Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Upon Deeper Consideration  (Read 9889 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Upon Deeper Consideration
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2021, 07:47:49 PM »

Uh, exactly the same ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2021, 06:29:15 PM »

Uh, exactly the same ...

I would agree.   She's not Clint Eastwood in Escape from Alcatraz.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
UDC: Standards in Forum Posting
« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2021, 11:56:59 PM »

Over in the Biden Administration, I drew a line:
1. Do not talk about people's real lives without their explicit permission in a disparaging fashion. There are two arbiters of that - the person whose life is being discussed and me.

2. Do not expose, seek to expose, or pretend to expose any member's real life facts. There are only two arbiters of that - the person whose life is under discussion and me.

3. Do not threaten another person, on the site or off. Do not propose that a US politician should die or, if you are from another country, a politician of your own country. I am the sole arbiter of that.

In the event that one of those things happens, I will indicate that it needs to stop. If it does not stop, I will given the offender a timeout of one sort or another for 5 days.

A repeat offense after the 5 day timeout will get a longer ban.

Seeking to get around that ban, going forward, will bring a report to the ISP of the offender.

In your opinions, are those too loose, too stringent, too something else? What changes would you make in them, if it were your call?

It implicitly allows the ongoing lies and insults that seem a staple of the political spaces and sometimes the sports spaces. It doesn't seek to control language - swears will continue to appear with great regularity.

Are those both okay?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 31, 2021, 02:10:08 PM »

Heh

No.  Of course not.

But maybe I am just a conservative loon.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 31, 2021, 02:59:35 PM »

Heh

No.  Of course not.

But maybe I am just a conservative loon.

Can you expand on your thoughts, rather than just an "of course not?"
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2021, 07:14:26 PM »

I'd vote for no ad hominems.   To clarify -- you can insult someone,  but you can't use the insult as a foundation for saying their argument has no merit.  IOW,  you can't say,  You're a pigfucking moron,  ergo your statement is wrong.    You have to meet bad logic with good logic,  bad evidence with good evidence,  otherwise it's just a waste of time.   
Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2021, 08:16:53 PM »

yeah.......

not helpful.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2021, 10:14:47 PM »

yeah.......

not helpful.

You really need to be less vague, Kid.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2021, 11:47:34 PM »

https://www.sciencealert.com/study-finds-mums-with-straight-as-manage-the-same-number-of-employees-as-dads-who-failed

We talk about discrimination against women, but I don't think I've seen this mentioned.

Does this seem like a significant problem to you?

And if it is, how would you go about addressing it?

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: UDC: Standards in Forum Posting
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2021, 02:46:05 PM »

Over in the Biden Administration, I drew a line:
1. Do not talk about people's real lives without their explicit permission in a disparaging fashion. There are two arbiters of that - the person whose life is being discussed and me.

2. Do not expose, seek to expose, or pretend to expose any member's real life facts. There are only two arbiters of that - the person whose life is under discussion and me.

3. Do not threaten another person, on the site or off. Do not propose that a US politician should die or, if you are from another country, a politician of your own country. I am the sole arbiter of that.

In the event that one of those things happens, I will indicate that it needs to stop. If it does not stop, I will given the offender a timeout of one sort or another for 5 days.

A repeat offense after the 5 day timeout will get a longer ban.

Seeking to get around that ban, going forward, will bring a report to the ISP of the offender.

In your opinions, are those too loose, too stringent, too something else? What changes would you make in them, if it were your call?

It implicitly allows the ongoing lies and insults that seem a staple of the political spaces and sometimes the sports spaces. It doesn't seek to control language - swears will continue to appear with great regularity.

Are those both okay?

The problem isn't the rules. The problem is the arbitrary enforcement of the rules. For example, you enforced them before you posted them.

You now have rules, but you're not a good judge, IMO.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2021, 08:00:44 PM »

PUMP THE BREAKS ON THESE STUPID gender reveal parties: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGGGRujuQNE
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

barton

« Reply #116 on: February 25, 2021, 05:20:20 PM »

An informed opinion on Texas independent power grid.   Some facts may surprise you.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/24/opinions/texas-electric-power-russo/index.html

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 27, 2021, 03:20:52 PM »

Cool.  Thanks for the link.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 19, 2021, 10:36:03 AM »

So I thought perhaps we could use this forum here to post links to interesting articles.  Could intro them with a few sentence summary or some commentary, but the focus would be on directing folks to useful and thought-provoking articles that otherwise they'd likely miss.

