Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 2807 2808 [2809] 2810 2811 ... 2914

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 739453 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #42120 on: July 15, 2024, 03:59:28 PM »

My condolences to the Vance family. Sane reasonable and moral people do not put themselves too close to that guy.

Rubio and Scott got lucky and should be a lot safer than they otherwise would be had the eye of evil fallen in love with them.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #42121 on: July 15, 2024, 04:03:52 PM »

http://www.vox.com/politics/360283/jd-vance-trump-vp-vice-president-authoritarian

Fuck that guy and all the death he wishes on America.

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #42122 on: July 15, 2024, 04:08:15 PM »

Trump owns a federal judge.  Another box checked off on the autocracy checklist. 

Ignoring decades of legal precedent.  Where have I seen that before...

LOL

In short, the argument goes like this...

Hope this helps.

The judge did not need to consider dismissal of the indictment since Smith was an officer, deputized by the AG to prosecute the case as allowed under the appointments clause of the constitution.  An established procedure for half a century.  Helps prosecute bad guys in high places. Hope this helps. 

Trump committed felonies - stole documents, obstructed retrieval, and defied a subpoena.  If Biden did all that, you would be cheering his special prosecutor on and you would be pointing out the same thing that legal professionals all over the nation have been pointing out. 
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #42123 on: July 15, 2024, 04:18:15 PM »

http://www.vox.com/politics/360283/jd-vance-trump-vp-vice-president-authoritarian

Second that.  He is all in for Plan Nine From Outer Space, er I mean Project 2025.  And it is not a call for violence to say that he is like Trump an existential threat to democracy. 
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #42124 on: July 15, 2024, 04:21:31 PM »

Second that.  He is all in for Plan Nine From Outer Space, er I mean Project 2025.  And it is not a call for violence to say that he is like Trump an existential threat to democracy.
Did you forget to throw in racist, fascist and a wanna be Hitler, like AOC?
LOL!

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #42125 on: July 15, 2024, 04:31:59 PM »

Trump owns a federal judge.  Another box checked off on the autocracy checklist. 

LOL

In short, the argument goes like this...

Hope this helps.

The judge did not need to consider dismissal of the indictment since Smith was an officer, deputized by the AG to prosecute the case as allowed under the appointments clause of the constitution.  An established procedure for half a century.  Helps prosecute bad guys in high places. Hope this helps. 
It does not.
Trump committed felonies - stole documents, obstructed retrieval, and defied a subpoena.  If Biden did all that, you would be cheering his special prosecutor on and you would be pointing out the same thing that legal professionals all over the nation have been pointing out.
His special prosecutor found plenty of Biden guilt. There was no indictment since that prosecutor believed  a jury would not convict due to Biden mental incompentcy .  A fact we now all know to be true.
How convenient that Justice department decision was, since it left the road open to indict Trump.
And now the Biden and Trump documents can just be more sand though the hourglass.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #42126 on: July 15, 2024, 04:36:04 PM »

Red can't wait to vote for Trump!!!!
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #42127 on: July 15, 2024, 04:36:10 PM »

GOP scuttlebutt says Trump will tab Ohio Senator  J D Vance for his Veep tonight as the Convention opens.

If elected the Vance Senate Seat would go to  Vivek Ramaswamy who ran the GOP Presidential  nomination this past year.

By the time you posted this scuttlebutt the annowas two hours old.
"There you go givin a fuck when it's not your turn to give a fuck"

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #42128 on: July 15, 2024, 04:37:55 PM »

Did you forget to throw in racist, fascist and a wanna be Hitler, like AOC?
LOL!

That would all have been true statements.
The fact you are cheering for autocracy say much about your lack of patriotism

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #42129 on: July 15, 2024, 04:43:05 PM »

GOP scuttlebutt says Trump will tab Ohio Senator  J D Vance for his Veep tonight as the Convention opens.

If elected the Vance Senate Seat would go to  Vivek Ramaswamy who ran the GOP Presidential  nomination this past year.

