Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Indians vs. Braves - Who will officially change their name first?

Cleveland in a week or more (July 10 or later)
- 1 (50%)
Cleveland in 4-6 days (July 7-9)
- 0 (0%)
Cleveland in 3 days or fewer (on or before July 6)
- 0 (0%)
Both on the same day
- 0 (0%)
Altlanta in 3 days or fewer (on or before July 6)
- 0 (0%)
Atlanta in 4-6 days (July 7-9)
- 0 (0%)
Atlanta in a week or more (July 10 or later)
- 1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: July 05, 2020, 09:37:54 PM

Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 211

Author Topic: American League  (Read 69941 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: American League
« Reply #3045 on: July 10, 2020, 12:02:12 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/09/opinions/retired-baseball-players-covid-19-accidental-buddhists-balukjian/index.html

Not really sure why "covid-19" is in the URL. Very minor part of the story, IMO.

UNO

• View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: July 10, 2020, 02:19:23 PM »

Buster Pussy Posey opts out fo the season. Maybe they'll let them play baseball and slide into home plate again, now?

UNO

• View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: July 10, 2020, 02:21:29 PM »

Rampant cheating in MLB.

Some things never change.

OfOf all the ways in which Major League Baseball will look different during the pandemic, the most whimsical is the wet rag. According to the health and safety protocols in the league’s 2020 operations manual, “All pitchers may carry a small wet rag in their back pocket to be used for moisture in lieu of licking their fingers.”

“Wet rag” is, of course, a very funny phrase, although the rag is around for a serious reason (reducing the spread of disease). Like any rule in sports, though, the wet rag regulation exists to be exploited and could produce unintended consequences more serious than swamp butts. MLB knows that not everyone can be trusted to use their wet rag responsibly, which is why the manual lays down the law. “Pitchers may not access the rag while on the pitching rubber and must clearly wipe the fingers of his pitching hand dry before touching the ball or the pitcher’s plate,” the protocols specify. “Umpires will have the right to check the rag at any point.” The manual also stipulates that “water is the only substance allowed on the rag.”

When I informed a former major league pitcher who now works for a team—let’s call him Deep Throwt—of the rag’s arrival, he questioned my facts, texting, “A wet rag? Really? This must be fake.” When I explained that the very real rag must be doused only in water, more mirth followed. “Hahahahahahahahahahahaha,” he said. “Yeah, water will be on that rag. Hahahahahahaha.” Deep Throwt is not former reliever Jeff Nelson, who expressed the same sentiment on Twitter with 19 fewer “ha”s.

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2020/7/10/21175567/banned-substances-pitchers-spin-rate-four-seam

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: July 14, 2020, 08:19:20 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/14/us/canada-mlb-blue-jays-spt/index.html

Where will the Toronto Blue Jays play their home games?!

UNO

• View Profile

UNO

• View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: July 16, 2020, 09:01:18 PM »

A-Rod, bidding for Mets, wants players to accept cap system

NEW YORK (AP) — Alex Rodriguez, among four groups of bidders for a possible purchase of the New York Mets, called for baseball players accept the type of revenue-sharing system that is tied to a salary cap and sparked quick opposition from the union.

Following the collapse of labor talks dealing with the fallout of the coronavirus pandemic, relations between Major League Baseball and the players’ association are at the lowest point in a quarter-century. The sides appear headed to a spring training lockout in 2022.

Preparing for the start of his third season as an analyst on ESPN’s Sunday night telecasts, Rodriguez said baseball players’ leverage had changed since they fought off the owners’ salary-cap proposal with a 7 1/2-month strike in 1994-95. He said the rise of the NFL and NBA had changed the equation along with digital media, and said the players’ association should work collaboratively with MLB to raise the sport’s market share.

https://apnews.com/962489d56d0a4b8c0feed2157013f199

ESPN has a problem.

Hairy Lime

• Used to be whiskeypriest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: July 16, 2020, 09:30:39 PM »

Fucking hilarious.
You and I aren't heroes. This world doesn't make any heroes, outside of your stories

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: July 16, 2020, 10:49:37 PM »

Fucking hilarious.

Sounds like he would fit right in with the owners group, though!

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: July 18, 2020, 06:36:14 PM »

Canada will not allow Blue Jays to play regular season games in Toronto due to pandemic

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: July 21, 2020, 01:27:15 PM »

Several S.F. Giants players and coaches -- including manager Gabe Kapler -- knelt for the national anthem Monday ... and Donald Trump took aim at them afterward, calling it all a "great disrespect."

"Looking forward to live sports," Trump said, "but any time I witness a player kneeling during the National Anthem, a sign of great disrespect for our Country and our Flag, the game is over for me!"
KP tosses salads in dallas

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: July 21, 2020, 01:29:34 PM »

Several S.F. Giants players and coaches -- including manager Gabe Kapler -- knelt for the national anthem Monday ... and Donald Trump took aim at them afterward, calling it all a "great disrespect."

"Looking forward to live sports," Trump said, "but any time I witness a player kneeling during the National Anthem, a sign of great disrespect for our Country and our Flag, the game is over for me!"

I thought seeing the players and staff kneeling was a sign of great respect. And I suspect that if Trump is true to his word (which is a questionable assumption, to say the least), he will be watching a lot fewer games on TV this year going forward than usual.

This might in an ordinary person result in more work. No chance here. More mischief, I expect.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: July 21, 2020, 03:34:50 PM »

Not so sure Trump watches much baseball

Looking forward to FAUCI tossing out the first pitch
- Rest in peace, Mike Adams  -
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 211