For me, that was the biggest benefit of the Trump/Biden Admin threads, the links to further reading.  And I'd encourage people to put links here to especially good articles even if they've posted them first in the Biden Admin thread.

Sort of a For Further Reading thread.
My two contributions for now:

Krug Man on the Euro Vaccine Fiasco
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/18/opinion/coronavirus-vaccine-europe.html
I've been wondering why they've been stumbling badly.  Though I'm not as convinced as Krug that it's due to an inherent flaw in the EU.

&

There have been several post-mortems on the Syrian civil war to mark the 10th anniversary of its eruption.  I'll roll with Juan Cole for thoroughness:
https://www.juancole.com/2021/03/outbreak-revolution-prolonging.html
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 10:47:27 PM by josh »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 21, 2021, 07:02:06 AM »

A more detailed explanation of Euro-failings re vaccination:
 https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/20/world/europe/europe-vaccine-rollout-astrazeneca.html

Only about 10 percent of Europeans have received a first dose, compared with 23 percent in the United States and 39 percent in Britain.
The EU is said to be about 5 weeks behind the US, and while 5 weeks might not sound like a lot, vaccines have only been a reality for about 16 weeks, so that's a significant lag:

Three or four main points which help explain why/how the EU stumbled:

1. The US partnered with vaccine developers/makers and splashed around cash (give Trump some credit), while the EU was content to merely be a customer and a cheap one at that:

European governments are often seen in the United States as free-spending, liberal bastions, but this time it was Washington that threw billions at drugmakers and cosseted their business.

Brussels, by comparison, took a conservative, budget-conscious approach that left the open market largely untouched. And it has paid for it.

In short, the answer today is the same as it was in December, said Dr. Slaoui. The bloc shopped for vaccines like a customer. The United States basically went into business with the drugmakers, spending much more heavily to accelerate vaccine development, testing and production.

“They assumed that simply contracting to acquire doses would be enough,” recalled Dr. Slaoui, whom President Donald J. Trump hired to speed the vaccine development. “In fact what was very important was to be a full, active partner in the development and the manufacturing of the vaccine. And to do so very early.”

2. Lack of EU coordination and squabbles over vaccine liability:

Drugmakers expected the same concessions in Europe, but the back and forth over liability was the major stumbling block, Ms. Gallina said. European negotiators had to reconcile disparate liability laws across multiple countries, finding common ground among 27 leaders.

In a crisis, it always becomes clear that the E.U. is not a country,” said Jacob Kirkegaard, of the German Marshall Fund. He said the bloc approached vaccine procurement like a contract negotiation when in fact “it was a zero-sum game with limited supply.”

3.  The EU backed some drug companies that failed vaccine-wise, while cheaping out:

European institutions are, by design, risk-averse. One of the founding tenets of the European Union is called the precautionary principle: The bloc errs on the side of caution when risks are unclear.

That, some analysts have said, hurt the bloc. German leaders argued for a heftier bet on vaccines from Pfizer-BioNTech and CureVac, but they were based on unproven messenger RNA technology and were more expensive. The bloc had just settled a thorny economic rescue package, and there was little appetite among members for more risk or spending.

It didn’t help that Europe backed the wrong horse in some cases. It spent billions on a vaccine candidate from French drugmaker Sanofi and Britain’s GSK that was delayed by over a year after disappointing results.

So the bloc relied heavily on AstraZeneca for its early rollout plans, a bet that had repercussions from the beginning. Italy, for example, embraced Europe’s bet on AstraZeneca doses because they were cheaper and did not require extreme storage temperatures. But then Italian regulators recommended against giving the vaccine to the elderly until more data were available, leaving a country with the oldest population in Europe more vulnerable to the pandemic.

4. The EU delayed almost 3 weeks in approving the AZ vaccine.

I put lengthy quotes since it's a NYTimes article.
I simply stop it from downloading and get it all free.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11