Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
May 24, 2018, 11:26:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Soccer  (Read 756 times)
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 05:18:51 PM »

Beckham arrives today I believe...

Can hardly wait to have the media flooded with speculation on what this will mean to American Soccer...

thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2007, 11:32:04 PM »

Beckham finally appeared for the LA Galaxy vs Chelsea in a ''friendly'' tonight.  Poor dude has an achy ankle and did not provide too much excitement for the home fans.  Hispanics are the majority in the LA area and they know their footy quite well.  But tonight's crowd was the ritzy high brow type who are more into fashion and being seen rather than watching an athletic contest.

Beck is more of a playmaker but is injury prone.  I don't believe that he will have too much of an impact on the game but it does appear that he will draw in some significant crowds for the MLS (at least for now).

''Love much & be forgiven''

- - - Margaret Fuller
thebizneverloses
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 03:21:18 PM »

Than - more attention for the MLS is a good thing, right?

My concern is that Beckham may not be afforded the rest he needs after an arduous European season. There is incredible pressure on him to perform and to justify at least some of the attention he is receiving...
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 10:10:36 PM »

~~ a good thing ~~

Let us hope so.

The old NASL got a lot of favorable attention when Pele' entered our borders to play footy in Randall's Island back in '75. The Cosmos enjoyed considerable success  and we drew humongous crowds at East Rutherford for several years thereafter.  But because of incredibly stupid mismanagement, the Cosmos declined thanks to Chinaglia's ceaseless harping and the league folded.

Beckham is being paid a lot more than the league salary cap allows. And if he fails to produce some players on the LA side will squawk and the team's fortunes may fall as well.  That could well spell doom for the league as in the days of the NASL.

As I said, I sincerely hope that this experiment will work. Time will tell ....

- - - Margaret Fuller
thebizneverloses
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 05:06:35 PM »

I just think that Beckham's on-field contribution will come in the second year, not this abbreviated summer.
elportenito

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 05:56:11 AM »

Let's discuss other sports, let's discuss Pato.
thebizneverloses
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2007, 10:17:15 AM »

I saw Pato play in the U-20 Fifa world cup...he was quite underwhelming in the game that I attended although he did have some success in some of the other matches. I saw him in Brazil's 2-1 loss to a quite impressive US team. Freddy Adu was suprisingly dominant in that game, although I harbour doubts on whether Adu himself will ever be big enough to play in England or Italy.

I'm curious to see how Pato fits in with Chelsea.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2007, 10:46:52 AM »

Surprisingly dominant?  Adu in a  U20?

thebizneverloses
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2007, 10:56:25 AM »

Kid - Adu was brilliant, and I had never seen him before. My expectations were not that high as I just knew that despite all the hype, he hadn't experienced any success in the MLS, which is much weaker league than that in which many of his opponents play (especially that particular game against Brazil).

On that day, he was better than the Brazilian star Pato, who is much more highly regarded, and was recently transferred for 17 million pounds to Chelsea, one of the richest clubs in the world. No way Adu gets a 5 million pound transfer at this point.
liquidsilver
Superhero Member

Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2007, 07:24:33 PM »

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/08/02/sports/EU-SPT-SOC-Man-United-Boy-Prodigy.php

"I hate listening to peoples dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in any of them and nobody's having sex, I just don't care."
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2007, 08:46:12 PM »

USA girls defeat New Zealand: 6-1

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_1998853.html

Not much of a contest as the Kiwis were overmatched. Perhaps the latter should begin their matches with a haka as do the All Blacks rugby squad.

Kamate, kamate ... kora, kora ....

USA girls look quite good as their team concept is splendid and they continually push the spheroid forward.  Germany again looks tough.

Should be a good WC next month. Sad to say, though, was that the crowd was awfully small --- where's the enthusiasm for our team???

- - - Margaret Fuller
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2007, 08:57:17 AM »

Looks as if Becks is out for the remainder of the MLS season.  :'(

Hopefully, he'll be back next season in better condition.

- - - Margaret Fuller
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2007, 04:23:09 PM »

I woke up at about 4:00 AM and watched our girls defeat Sweden 2-0 in the Women's WC soccer.

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_2424834.html

Gosh! Those Swedish girls are so cute that it is very difficult to root against them.  It sure is a good thing they didn't bring any cheerleaders or many Yanks would sell out and root for them!!

- - - Margaret Fuller
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2007, 01:52:08 PM »

The coach of USA women's team was terminated - ostensibly for not playing the best goalie...

Big hub bub that’s for sure…
thanatopsy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2008, 04:43:08 PM »

Tommy Smyth is  Grand Marshall in the St Patrick's Day Parade!!

Smiley

Smiley

Smiley

- - - Margaret Fuller
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: