Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Upon Deeper Consideration  (Read 1147 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Upon Deeper Consideration
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2021, 07:47:49 PM »

Uh, exactly the same ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2021, 06:29:15 PM »

Uh, exactly the same ...

I would agree.   She's not Clint Eastwood in Escape from Alcatraz.   
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes. "

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
UDC: Standards in Forum Posting
« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2021, 11:56:59 PM »

Over in the Biden Administration, I drew a line:
1. Do not talk about people's real lives without their explicit permission in a disparaging fashion. There are two arbiters of that - the person whose life is being discussed and me.

2. Do not expose, seek to expose, or pretend to expose any member's real life facts. There are only two arbiters of that - the person whose life is under discussion and me.

3. Do not threaten another person, on the site or off. Do not propose that a US politician should die or, if you are from another country, a politician of your own country. I am the sole arbiter of that.

In the event that one of those things happens, I will indicate that it needs to stop. If it does not stop, I will given the offender a timeout of one sort or another for 5 days.

A repeat offense after the 5 day timeout will get a longer ban.

Seeking to get around that ban, going forward, will bring a report to the ISP of the offender.

In your opinions, are those too loose, too stringent, too something else? What changes would you make in them, if it were your call?

It implicitly allows the ongoing lies and insults that seem a staple of the political spaces and sometimes the sports spaces. It doesn't seek to control language - swears will continue to appear with great regularity.

Are those both okay?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 31, 2021, 02:10:08 PM »

Heh

No.  Of course not.

But maybe I am just a conservative loon.
- Everything they are saying today is easily rebutted -

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 31, 2021, 02:59:35 PM »

Heh

No.  Of course not.

But maybe I am just a conservative loon.

Can you expand on your thoughts, rather than just an "of course not?"
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

oilcanopy

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2021, 07:14:26 PM »

I'd vote for no ad hominems.   To clarify -- you can insult someone,  but you can't use the insult as a foundation for saying their argument has no merit.  IOW,  you can't say,  You're a pigfucking moron,  ergo your statement is wrong.    You have to meet bad logic with good logic,  bad evidence with good evidence,  otherwise it's just a waste of time.   

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2021, 08:16:53 PM »

yeah.......

not helpful.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2021, 10:14:47 PM »

yeah.......

not helpful.

You really need to be less vague, Kid.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2021, 11:47:34 PM »

https://www.sciencealert.com/study-finds-mums-with-straight-as-manage-the-same-number-of-employees-as-dads-who-failed

We talk about discrimination against women, but I don't think I've seen this mentioned.

Does this seem like a significant problem to you?

And if it is, how would you go about addressing it?

UNO

• You're bored without me. As you should be.
    • View Profile
Re: UDC: Standards in Forum Posting
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2021, 02:46:05 PM »

Over in the Biden Administration, I drew a line:
1. Do not talk about people's real lives without their explicit permission in a disparaging fashion. There are two arbiters of that - the person whose life is being discussed and me.

2. Do not expose, seek to expose, or pretend to expose any member's real life facts. There are only two arbiters of that - the person whose life is under discussion and me.

3. Do not threaten another person, on the site or off. Do not propose that a US politician should die or, if you are from another country, a politician of your own country. I am the sole arbiter of that.

In the event that one of those things happens, I will indicate that it needs to stop. If it does not stop, I will given the offender a timeout of one sort or another for 5 days.

A repeat offense after the 5 day timeout will get a longer ban.

Seeking to get around that ban, going forward, will bring a report to the ISP of the offender.

In your opinions, are those too loose, too stringent, too something else? What changes would you make in them, if it were your call?

It implicitly allows the ongoing lies and insults that seem a staple of the political spaces and sometimes the sports spaces. It doesn't seek to control language - swears will continue to appear with great regularity.

Are those both okay?

The problem isn't the rules. The problem is the arbitrary enforcement of the rules. For example, you enforced them before you posted them.

You now have rules, but you're not a good judge, IMO.

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.

Mark Twain

UNO

• You're bored without me. As you should be.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2021, 08:00:44 PM »

PUMP THE BREAKS ON THESE STUPID gender reveal parties: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGGGRujuQNE
I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.

Mark Twain

barton

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 25, 2021, 05:20:20 PM »

An informed opinion on Texas independent power grid.   Some facts may surprise you.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/24/opinions/texas-electric-power-russo/index.html

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes. "

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 27, 2021, 03:20:52 PM »

Cool.  Thanks for the link.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]