Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 289140 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #4200 on: February 09, 2021, 01:11:36 PM »

The protocols of the meddlers:

The rules on the field will remain the same as a year ago, except no universal designated hitter, at least for now. Doubleheaders will be seven innings instead of nine, and extra innings will begin with runners on second base.

Spring training games until March 13 may also be shortened to five-inning or seven-inning games if agreed upon by both managers, and the completion of innings will not be required if a pitcher has thrown at least 20 pitches. Pitchers will also be permitted to re-enter games after being removed during spring training.

The league is cracking down on player/manager-umpire interactions during games, stating that "players or managers who leave their positions to argue with umpires, come within six feet of an umpire or opposing player or manager for the purpose of argument, or engage in altercations on the field are subject to immediate ejection and discipline, including fines and suspensions."

Stay back, I'm warning you!!!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2021/02/09/mlb-new-covid-19-protocols-suspension/4449358001/
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4201 on: February 09, 2021, 01:18:28 PM »

RIP, Pedro Gomez.

From a piece on his passing: He wrote a scathing column about Curt Schilling that ran the day Schilling was scheduled to pitch Game 7 of the 2001 World Series, calling out the Diamondbacks pitcher for throwing manager Bob Brenly under the bus days earlier.

Gomez wrote, “The past few days also have offered the country insight into Schilling’s little secret, the one baseball insiders have known for years, but one that has rarely surfaced publicly.

“Schilling is something of a con man, someone more intent on polishing his image through whatever means available,
which usually has meant attaching himself to certain members of the media and leaking insights he wants in the open.”

“That column earned him nationwide respect,” said Mark Gonzales, The Republic’s Diamondbacks writer at the time who worked alongside Gomez dating back to their days together in the Bay Area in the 1990s. “When you’re covering a World Series that involves the team you cover, you’re on the big stage and you better bring it because everybody is reading you. I don’t think Pedro disappointed anyone among his brethren.”

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/mlb/diamondbacks/2021/02/08/former-republic-columnist-pedro-gomez-dies-58/4432401001/

Nailed it, Pedro.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: February 09, 2021, 04:28:04 PM »

Baseballs are not inflatable.

Humor is not your thing.
Nor yours. Which was my point.

Thanks for proving MY point.
Typical comeback from you, REDSTATEWARD.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: February 09, 2021, 05:19:03 PM »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4204 on: February 09, 2021, 07:04:07 PM »

https://www.mlb.com/news/jonathan-villar-mets-deal

Throughout the past decade, the Mets have often invested relatively little in their bench, leaving them exposed to injuries and other maladies.

Not so this year. Days after agreeing to terms with veteran outfielder Albert Almora Jr., the Mets struck a similar Major League agreement with utility man Jonathan Villar, according to a source. The Mets have not confirmed the contract, which is worth $3.55 million plus incentives.

When it becomes official, the deal will give the Mets needed depth behind their starters at second base, third base, shortstop, left and center field. Villar has played all those positions throughout his eight-year career, serving mostly as a middle infielder but providing versatility elsewhere.

Whiff machine

But he can run.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4205 on: February 09, 2021, 07:09:34 PM »

I like the Almora add
I think with McCann and Luchessi coming in Mets were getting a bit too white.

Heh

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #4206 on: February 10, 2021, 09:51:23 PM »

Benitendi to Royals?
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: February 10, 2021, 10:09:12 PM »

being reported as a 3-way with the KC and Mets.

Sox getting back an OF from KC and a pitching prospect rom Mets

seems like sell low

adios 10-D

we'll always have '18 and those unfuckingreal catches

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: February 11, 2021, 12:02:40 AM »

That deal may keep me in Sox corner another year

heh

But I will surely have an eye on the Indians build more than Boston

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4209 on: February 11, 2021, 02:27:34 PM »

Details:
Here's the deal in an easier format to process:

Red Sox receive: OF Franchy Cordero, RHP Josh Winchowski, three players to be named (two from Royals)

Royals receive: OF Andrew Benintendi

Mets receive: OF Khalil Lee

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/andrew-benintendi-trade-red-sox-mets-royals-make-three-team-swap-sending-outfielder-to-kansas-city/

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4210 on: February 11, 2021, 02:33:47 PM »

Dead Sox.

Former Red Sox outfielder Billy Conigliaro has passed away at age 73, the team announced Wednesday.

https://www.radio.com/weei/sports/red-sox/former-red-sox-outfielder-billy-conigliaro-dies-at-age-73

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4211 on: February 11, 2021, 02:41:51 PM »

True story of the professional debut of a 12-year old boy: https://www.mlb.com/news/youngest-player-in-baseball-history?t=offbeat

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4212 on: February 12, 2021, 12:46:35 PM »

2021 NLE predictions from MLB.com writers. The predictions have the same value as usual:

DiComo: 1. Braves 2. Mets 3. Nationals 4. Phillies 5. Marlins. (Sorry, PECOTA.)

Bowman: 1. Braves 2. Mets 3. Nationals 4. Phillies 5. Marlins

Zolecki: 1. Braves 2. Mets 3. Nationals 4. Phillies 5. Marlins

De Nicola: I'll be bold and go with: 1. Braves 2. Nationals 3. Mets 4. Marlins 5. Phillies

Camerato: I'll go with big seasons from Scherzer and Soto here: 1. Braves 2. Nationals 3. Mets 4. Phillies 5. Marlins

https://www.mlb.com/news/experts-make-nl-east-predictions

Predictions from last January on that website: 

New York Mets: 93-69
Atlanta Braves: 90-72
Washington Nationals: 85-77
Philadelphia Phillies: 81-81
Miami Marlins: 67-95

Of course, last season* wasn't really a season, and the final standings were:
ATL
FLA
PHL
NYM
WAS

Personally, I think the Mets deep pockets will allow them to make the adjustments they need to make come the trade deadline, whenever that will truly be, so I think they have a decided edge over other teams.

Only time will tell, as we all know that injuries, weather, Covid-19, etc., will all do things to each team that no one anticipated.

Nonetheless, I am still getting that old spring feeling coming on, when hope springs eternal before reality crushes it.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4213 on: February 12, 2021, 12:49:43 PM »

Tampa Bay Rays fans have not forgotten manager Kevin Cash’s decision to remove Blake Snell from Game 6 of the 2020 World Series against the Dodgers – and apparently neither has the person running the Wendy’s Twitter account.

The Wendy’s account, which has gained a bit of a reputation for being savage on Twitter, decided Thursday was “National Roast Day.” To celebrate, they invited Twitter users to reply “Roast Me” to “feel the burn.”

The Tampa Bay Rays decided to step up to the plate and responded saying, “Go ahead, Wendy. Absolutely roast us. Keep it spicy like your nuggs.”

It’s safe to say Wendy’s did, indeed, “keep it spicy.”

“We’re surprised you didn’t pull your social media manager in middle of writing that great tweet,” Wendy’s responded.

OUCH!

https://www.wfla.com/sports/rays/wendys-roasts-rays-for-pulling-blake-snell-in-world-series/

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4214 on: February 16, 2021, 07:57:34 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 469