Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 289612 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #3360 on: June 30, 2020, 09:43:46 PM »

Let me know when a meaningful player decides not to play

Did Snell decide officially yet?

No shortage of guys ready to hop in.

Your definition of meaningful is pretty broken.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: July 01, 2020, 09:41:34 AM »

Wilponomics shows the players are not overpaid.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-mets-bidders-sale-alex-rodriguez-20200630-wgbfjwtpsvbktnw7t6koo4lhvm-story.html

Major League Baseball has approved seven groups as qualified bidders for the Mets, according to a Tuesday morning report from Sportico...

The Mets — valued at $2.4 billion as of April — have been for sale since February, when the team’s current ownership group in Fred and Jeff Wilpon had a $2.6 billion deal with hedge fund billionaire Steve Cohen that fell through two months after they announced they were negotiating a sale.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: July 01, 2020, 09:44:36 AM »

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29369890/inside-rise-mlb-ivy-league-culture-stunning-numbers-question-next

MLB's analytics revolution has brought sweeping changes to the game on the field, from the proliferation of launch-angle data, which has led to players swinging more for the fences, to the implementation of defensive shifts against batters, something that was an anomaly not much longer than a decade ago. And it has fundamentally altered how teams approach roster construction, with a heavier emphasis on young, cheaper stars.

But the rise of analytics also has resulted in another massive shift: an influx of white, male graduates of Ivy League schools and other prestigious universities into teams' front offices. In a data analysis conducted by ESPN, the percentage of Ivy League graduates holding an organization's top baseball operations decision-making position -- which, depending on the club, could be its president, vice president or general manager -- has risen from just 3% in 2001 to 43% today; while the percentage of graduates from U.S. News & World Report's list of the top 25 colleges -- both universities and liberal arts schools -- holding the same positions has risen from 24% to 67%.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: July 01, 2020, 03:05:16 PM »

If a game goes into extra innings, teams will start each half-inning with a runner on second base — a move that will likely lead to more scoring when teams are tied after nine innings. Also, any player may appear as a pitcher at any point in the game.

I imagine if the runner scores that this would count as an un-earned run, right? 
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: July 01, 2020, 06:20:55 PM »

If a game goes into extra innings, teams will start each half-inning with a runner on second base — a move that will likely lead to more scoring when teams are tied after nine innings. Also, any player may appear as a pitcher at any point in the game.

I imagine if the runner scores that this would count as an un-earned run, right?

Good question, but I think in a normal scoring play(s): base hit, or sac bunt to 3rd/sac fly, it will be earned. If the runner scores on an error or aided by a passed ball then it would be an unearned run.

Echo4

• View Profile

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: July 01, 2020, 06:42:21 PM »

Which runner? How is that determined?

And does the last part mean a pitcher can be removed and then put back in?

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: July 01, 2020, 06:57:13 PM »

I think Kam got it wrong, I think the rule change is aimed at allowing position players to pitch only in extra-innings or blow-outs (+6/-6 runs) . In a regular 9-inning non-blow out game only pitchers can pitch.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: July 01, 2020, 08:20:05 PM »

I think Kam got it wrong, I think the rule change is aimed at allowing position players to pitch only in extra-innings or blow-outs (+6/-6 runs) . In a regular 9-inning non-blow out game only pitchers can pitch.

Kam's comment is verbatim from an article.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: July 01, 2020, 09:10:48 PM »

Kam's comment is verbatim from an article.

Then perhaps the writer got it wrong.

Fake news!

From MLB

Position players pitching -- Position players are allowed to pitch only if a game goes to extra innings, or if their team is winning or losing by more than six runs. During normal circumstances in a nine-inning game, only the team's 13 designated pitchers -- or two-way players -- are allowed to pitch.

There is a designation for a 2-way player who may pitch and play a position, but that player is designated for an entire year.

Two-way player designation -- A "two-way player" -- someone who both hits and pitches -- is now an official designation. That lets them stay on the roster as a position player and pitch in games without counting toward their team's 13-pitcher pitcher limit. If you designate someone a two-way player, they have to stay that way through the end of the year.

Players have to meet certain criteria to qualify as two-way players -- in either the current MLB season or the previous one, they have to pitch at least 20 innings in the Majors and start at least 20 games as a position player or DH where they bat three or more times.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-rule-changes-for-2020-season

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-rule-changes-for-2020-season

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: July 01, 2020, 09:20:49 PM »

Players have to meet certain criteria to qualify as two-way players -- in either the current MLB season or the previous one, they have to pitch at least 20 innings in the Majors and start at least 20 games as a position player or DH where they bat three or more times.

That will make it challenging for anybody to so qualify this year, given that Ohtani did not pitch in the majors in 2019 and this season is so short. In 2022 we can go have those, perhaps.
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 469