National > Upon Deeper Consideration

Upon Deeper Consideration

(1/32) > >>

josh:
I would like to use this space to discuss issues more thoroughly and with zero personal attacks.

My hope is for us to explore questions like "how do we establish that X behavior exists?" and "given that X behavior exists, what are its underlying causes," then finally with it, "is it possible to alleviate X behavior, even if we cannot eliminate it, and if so how might we do it? what would not work and what seems to have worked, elsewhere, if anywhere?"

I'm thinking of items like the death penalty, types and levels of taxation (if any), abortion/abortion bans, separation of church and state vs. state religion, racism in society (ours and others), other forms of prejudice, public education (pre-k through post-graduate, including technical), etc.

Opinions are welcome, especially when fleshed out and supported by facts.

But "lol" is not an opinion. Nor is "you should read what you wrote." Similarly, "all you do is lie, deny, and obfuscate" is not permitted.

That kind of response will be deleted the first time. The poster(s) of such things will be given a warning the 2nd time. And they will be suspended for a week the third time.

Thoughts, reactions, ideas?

Any serious questions?

carlos123:
The death penalty, like torture, is a horror, not matter how it's executed.
I don't know that abolishing both needs to be fleshed out. Should  be self-evident to any decent human being.
Thankfully, it will be used less often after January 20th.
Abolition? I hope we will follow Western Europe. Abolished many years ago, and nobody seems to miss it.

Hamilton Samuels:
The death penalty has its place. There are truly evil, unrepentant humans who forfeit their right to be kept alive.

I'm sure you can think of some who have deserved that penalty.

However,

carlos123:

--- Quote from: UNO on December 15, 2020, 08:58:49 PM ---The death penalty has its place. There are truly evil, unrepentant humans who forfeit their right to be kept alive.

I'm sure you can think of some who have deserved that penalty.

However,

--- End quote ---

That's what life without parole is for.

barton:
I had some Quaker friends who had a useful conundrum on the matter,  something like "Why would our society kill people in order to teach that it is wrong to kill people? "

I would add that, in case of a wrongful conviction coming to light,  it is very difficult to resurrect those executed to give them the happy news.  I'm with Justice Harry Blackmun on this being a real problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version