Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 286770 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #3870 on: November 09, 2020, 11:10:27 AM »

They know he's a Phillies fan, too, so that's a bit of trolling on their part.

Still, Joe won't disappoint, I'm sure.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: November 10, 2020, 11:14:49 AM »

I imagine if we are lucky enough to have Joe Biden throw out a 1st pitch in DC opening day, Nats fans will give a Phillie's fan a standing O. 

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: November 10, 2020, 12:41:04 PM »

I think they should keep the invite open even if Joe should lose in the courts

For years of meritorious service to his ..ahem.....state.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: November 10, 2020, 12:46:59 PM »

For a guy who preferred Biden for President you're coming up with a ton of posts imagining that he might lose in court.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: November 10, 2020, 12:59:34 PM »

Cities are not burning (yet) - and this is a good thing

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: November 10, 2020, 08:03:45 PM »

I think they should keep the invite open even if Joe should lose in the courts

For years of meritorious service to his ..ahem.....state.

What, exactly, would President-elect Biden "lose in the courts"?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: November 10, 2020, 08:20:46 PM »

Now, here is someone who should "lose in the courts"!

New details have emerged about his February DUI arrest, which was made public on Monday. ESPN’s Jeff Passan is now reporting that La Russa tried to big-time his way out of the arrest by showing the police officer his ring and bragging about being a baseball Hall of Famer.

According to the police report obtained by ESPN, this is the officer’s account of the DUI stop:

La Russa stated, “I had one glass of wine while at dinner with my friends.” Before searching his person and placing him in the rear of my patrol vehicle La Russa asked, “Do you see my ring?” I asked La Russa what he was talking about? La Russa stated, “I’m a hall of famer baseball person.” While placing him in the rear of my patrol vehicle, La Russa stated, “I’m legit. I’m a hall of famer brother. Your [sic] trying to embarrass me.” I advised La Russa that I will to embarrass him, and he would be treated with the utmost respect.”

La Russa, 76, hasn’t been treated with the utmost respect on the internet following news of his second DUI arrest. Since the news came out, this has turned into a full-fledged PR nightmare for the White Sox.

Earlier on Tuesday, free agent pitcher Marcus Stroman tweeted that there was no amount of money that would make him want to play for someone like La Russa. Now this tidbit makes the La Russa and the White Sox look even worse.

Okay, asshole. You're only a "Hall of Famer" because you cheated, enabled cheaters, and rode the coattails of cheaters.

So fuck you and your "ring".

Pretty sad that this has been kept under wraps since FEBRUARY! Hello, sounds like the Commissioner was playing favorites once again.

Bad news for the White Sox. If they were smart, and they're not, especially with that owner, they'd fire him, now.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/tony-la-russa-to-arresting-officer-during-dui-do-you-see-my-ring-im-a-hall-of-famer-191820045.html

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: November 10, 2020, 08:25:32 PM »

NL ROY wins after playing only 27 innings. Fuck this era of baseball and its dependency on analytics. Dopes.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: November 13, 2020, 12:15:43 AM »

Wait - the Mets fired Brody?

Heh

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: November 13, 2020, 12:21:54 PM »

NL ROY wins after playing only 27 innings. Fuck this era of baseball and its dependency on analytics. Dopes.

2020*

this fucking year can't get over soon enough

2020 will be remembered for maybe 2 things

covid and its impact on our society

covid might have saved us at least in the short-term from a full-blown case of Donald Trump

we still got another 2 months on that one though.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: November 13, 2020, 02:06:29 PM »

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/marlins-female-general-manager/2020/11/13/id/996962/

Congratulations.  She has waited quite some time for this (unlike Ms Hammon)

Credit Jeter and his guys.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: November 13, 2020, 02:18:28 PM »

Jeter was good at going opposite field.

And now he's going opposite sex.

nice move Derek.

congrats and good luck to Ms. Ng.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: November 13, 2020, 02:28:12 PM »

This eventually will be baseball related.

I started watching Handmaiden's Tale, (HT) a dystopian horror story a few weeks ago. And I finished season 1 (of 3) last week-end,

I watched S2 E1 last night. More on that in a second.

I suspect most know about HT, I knew of it very generally. but not the details. Briefly (so far) It portrays the US after a civil war where a militaristic authoritarian fanatic religious group takes over the US. But the plot focuses on the enslavement of fertile women to reproduce because of presumably the impact of STD, pollution or poor diet (added chemicals) on human's ability to reproduce. There's a shit-ton of infertility so only the powerful get an enslaved fertile woman to try and mate and reproduce and have a family with.

The show to date, is disturbing as hell in its portrayal of the cruelty and inhumanity, it probably makes Mike Pence hard, and Amy Coney Barrett giggle. but I digress.

So last night I need a break from Trump, will he or won't he, and I started season 2.

LSS, the opening scene as we soon discover takes place in Fenway Park, as symbolic of American sport as any i can readily think, and it transforms it into a torture chamber.

here's a youtube of the scene, its fucking grim. (the reveal comes about at 2:20)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxW1lRsiAww

Now I've experienced some torture watching games at Fenway, but not like this.

Watching Bucky Dent's wind-blown pop-up in '78 hurt, and watching Bob Gibson bringing his nasty self and crush an impossible dream in '67 stung, but Aunt Lydia is a whole different ballgame.

She can really bring it.

I imagine there were some interesting discussions among Sox ownership circles and maybe MLB and sponsors about using and portraying Fenway Park, America's most beloved ballpark, in such sadisitc cruel manner.

Fenway as the backdrop for a love story in Fever Pitch was cute, and it was mystical in Field of Dreams, and it played its part of the "Cathedral of Boston" in The Town,  and there are other examples, but its use in HT was a powerful and brutal use of imagery to drive home the perversions that society was going through.

I thought it really emotional and well done.

Thoughts or what are your favorites scenes using sports as a backdrop.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: November 13, 2020, 08:15:20 PM »

, America's most beloved ballpark, in such sadisitc cruel manner

Overstate much?

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: November 13, 2020, 08:40:41 PM »

I'm just referring to Fenway Park as its been called for years. And that phrase, , America's most beloved ballpark" is TMed.

But I find hyperbole when doled out with a teaspoon and not a shovel, is a fine rhetoric device.

In any case, I've no idea if you watched the show in question, or the specific episode, but as posted I found it evocative and provocative film-making.
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 469