Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107]

Author Topic: American League  (Read 23262 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: American League
« Reply #1590 on: April 16, 2019, 03:13:44 PM »

Could be any number of reasons.  Sox might be grateful Sandy didn't get scooped up, though my guess is there are a few other options out there
Rest in peace, Tex Winter

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: April 16, 2019, 03:15:29 PM »

I think the theory with such things is that a team can always find a good defensive catcher (the same theory applies to kickers in the NFL I guess), but it never quite seems to work out that way.  It seems to me that Swihart had a ton of chances to prove his worth. 
So I'll meet you at the bottom if there really is one. They always told me when you hit it you'll know it. But I've been falling so long it's like gravity's gone and I'm just floatin'.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: April 16, 2019, 05:21:43 PM »

The Red Sox spent all of last year saying how great Leon was with the pitching staff.  Can't understand why they chose Swihart over him in the first place.

Leon is the better defensive catcher, and game caller, but he was no hit. Swihart made the team for his bat potential, but he was trade bait during ST, with no takers.

While totallly agree that Swihart has been given the time and opportunity to suceed, this early-season DFA seems a little desperate.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: April 16, 2019, 09:33:47 PM »

That was f'ugly.

at least it was relatively quick.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: April 16, 2019, 09:50:18 PM »

The Red Sox spent all of last year saying how great Leon was with the pitching staff.  Can't understand why they chose Swihart over him in the first place.

Leon is the better defensive catcher, and game caller, but he was no hit. Swihart made the team for his bat potential, but he was trade bait during ST, with no takers.

While totallly agree that Swihart has been given the time and opportunity to suceed, this early-season DFA seems a little desperate.

Nobody took Sandy on waivers. Maybe Blake will go through, too.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: April 16, 2019, 10:34:54 PM »

Go, O's!

Meanwhile, the NL East is living up to its billing. it will be one of the greatest seasons of all time, if all those teams stay healthy.

Oh, those mighty Orioles, a whopping one game ahead of the incredibly lame Red Sox.

And that amazing NL East gathering has a total of one team with more wins than losses over a team with a winning record.

They need to do better than that to be a great season, let along among the greatest. They were better at this point last year than they are now.

I think you don't really understand baseball.

I don't pretend to understand your idiosyncratic view of it.

But I am unconcerned with your estimating of my understanding of it.

Thanks for confirming the original assessment.

Give you credit for being a real fan, though, being here when the Sox are losing, and operating far below expectations. The rest of the cartel, and its loudest braggart are in hiding still. Kudos to you, Joshie.

Your orignal assessment was decades ago and had nothing to do with me. Kind of like this one - I care as much about your assessment of me as a real fan as I do about your assessment of my baseball knowledge.

I am generally interested in your assessments of tons of stuff about teams and players, when you can steer clear of your obsessions. But I see no reason for you to care about my assessments of your posts, inane and otherwise, with rare exception.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: April 17, 2019, 08:24:52 AM »

Nobody scapegoats like your Boston Red Sox (hello, Juan Nieves and Chili Davis), and so on Tuesday the world learned that Swihart had been outrighted to make room for the return of Leon, who was batting a robust .120 with Pawtucket.

Do not wait under water for the Sox to admit that they were wrong about anything. Ever. They aren’t likely to admit they misused and abused Swihart starting in 2016 (they are now likely to get zip for an athletic, switch-hitting 27-year-old catcher). They’ll continue to insist that their “plan” to hold the starters back in spring training was a swell idea. They aren’t going to come clean and tell you that the Dustin Pedroia comeback should have included a longer stay in the minors. And on Tuesday they wouldn’t admit that keeping Swihart instead of Leon to start the season was a mistake. No. This sudden switch was just something they decided to do because . . . well, it was time. Oh, they want you to know that this was not a result of complaints from starting pitchers.

Perhaps it’s time for Larry Lucchino’s CEO title to be restored to the Boston masthead so the Sox can blame this hideous start on evil Larry

Fun reading.  https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2019/04/16/shaughnessy/N1Y8ItQxrglujNEdU6i2kI/story.html?p1=Article_Recirculation_Pos2

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: April 17, 2019, 09:46:26 AM »

Why would the starting pitchers need to complain?  It's right there in front of all of our faces.  Sox missed Leon.

I wish Swihart well.  I don't know if he worked his ass off to be a better defender.  If not, maybe he will now.  If he did, that should bode well for his future.  Dude can play on the offensive side - and his versatility (thank the Sox for this) is surely a positive.

Does being a first round pick change how you are treated in an organization?  Yep.  Blake is Exhibit A.
Rest in peace, Tex Winter

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: April 17, 2019, 10:14:05 AM »

As noted yesterday, the Swiahart DFA struck me as rash and desperate.

Sox are playing poorly in every phase of the game. pitching, hitting, defense.

They just suck.

They seemed unprepared to start the season and have yet to play out of the funk.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: April 17, 2019, 04:26:53 PM »

6-12. This is your wake-up call, Bosox.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: April 18, 2019, 08:54:07 AM »

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: April 18, 2019, 10:05:26 AM »

and the troll's dual obssessions continues.

busy night last nifght

Sox-Celts-Bruins plus pre-Barr on CNN/MSNBC

remote got a good work out.

and generally I was not on-line

Sox-still suck, 0-2 meatball to Gardy JFC

but C's and Bs came through

and just watched Barr's partisan infomercial for a corrupt wannabe dictator

America lost.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: April 18, 2019, 11:13:03 AM »

Alex Cora's approval rating in Beanville has drop 20% since opening day.

Heh

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: April 18, 2019, 08:35:56 PM »

Heh

Fortunately, he is not up for reelection anytime soon. Plenty of opportunity to improve it. I remember what happened to Kapler's in Philly at the start of last year.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: Today at 05:25:12 PM »

Heh

Fortunately, he is not up for reelection anytime soon. Plenty of opportunity to improve it. I remember what happened to Kapler's in Philly at the start of last year.
. Comparing a first year manager and fans' disenchantment with a guy who just won you a World Series and his "fans" rejection is pretty weak, Joshie.

Panic in Boston before April is through?

Sad.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107]