Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 282298 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #4065 on: January 13, 2021, 05:44:41 PM »

Major League Baseball does not plan to mandate that fans provide proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test result before entering a ballpark this year.

In a memo sent to teams Monday and obtained by the Los Angeles Times, the league outlined what it called its “minimum health and safety standards” for the 2021 season. The league noted that state and local authorities could mandate more restrictive standards and that all policies are subject to change as the public health situation in the United States changes.

The league completed its 2020 regular season without fans in attendance, because of the coronavirus pandemic. Monday’s memo was intended to help clubs plan “safely welcoming fans back to ballparks in 2021.”

In the memo, the league said teams could decide whether to require proof of vaccination, a negative COVID-19 test, and/or temperature checks but that MLB did not intend to mandate any of those steps. During the 2020 postseason, when MLB admitted a limited number of fans for the World Series and National League championship series in Arlington, Texas, the league did not require temperature checks.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2021-01-11/mlb-fans-vaccine-coronavirus-dodgers-angels

Individual municipalities will likely rule this situation.

I find the lack of caution nuts.

Obviously, you are largely right, given this non-guideline, that either municipalities or states will dictate actual guidelines in some states and not others.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: January 13, 2021, 05:45:13 PM »

I can't imagine going to a game this coming season.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: January 13, 2021, 07:00:23 PM »

I can't imagine going to a game this coming season.

If they drop the prices enough, I can imagine it, after I see what the local rules are or after I have the vaccine and have seen what the upshot is.

I don't expect to go, but I could imagine it. It would be sort of like going to Fenway before mid-summer of 1967!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: January 13, 2021, 08:36:02 PM »

Before the 2020* season started I put up a poll on SoSH asking the question "would you feel safe going to a ball-game tonight"

As the immortal Ned Martin once proclaimed, a long time ago, "Theres a pandemic on the field"

While taking some license with Ned's famous observation from 1967, there may be a pandemic in the stands. Knowing the risks you know, would you feel comfortable watching a game at Fenway in 2020?

LSS, almost 80% of a universe of hard-core fans (almost 400 respondents) said no and would not attend.  About 6% said Yes with no mask social distance seating.

I may run a similiar poll in a month or so to see in a post-vaccine world to what degree sentiment has changed as we gear up for the 2021 season.

Right now I'm a no.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Tendi value tanks
« Reply #4069 on: January 14, 2021, 06:37:14 PM »

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/01/red-sox-discussing-andrew-benintendi-in-trade-talks.html

His 2020 performance aside, there is some concern that Benintendi has declined in foot speed, which could have major repercussions on his game. He has not yet boasted the explosive power traditionally associated with a corner outfielder (.162 career ISO). Per Statcast, Benintendi’s sprint speed has slowed from 28.6 feet per second as a 22-year-old in 2016 to 27.7 ft/s as a 24-year-old in 2018 to 26.6 ft/s as a 26-year-old in the short sample of 2020. That’s a rather stunning fall from the 89th percentile to the 43rd percentile.

yep

weight gain was a real bad idea
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: January 15, 2021, 08:03:23 PM »

Kluber close to 1 yr deal with Ys.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30719373/corey-kluber-finalizing-deal-join-new-york-yankees

Right-hander Corey Kluber and the New York Yankees are finalizing a one-year, $11 million deal that would bring the two-time AL Cy Young winner to the Bronx, pending a physical, sources familiar with the agreement told ESPN's Jeff Passan.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: January 15, 2021, 08:49:19 PM »

Mets did that.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: January 17, 2021, 03:46:25 PM »

Interesting take

I guess you mean NYM showing interest in Kluber forced Yanks hand - and in 2 ways - grabbing the headlines back somewhat - and stealing a player Mets may have signed

Give us Tanaka and I am good.  Might laugh all summer.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: January 19, 2021, 10:58:50 AM »

Speaking of the Mets:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/19/sport/jared-porter-new-york-mets-firing-spt-intl/index.html

Porter was fired because of inappropriate texts he sent to a reporter in 2016.

In his "defense" he explained that the dick pick wasn't really him. It was stock footage.

Oh, so much better.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: January 19, 2021, 02:05:00 PM »

Liking these new Mets more and more each day.

Now sign Jon Lester!

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: January 19, 2021, 02:19:44 PM »

Too late.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: January 19, 2021, 02:34:54 PM »

Speaking of the Mets:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/19/sport/jared-porter-new-york-mets-firing-spt-intl/index.html

Porter was fired because of inappropriate texts he sent to a reporter in 2016.

In his "defense" he explained that the dick pick wasn't really him. It was stock footage.

Oh, so much better.

Even when the Mets get it right, they get it wrong.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: January 19, 2021, 02:44:26 PM »

JOEY LUCCHESI

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lucchjo01.shtml

a nice alternative for NYM

144 hits in 163 innings in 2019 for the 2016 4th round pick

I am sure he will not be inserted right away, will have to battle to be in the rotation.  But happy with this, surely.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: January 19, 2021, 02:45:57 PM »

JOEY LUCCHESI

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lucchjo01.shtml

a nice alternative for NYM

144 hits in 163 innings in 2019 for the 2016 4th round pick

I am sure he will not be inserted right away, will have to battle to be in the rotation.  But happy with this, surely.

So, kid, I see you're back to being a Mets fan, having now abandoned the Red Sox.

Kinda sad that you're such a frontrunner.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: January 19, 2021, 02:50:04 PM »

I hope they win: The Tri-City ValleyCats have sued Major League Baseball and the Houston Astros for their unilateral decision to end their affiliation with the minor league organization. The suit seeks in excess of $15 million, ValleyCats chairman Doug Gladstone said Friday morning.

The team took the action after MLB decided to sever ties with the minor league team and a number of other affiliates around the U.S.

...The sharply worded 33-page complaint accuses Major League Baseball of using "bullying" tactics to pit minor league operations against one another for survival. It notes that the Houston team announced it was continuing its affiliations with "three teams owned by the Astros and one owned by a former U.S. Senator and current Governor, likely in efforts to quell the political discord that has occurred regarding MLB's contraction efforts" — an apparent reference to the Asheville, N.C., Tourists, a team owned by the family of Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine.

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/ValleyCats-sue-Major-League-Baseball-Houston-15874082.php
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 469