and I worked with my Grandmother who was a dog groomer, I learned to work. ) I loved school as a kid and I was an over-achiever, and so I used to help the other children, the teachers made me a student helper and I helped the other kids, we need to nurture that in all kids.

As we reach the children young with free pre-school then we need to teach them empathy, compassion, kindness, and we need to nurture their sense of curiosity and we need to set the public school kids with the same good qualities that the Christian school children have.

Then later in life with free community college then we can teach them parenting skills and relationship skills and they can explore what they want for their career to be, etc, and the ones with aptitude can go on to become doctors, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 07:53:09 PM by FlyingVProd »

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #35278 on: July 07, 2023, 08:02:24 PM »

You are free to comment

How do you do that?

College fund for children of families in poverty, with active outreach to poor communities.  Maybe incentive bonus or tuition extended to graduate programs (like med school) to graduates who come back and serve their communities for a certain duration.  You could combine the best features of AA and reparations while also helping those in rural poverty ( rural areas are especially struggling with poverty and lack of professional services). 
Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #35279 on: July 07, 2023, 09:54:45 PM »

California is exploring ways to give reparations to Black people who have been affected by slavery in the past as well as racism since then, up until the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and the Civil Rights Act of 1968. After 1968 we all have guaranteed equality under the law on the issue of jobs and housing. Anyhow, as they are looking for ways to help the poor Black people, then I suggest we give them reparations by sending them to college, and by giving them job training, and by giving them low interest Business Loans, etc. We can help the poor Black people to help themselves. We can give them a free education, training, and Business Loans. Education is the Great Equalizer, and we can give the poor Blacks a hand up and equality by giving them a free education.

But, I do not want to just give free money for nothing to all of the Black people. Fuck that. That is not equality.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 09:56:52 PM by FlyingVProd »
Pages: 1 ... 2350 2351 [2352] 2353 2354 ... 2718