Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 282433 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #3120 on: March 23, 2020, 10:04:48 AM »

Can the Sale deal be seen as "worth it", given the one title?

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: March 23, 2020, 11:51:11 AM »

Sure.

It can also be seen as not worth it, given only one title.

From the viewpoint of those teams that have not won in decades, they would tell you it was totally worth it. From a Yankees fan perspective, I don't know.

But there are two Sale deals. The first I would say was worth it, but the second sure looks like the foolish expenditure that many thought it was at the time.

2020 and 2021 are gone. Will Sale return from TJ surgery as many (but not all) have, even faster than he was before? Will he "merely" regain his former level? Or will he never have a complete season again?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: March 23, 2020, 12:09:57 PM »

Cool (million).  This shouldn't be too difficult

https://www.mlb.com/the-vault

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: March 23, 2020, 12:12:28 PM »

Sure.

From the viewpoint of those teams that have not won in decades, they would tell you it was totally worth it. From a Yankees fan perspective, I don't know.

But there are two Sale deals. The first I would say was worth it, but the second sure looks like the foolish expenditure that many thought it was at the time.

2020 and 2021 are gone. Will Sale return from TJ surgery as many (but not all) have, even faster than he was before? Will he "merely" regain his former level? Or will he never have a complete season again?

First and second deals are tied together.  Never any thought in Boston to not inking Sale long term - unless there had been an earlier injury.

I think it's a fail (see Moncada, Kopech as part of analysis) - but the banner is nice.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: March 23, 2020, 12:21:32 PM »

Reminder of Sale Game 4 2017 vs Astros - (after losing Game 1 vs Verlander)

pitches pretty well, then Bregman takes him deep.  Is inexplicably removed for Springer with 1 on and Reddick on deck and at just 77 pitches.  (Reddick - and then Beltran the next inning get the key hits vs Kimbrel)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS201710090.shtml

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: March 23, 2020, 06:53:29 PM »

Sure.

First and second deals are tied together.  Never any thought in Boston to not inking Sale long term - unless there had been an earlier injury.

I think it's a fail (see Moncada, Kopech as part of analysis) - but the banner is nice.

It's unclear that Moncada ever does anything for us or that we get the title without Sale.

If the goal is championships, then I still think the deal is a win.

Yes, there was a lot of talk about not resigning Sale, because he had an injury the previous season! He barely pitched after July and was restricted in the WS - two games, five innings.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: March 23, 2020, 07:08:24 PM »

That's what medicals are for

237 K in 158 innings, 2.11 ERA - all you need to know.

Only a "get me out of this town" stance would have seen Sale not get the extension.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: March 23, 2020, 07:09:55 PM »

Your Moncada statement is too out there for me to even bother with

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: March 23, 2020, 09:35:03 PM »

That's what medicals are for

237 K in 158 innings, 2.11 ERA - all you need to know.

Only a "get me out of this town" stance would have seen Sale not get the extension.

No, as far as I can tell, medicals are for getting insurance for your pitcher.

https://weei.radio.com/articles/tomase-red-sox-pitcher-chris-sale-should-be-allowed-walk-away-baseball-free-agency

It's not so much a get out of town stance as a "what is this player worth, under these circumstances?"

Your 2.11 stat is lovely, but you are sooooooooo full of shit when you say "that's all you need to know."

The ERA was 1.97 through August. It was 3.75 in August. And he could not pitch effectively for the bulk of the Series - two appearances and an ERA over 4.

And he said... "I feel like myself again," because he had not felt like himself. And it turns out he was right that he had not been... and the next year he still wasn't.

All Spring long and into the season, "where is Chris Sale?" was a question. But you can insist that your view is the only one. Don't let me stop you.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: March 23, 2020, 09:41:55 PM »

Your Moncada statement is too out there for me to even bother with

Your inability to frame a cogent argument to rebut my point is too funny.

Until 2019, Moncada was an expensive toy with only potential.

He was a .233 hitter (.719 OPS) averaging 233 strike outs per 162 games. Who was going to get playing time, him or Devers?

And it is not as if the Sox handled all their expensive acquisitions well. See also: Rusney Castillo.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: March 25, 2020, 11:38:52 AM »

When the season begins this July, Mets will be without Noah Syndergaard, who will join Chris Sale on the TJ surgery list.  Mets stockpiling of starters now appears wise, though time will tell if not paying Zack Wheeler was.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: April 06, 2020, 07:14:25 PM »

RIP Mr. Tiger, Al Kaline.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: April 06, 2020, 07:17:13 PM »

A truly great player (probably the second best ever from Baltimore) and to the extent that a Hall of Famer could be underrated he was.  Arguably, Clemente's equal, but never talked about in such hushed tones.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 07:20:03 PM by Yankguy1 »
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: April 06, 2020, 08:00:53 PM »

A truly great player (probably the second best ever from Baltimore) and to the extent that a Hall of Famer could be underrated he was.  Arguably, Clemente's equal, but never talked about in such hushed tones.

https://capanson.wordpress.com/2010/02/03/roberto-clemente-vs-al-kaline/

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: April 06, 2020, 08:02:16 PM »

As a kid starting to watch the game, Al was one of my favorite non-Sox players. He did everything really well.
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 469