Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 282456 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #4110 on: January 24, 2021, 10:06:14 AM »

"Bob" and "Richie" and "Hank".

Two Hall of Famers and a Dick
His career was a few years longer but Dick Allen is sort of similar to Albert Belle - a great player who had... issues that adversely effected how their careers are perceived. Belle's career was too short for serious HoF consideration, but I suspect he would have had the same issue with the BBWA.

And if Dick Allen were white he would have been a "fiery competitor" and in the Hall of Fame. Discuss.

We have. IMO he's a boderline guy. One of the problems is the recent addition of Harold Baines, who IMO was not a HoF, as it opens the border to an influx of MS-13 and other terorists like Dick Allen, Dwight Evans, Torii Hunter, Paul O'Neil, Bernie Williams, Steve Garvey, etc. 

I think however we can all agree that Dick Allen was no Jamie Moyer.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: January 24, 2021, 12:08:42 PM »

Allen’s best recent comparison is Rice, I think.  He matches up pretty favorably.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: January 24, 2021, 01:15:23 PM »

It is a good comp-and we kicked that one around WBW.

IMO Rice was a borderline guy too-and I was on the fence but eventually thought he should be in. And took him his entire time allowance (15 years) to get in. Rice beats Allen in most if not all counting stats, Allen has the edge in rate stats. I could be talked into Allen and to be fair, didn't see a lot of his NL career, but followed him through the sports pages, he was more hype than great hitter.  Rice in 15 years got top-5 MVP votes 5 times, Allen twice.

I think relative to the time they played Rice was the better hitter and probably more deserving of HoF honors than Allen.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: January 24, 2021, 01:16:35 PM »

One of the problems is the recent addition of Harold Baines, who IMO was not a HoF

heh
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: January 24, 2021, 01:17:33 PM »

IMO Rice was a borderline guy too

heh squared

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: January 24, 2021, 01:25:14 PM »

It took Rice 15 years of building support-and getting in with just enough votes, He's a pretty good example of a borderline guy.

Heh^15th

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: January 24, 2021, 01:46:24 PM »

Yeah, interesting process

Alan Trammell (I know - not a Hall of Famer to you) was once below 14%

Heck - they made Carter wait 6 years.

Not sure I get the voters that dont want to use more o their ballots (offten voting NO on a guy when they had 7 open slots only to vote YES on the same guy the next year)

I do understand minds can change - but not to the extent where we see such rises each year.  Rice was never a sub 50% guy.  Yet he was.  I'd have more respect for the vote if he started at 49 and ended at 57, something like that.

Only exception I give to this thinking is with FIRST BALLOT, since that has become a thing - and if you want to reserve this for the best of the best I guess understand.

But you need at least 5 per cent to run away from that - or you are off the ballot (someone please apologize to Lou Whitaker).

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: January 24, 2021, 02:13:15 PM »

(someone please apologize to Lou Whitaker).
Fuckin' A bubba.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Hall of Fame
« Reply #4118 on: January 26, 2021, 05:40:35 PM »

So, who we got this year?

https://baseballhall.org/discover/2021-hall-of-fame-bbwaa-ballot

Schilling
Clemens
Bonds
Helton
Kent
Ramirez

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: January 26, 2021, 06:04:24 PM »

No problem wither with

Wagner
Rolen
A Jones
Sheffield

The first three have reportedly climbed in the balloting this year

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: January 26, 2021, 06:32:10 PM »

LaTroy Hawkins wont stay on the ballot but did get more votes than Hal McRae

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2021/01/25/baseball-hall-fame-ballot-latroy-hawkins/6696285002/

Good piece

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: January 26, 2021, 06:53:39 PM »

Even with Nightengale's impassioned defense of his idiocy, it remains mind-boggling that somebody actually thought LaTroy Hawkins worthy of Hall of Fame admission.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 06:56:52 PM by Yankguy1 »
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: January 26, 2021, 07:34:35 PM »

"Bob" and "Richie" and "Hank".

Two Hall of Famers and a Dick
His career was a few years longer but Dick Allen is sort of similar to Albert Belle - a great player who had... issues that adversely effected how their careers are perceived. Belle's career was too short for serious HoF consideration, but I suspect he would have had the same issue with the BBWA.

And if Dick Allen were white he would have been a "fiery competitor" and in the Hall of Fame. Discuss.

Allen had no issues. The press did. The fuckingwriters didn't stop from putting one of their own in, though, despite this:

On December 20, 2011, Conlin resigned from his sportswriting position just hours prior to the publication of allegations of child molestation. One of Conlin's accusers was his niece, Kelley Blanchet, a prosecutor in Atlantic City, New Jersey. The claims of abuse were first reported to the police in 2009 when Blanchet said she became concerned for the safety of Conlin's other young relatives.  Three more people later claimed they had been abused by Conlin.

The Baseball Writers Association secretary/treasurer Jack O'Connell issued a "member in good standing" statement on December 20. It said in part, "The allegations have no bearing on [Conlin's] winning the 2011 J.G. Taylor Spink Award, which was in recognition of his notable career as a baseball writer".
. *

Bill Conlin. Pedophile. In the HOF.

Think about that for a minute, next time someone says that Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens don't belong because of their "character".

And fuck the BBWA.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: January 26, 2021, 07:39:01 PM »

Even with Nightengale's impassioned defense of his idiocy, it remains mind-boggling that somebody actually thought LaTroy Hawkins worthy of Hall of Fame admission.

He's no Jamie Moyer!

ex-phillie Curt schilling leads the scorned class of '21 with about 71% of the vote. In what will be apparently his last year on the ballot.

According to a letter to the HoF Schilling asked to be removed from the writers' ballot next year.

"I will not participate in the final year of voting. I am requesting to be removed from the ballot. I'll defer to the veterans committee and men whose opinions actually matter and who are in a position to actually judge a player," "I don't think I'm a hall of famer as I've often stated but if former players think I am then I'll accept that with honor."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30784823/no-one-elected-baseball-hall-fame-class-2021

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Hall of Fame
« Reply #4124 on: January 26, 2021, 07:39:38 PM »

So, who we got this year?

https://baseballhall.org/discover/2021-hall-of-fame-bbwaa-ballot

Schilling
Clemens
Bonds
Helton
Kent
Ramirez

No one will get in.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 469