It takes a while for information to get to 1930's Germany.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #42130 on: July 15, 2024, 04:50:44 PM »

It takes a while for information to get to 1930's Germany.

But now the word is out, the republican party is officially the exclusive domain of people who enjoy being buttfucked while giving a fascist salute and screaming Deutschland Uber Alles.

If that does not sound like you it is now time to leave the grand old building before the the bright fanatics around dear leader get to cooking your ass.

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #42131 on: July 15, 2024, 04:57:05 PM »

LOL

In short, the argument goes like this

First, the power to initiate and prosecute criminal cases in the name of the United States is an executive power that can only be exercised by an officer of the United States. In a typical case, that power is exercised by the U.S. Attorney for a particular district, or by a senior official of the Justice Department   and carried out by subordinates under their supervision. The whole theory of an independent special counsel is that he is appointed as a substitute for such an officer, and operates without direct oversight by anyone in DOJ, although he is ultimately accountable to the attorney general. The special counsel regulation purports to vest him with the full power and authority to exercise all investigative and prosecutorial functions of any United States Attorney. Thus, standing in the place of a U.S. Attorney and exercising at least the same powers, he must be an officer of the United States.

Second,
there are two ways to become an officer, and many positions meet both of them You can be appointed by the president with Senate confirmation, or your position can be created by statute (thus, established by Law.

Third,
many special counsels, such as David Weiss (the special counsel for Hunter Biden), are already officers of the United States because they are currently serving as U.S. Attorneys. Because of this, there have not been a lot of serious challenges to their appointments. But Smith was a private citizen when appointed.

Fourth,
Smith is not appointed by Biden. He is not Senate confirmed. So, he can be an officer only if some law created his position.

Fifth,
it did not Smith s role is created only by regulations issued by the attorney general (they were promulgated by Janet Reno after the Independent Counsel law expired in 1999). Unlike the old Independent Counsel statute, there is no special-counsel law.

Hope this helps.

Some thoughts on todays order by Judge Cannon dismissing documents case:

Her decision that special counsel regs are unconstitutional conflicts with decisions in every other court to decide the issue;

Dismissal is based on a procedural issue regarding appt of Jack Smith as special counsel, and does not address the merits of the case. It remains a strong case against Trump for stealing government secrets
and obstructing the investigation;

Smith can appeal to 11th Circuit, and ask to remove Cannon. But even if reversed, Trump will appeal to SCOTUS, resulting in delay and who knows what outcome;

Or Smith can stand down and allow a US Atty to refile the case;

If new case is filed by US Atty in SDFL, it probably goes to Cannon as a related case;

US Atty could possibly file in DC or even NJ, where some of these acts occurred, and get away from
Cannon, though will be accused of judge shopping;

Bottom line, case will not go to trial before election. If Trump is elected, he could have the case dismissed. But if Trump loses election, DOJ has plenty of time to work with.

Statute of limitations does not run until 2026. I say onto the 11th Circuit and SCOTUS, who will decide this case eventually anyway. If DOJ loses on special counsel appt, start over with a US Atty.

This is not about taking down Trump, but is about protecting sensitive government secrets from theft. Would we let him steal Air Force One? Nope. This is worse.

END.

Barbara McQuade
Prof. U Michigan
Former US Atty Eastern District Michigan
« Last Edit: July 15, 2024, 05:04:10 PM by LarryB! »

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #42132 on: July 15, 2024, 04:57:56 PM »

I did not claim exclusive knowledge.

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #42133 on: July 15, 2024, 05:05:48 PM »

I did not claim exclusive knowledge.

You certainly implied you had inside information as if you are privy to scuttlebutt.

ROFLMAO

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #42134 on: July 15, 2024, 05:12:31 PM »

The bounty for bringing the trump Vance campaign to an abrupt and decisive failure is democracy and keeping alive the possibility of a good life for any children you may know or care about.

It is funny how quickly market forces work to establish the value of a service.
Pages: 1 ... 2807 2808 [2809] 2810 2811 ... 2914