Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 22, 2018, 03:08:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Soccer  (Read 821 times)
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: April 15, 2007, 09:41:06 PM »

Share your thoughts on the impact that the Cuauhtémoc Blanco signing will have on U.S. Soccer.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 11:36:55 AM »

Uhhhhh.............

who?
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 08:02:01 PM »

Blanco has a tendency to whine about physical contact and takes too many dives. Yes, he is a great player but past his prime and his whininess may serve as a distraction on the field.

''Love much & be forgiven''

- - - Margaret Fuller
Harry Blaen

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 11:56:25 AM »

How disappointing to find the NYT forum closed, just when I wanted to post a season's end round-up.

This is where I hang nowadays, www.aryblaen.com. I wanted to say how I thought Man United's performance, or non-performance yesterday was disgusting, and how thrilled I am to see Beckham on teh cusp of a sensational farewell to La Liga, as potentially the player of the season in one of the most competitive leagues in the world. The MLS is getting a big boost when he arrives.

So where do the other irregulars post these days, the Brazilian and Argentine contingent?

Sorry if my absence aggravated the decline of the NYT forum, but let's hope this one gets going!

p.s. You may better remember me as ('phantlers')!

thebizneverloses
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 01:42:43 PM »

Did you hear about the madness that ensued after Toronto FC scored their first goal over the weekend?
bosox18d

Bayn Solomon just straight up sucks bum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 02:55:07 AM »

Someone actually scored a goal?

"If it keeps going like this,the Zamboni driver is going to be the first star"
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 02:22:40 AM »

The Beckham-mania in America must really be annoying.  Seems like American soccer is banking on Beckham like they did Pele back in the 70's.  I don't think it will happen.
bosox18d

Bayn Solomon just straight up sucks bum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 02:36:26 AM »

He would be bigger playing in NYC.Playing for the Galaxy isn't going to do much.The Mexican natl team gets more cheers than the US natl team when they play matches in L.A.. The beautiful people who populate Laker games may hang with him but don't expect him to be anything like Wayne Gretsky who made hockey cool in L.A..Soccer already is but not with the folks with money.

"If it keeps going like this,the Zamboni driver is going to be the first star"
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 10:34:04 AM »

It would seem Beckham is made for LA.  I always thought he was an over-rated player.  He didn't help Real Madrid much, and he hasn't helped England's World Cup hopes much either.  I think he will remain a media phenomenon more than anything else.  He's kind of like the Anna Kournikova of soccer.
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 08:35:21 PM »

Milan > Liverpool 2-1

For the life of me, I cannot understand why Coach Benitez kept Peter Crouch on the bench until about 78'. At the end of the match he blasted the referee for some reason (supposedly, too brief a stoppage time) when he should have blasted himself for having the wrong personnel on the field. Once Crouch got on the field, the Docker offense got rolling and they scored @ 89' with Kuyt finding the back of the net. Had he been there earlier, Jermaine Pennant's cross passes could have been far more threatening to Coach Carlo Ancellotti's defense. The ACM defense marked very tightly and protected Dida quite well. And Kaka's simulation helped set up Inzaghi's free kick that forced the Dockers to pursue from behind.

Overall, I'm disappointed in the game as Liverpool could have put up a stronger game plan.  But without Crouch in the PB, Gerrard got bottled up and they could not catch up.

Still, it was a  great game. 

- - - Margaret Fuller
thebizneverloses
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 09:13:04 PM »

thant - I was wondering the same thing about Crouch, although the argument could be made that their spacing and ball movement is better without Crouch on the pitch. As it was, although Liverpool dominated the ball, I still think the best chance that did not result in a goal was when Inzaghi let the ball go through his legs as he was completely unguarded within the 18. Liverpool dodged a bullet only to get nailed 10 minutes later.

Milan certainly deserved the victory.
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 11:44:25 PM »

FIDA made a new ruling on altitude limits during fixture qualifications:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2007/05/27/fifa-altitude.html

quote:

"FIFA has banned international games from being played more than 2,500 metres above sea level.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter said the decision was taken Sunday after a review by the medical team for world soccer's governing body."

This will not help Latin American sides whose venues are above those limits.

Frankly, I do not see the need for this change.

- - - Margaret Fuller
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2007, 03:57:13 PM »

I'm much more of a hockey fan than a soccer fan, but my five year old has been playing for about a year now, so I have to either pretend, or start to actually try to get into it now...

I'll be taking him to his first (and mine) Galaxy game here soon. 

I have a sense of the flow of other major sports as a live attendee, but frankly have no clue yet as to the level of attention needed (or considered correct) in soccer.

Football and baseball have a specific cadence of talking with your friends and having to look back to watch the play at the snap or the pitch.  Baseball tends to be the most social I think as there is so little action compared to down time...it is not uncommon to eat and talk through the hole game with only an occassional interuption.  It is almost seen as uncool to pay too close attention to the actual game (at many parks anyway).

In Basketball you get a very short break after a basket to look away and socialize before the play sets up on the other end.

I find hockey the most intense in terms of having to pay attention.  The play is so fast and can swing from one side to the other very quickly.

I used to make fun of soccer for the lack of scoring and compare it  in excitement to yacht racing.   but I do recognize that there is a lot of strategy and maneuvvering happening.  Still the pace is slower andI'm just curious to get someone's take that has actually been to several professional soccer games.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2007, 04:00:15 PM »

and don't get me wrong, I love  Yacht Racing... but it's pretty easy to make fun of also...

The best joke I recall was when one writer called yacht racing the most boring spectator sport on earth.  He said "the only reason the yachts even appear to move at all is due to the phenomenon of continental drift."
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 12:57:15 AM »

!!COPA AMERICA!!

Great action but no commentary here.

Yesterday's match as Brazil defeated Uruguay on PKs and tonight's Argentina's win over Mexico were exciting to say the least.  They set up what will likely be an exciting finish to the tournament on Sunday.

- - - Margaret Fuller
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: