Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 287436 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #4020 on: January 03, 2021, 03:59:55 PM »

b) Moyer definitely does not deserve to be in the Hall of Fame and there is no effective argument available to you.

Saberhagen more deserving

One of many.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: January 05, 2021, 04:11:22 PM »

The standard

2. Electors: Only active and honorary members of the Baseball Writers' Association of America, who have been active baseball writers for at least ten (10) years, shall be eligible to vote. They must have been active as baseball writers and members of the Association for a period beginning at least ten (10) years prior to the date of election in which they are voting.

3. Eligible Candidates -- Candidates to be eligible must meet the following requirements:

A. A baseball player must have been active as a player in the Major Leagues at some time during a period beginning fifteen (15) years before and ending five (5) years prior to election.

B. Player must have played in each of ten (10) Major League championship seasons, some part of which must have been within the period described in 3(A).

C. Player shall have ceased to be an active player in the Major Leagues at least five (5) calendar years preceding the election but may be otherwise connected with baseball.

D. In case of the death of an active player or a player who has been retired for less than five (5) full years, a candidate who is otherwise eligible shall be eligible in the next regular election held at least six (6) months after the date of death or after the end of the five (5) year period, whichever occurs first.

E. Any player on Baseball's ineligible list shall not be an eligible candidate.

4. Method of Election:

A. BBWAA Screening Committee -- A Screening Committee consisting of baseball writers will be appointed by the BBWAA. This Screening Committee shall consist of six members, with two members to be elected at each Annual Meeting for a three-year term. The duty of the Screening Committee shall be to prepare a ballot listing in alphabetical order eligible candidates who (1) received a vote on a minimum of five percent (5%) of the ballots cast in the preceding election or (2) are eligible for the first time and are nominated by any two of the six members of the BBWAA Screening Committee.

B. An elector will vote for no more than ten (10) eligible candidates deemed worthy of election. Write-in votes are not permitted.

C. Any candidate receiving votes on seventy-five percent (75%) of the ballots cast shall be elected to membership in the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

https://baseballhall.org/hall-of-famers/rules/bbwaa-rules-for-election

Those are not standards.  When I say standards, I am looking for an evaluation system that employs something similar to this:

Evaluation standards identify how the quality of an evaluation will be judged.  They can be used when planning an evaluation as well as for meta-evaluation (evaluating the evaluation).

Many organizations have guidelines which address issues of quality and ethics together.  For example, the UNDP (United Nations Development Programme) Norms for Evaluation state that evaluation in UNDP should be:

Independent — Management must not impose restrictions on the scope, content, comments and recommendations of evaluation reports. Evaluators must be free of conflict of interest.

Intentional — The rationale for an evaluation and the decisions to be based on it should be clear from the outset.

Transparent — Meaningful consultation with stakeholders is essential for the credibility and utility of the evaluation.

Ethical — Evaluation should not reflect personal or sectoral interests. Evaluators must have professional integrity, respect the rights of institutions and individuals to provide information in confidence, and be sensitive to the beliefs and customs of local social and cultural environments.

Impartial — Removing bias and maximizing objectivity are critical for the credibility of the evaluation and its contribution to knowledge.

There is basically one standard- 10 years of MLB service.

And then nothing else which is what I've said all along and for years.

It is a system that is arbitrary in nature, and will remain so, until someone decides that journalists should report instead of creating news.

Same with who makes an All-star, and why, and who gets the Cy Young, etc, etc...

While I understand you may like the current system, it is a system that is and has been corrupted by the lack of firm standards for admission since its inception.

And you can talk all day about all that other shit you keep throwing up about Moyer, but it's just you trying to escape the topic at hand, or you not having the ability to read and comprehend what's been clearly written.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 04:14:53 PM by UNO »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: January 05, 2021, 04:58:07 PM »

Surprised Josh missed this one: https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/05/us/red-sox-bianca-smith-black-female-coach-trnd/index.html

The Boston Red Sox just hired Bianca Smith -- the first Black woman to coach in professional baseball history

Smith will serve as a minor league coach within the organization, based at the club's player development facility in Fort Myers, Florida, and will work mainly with position players, according to MLB.com...

...Smith was an assistant baseball coach and hitting coordinator at Carroll University, a private liberal arts college in Waukesha, Wisconsin.

From D3 BB to the pros.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: January 05, 2021, 05:20:03 PM »

The standard

2. Electors: Only active and honorary members of the Baseball Writers' Association of America, who have been active baseball writers for at least ten (10) years, shall be eligible to vote. They must have been active as baseball writers and members of the Association for a period beginning at least ten (10) years prior to the date of election in which they are voting.

3. Eligible Candidates -- Candidates to be eligible must meet the following requirements:

A. A baseball player must have been active as a player in the Major Leagues at some time during a period beginning fifteen (15) years before and ending five (5) years prior to election.

B. Player must have played in each of ten (10) Major League championship seasons, some part of which must have been within the period described in 3(A).

C. Player shall have ceased to be an active player in the Major Leagues at least five (5) calendar years preceding the election but may be otherwise connected with baseball.

D. In case of the death of an active player or a player who has been retired for less than five (5) full years, a candidate who is otherwise eligible shall be eligible in the next regular election held at least six (6) months after the date of death or after the end of the five (5) year period, whichever occurs first.

4. Method of Election:

A. BBWAA Screening Committee -- A Screening Committee consisting of baseball writers will be appointed by the BBWAA. This Screening Committee shall consist of six members, with two members to be elected at each Annual Meeting for a three-year term. The duty of the Screening Committee shall be to prepare a ballot listing in alphabetical order eligible candidates who (1) received a vote on a minimum of five percent (5%) of the ballots cast in the preceding election or (2) are eligible for the first time and are nominated by any two of the six members of the BBWAA Screening Committee.

B. An elector will vote for no more than ten (10) eligible candidates deemed worthy of election. Write-in votes are not permitted.

C. Any candidate receiving votes on seventy-five percent (75%) of the ballots cast shall be elected to membership in the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

Those are not standards.  When I say standards, I am looking for an evaluation system that employs something similar to this:

Evaluation standards identify how the quality of an evaluation will be judged.  They can be used when planning an evaluation as well as for meta-evaluation (evaluating the evaluation).

Many organizations have guidelines which address issues of quality and ethics together.  For example, the UNDP (United Nations Development Programme) Norms for Evaluation state that evaluation in UNDP should be:

Independent — Management must not impose restrictions on the scope, content, comments and recommendations of evaluation reports. Evaluators must be free of conflict of interest.

Intentional — The rationale for an evaluation and the decisions to be based on it should be clear from the outset.

Transparent — Meaningful consultation with stakeholders is essential for the credibility and utility of the evaluation.

Ethical — Evaluation should not reflect personal or sectoral interests. Evaluators must have professional integrity, respect the rights of institutions and individuals to provide information in confidence, and be sensitive to the beliefs and customs of local social and cultural environments.

Impartial — Removing bias and maximizing objectivity are critical for the credibility of the evaluation and its contribution to knowledge.

It is a system that is arbitrary in nature, and will remain so, until someone decides that journalists should report instead of creating news.

Same with who makes an All-star, and why, and who gets the Cy Young, etc, etc...

While I understand you may like the current system, it is a system that is and has been corrupted by the lack of firm standards for admission since its inception.

And you can talk all day about all that other shit you keep throwing up about Moyer, but it's just you trying to escape the topic at hand, or you not having the ability to read and comprehend what's been clearly written.

Like Moyer more cheap whines from the troll.

Troll-I've no idea why you insist on trying to debate and lose this topic over and over when you have never provided any alternatives that is better than the current BBWAA proccess.  And when you have provided an alternative (former MLB players, managers, coaches, front office etc) it has been shown to be far more conflicted than the 400 independent BBWAA process.

Has it dawned on you that on a forum with long-term baseball fans you never swayed an opinion to whatever it is that you think you are championing.

I can only surmise you are deeply disappointed that you feel some of your favorite Phillies have some how been cheated by the current system.

Again I am not sure why you do not trust the independent judgement of a diverse body of writers with a minimum of 10 years experience judging the relative merits of players. 

Though I imagine it would take some thought, insight, analysis, number crunching, and creativity, none of which are your long suits.

But you do have an endless supply of whine.

SSDD
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 05:23:37 PM by bankshot1 »

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: January 05, 2021, 05:26:09 PM »

I've no idea

Yes, Muddled One, you have no idea. Because you still can't grasp the simple, it's not likely you'll ever grasp the more complex.

I can only surmise.

Yes, because you've shown you can't read, especially when you compound your incomprehension by writing you have never provided any alternatives that is better...

Get help.

Without standards, as has been proven, the HOF is merely an arbitrary process. So-called journalists are "creating news", not reporting it.

When you can actually comprehend the truth, you might be able to form an opinion worth anyone's time.

Bye, dope.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: January 05, 2021, 05:39:40 PM »

I've no idea

Yes, Muddled One, you have no idea. Because you still can't grasp the simple, it's not likely you'll ever grasp the more complex.

I can only surmise.

Yes, because you've shown you can't read, especially when you compound your incomprehension by writing you have never provided any alternatives that is better...

Get help.

Without standards, as has been proven, the HOF is merely an arbitrary process. So-called journalists are "creating news", not reporting it.

When you can actually comprehend the truth, you might be able to form an opinion worth anyone's time.

Bye, dope.
LMAO

the poor troll can't articulate whatever it is he thinks he promoting.

so he runs away.

SSDD

and I need another pair of shoes

LMAO

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: January 05, 2021, 05:48:22 PM »

Jay Jaffe explained in his book how the HOF not only has had no real standards for admission, but how its inconsistincies have screwed worthy players of admission in a timely manner.

Here's a good piece that illustrates EXACTLY the many problems that have plagued the HOF, and still do.

Jaffe, however, does create a solution that demonstrates a move towards actual objective standards for admission---such as I have suggested for years:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/07/25/hall-fame-cooperstown-casebook-ron-santo

Someone read it to banks and explain it to him, as it's well beyond his ken.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: January 05, 2021, 06:02:43 PM »

LMAO

the stupid troll doesn't understand the point of the Santo piece.

If he read it he would have discovered there was no "standard" (and by extension in a sport where there are so many stats that a "standard" is all but impossible-but ithat blinding glimpse of the obvious escapes the clueless troll) or that stats can change with changes in the game, he has a hard time understanding judgement and the ability to understand the #s and having an ability to weigh the stats objectively is critical in deciding HoF worthiness.

the poor stupid troll labors so hard to yield so little.

and another pair of shoes may be required!

LMAO
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 06:08:16 PM by bankshot1 »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: January 05, 2021, 06:31:56 PM »

The standard

4. Method of Election:

List for us the "standards" you would see enacted that would put Moyer even on the CUSP of Hall induction.

Thanks
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: January 05, 2021, 06:36:32 PM »

The standard

4. Method of Election:

List for us the "standards" you would see enacted that would put Moyer even on the CUSP of Hall induction.

Thanks

I know you've been duped by the smokescreen of a blithering banks, but I did not make the argument that there was a standard for his admission.

The one standard the HOF has.. of playing 10 years in MLB, though, he's met 2.5 times.

WHAT standards would you like to see for third base? SS? 1B? etc...

That's the essential question being ignored by the ignorant bankshithead.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: January 05, 2021, 06:48:58 PM »

I sort of like it the way it is

There ARE standards - but they can disappear as the game changes (see 400 HR mark)

3000 hits, 300 wins seemingly still stand

And some others are at the ready to debate

Debate is good.  Generates something we call INTEREST.

- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: January 05, 2021, 07:00:16 PM »

The standard

4. Method of Election:

Thanks

I know you've been duped by the smokescreen of a blithering banks, but I did not make the argument that there was a standard for his admission.

The one standard the HOF has.. of playing 10 years in MLB, though, he's met 2.5 times.

WHAT standards would you like to see for third base? SS? 1B? etc...

That's the essential question being ignored by the ignorant bankshithead.

LMAO

the troll now lies.

I'm content with no standard.

I'm not ignoring it, I'm saying it is wholy irrelevant.

But you would have to be a baseball fan to understand that one size does not fit all.

Its a nuanced game.

I'm content with 400 independent voters assessing a players career and weighing the stats and using their observations and put it all into context to come up with an objective judgement re the HoF.

AND SECONDLY HE CHANGES THE SUBJECT-HE WANTS A STANDARD-HE'S IGNORING HIS OWN ARGUMENT

Anytime the troll wants to put forth a "one size" standard I'd be be happy to consider it.

But in years he's done more whining than articulating.

The last standard we heard from him was Moyer's "artistry" and his likeness to under-appreciated wine.

thats a helluva standard for anyone to apply to HoF voting.

it was idiotic.

LMAO
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 07:17:53 PM by bankshot1 »

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: January 05, 2021, 07:17:18 PM »

As I stated before, kid, I think there are now enough in the HOF to be able to demonstrate a clear standard at each position.

Jagged touched on this with his writing.

Do we know what a HOF OF looks like by now?

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: January 05, 2021, 07:19:47 PM »

And yet with all the players in the HoF the troll still can't articulate anything that resembles a standard.

LMAO

more shoes!

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: January 05, 2021, 07:23:13 PM »

Unless you're going to do an entirely statistical evaluation, I think the HOF "standard" for a guy is sustained excellence over a longer time and/or true greatness over a shorter time.  I don't think there is any way that Moyer meets this "standard" but I'm fine with HOF electors defining the terms of "sustained excellence" or "true greatness'".
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 469