Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 282497 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2018, 10:33:28 PM »

The New York Daily News made this observation about Chase Adams' start tomorrow at Fenway:
The Red Sox’ powerful lineup, which leads the majors in OPS (.796) is a tough first assignment in the big leagues for any pitcher, let alone one making his big league debut.

Their editors must work in the Department of Redundancy Department.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2018, 10:43:53 PM »

Well East coast teams are are fun
I really like to clap and cheer 
And the Southern teams with the way they hit
They knock me out when I'm down there

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2018, 11:27:26 PM »

Porcello with a gem.

brings to mind Pedro's 1-hitter (Chili Davis dinger) of '99

I don't remember the earlier game, but Pedro was Pedro and when he threw a game like that, while it was appreciated it was not quite as surprising as seeing "Cy" Porcello do it.

A lovely game to see. I wonder what tomorrow will bring.

The Pedro game was the best game I've ever seen a pitcher pitch, with the Chili Davis hr (RF-yankee stadium) the only hit Pedro gave up that night.
17ks no walks.plunked Knobby.

Porcello not nearly as overpowering, but very efficient, and just throwing strikes.

real nice game.

Oh? Mids this game?  https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/PHI/PHI201010060.shtml
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2018, 11:28:36 PM »

The New York Daily News made this observation about Chase Adams' start tomorrow at Fenway:
The Red Sox’ powerful lineup, which leads the majors in OPS (.796) is a tough first assignment in the big leagues for any pitcher, let alone one making his big league debut.

Their editors must work in the Department of Redundancy Department.

They fired all their good writers.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2018, 11:28:39 PM »

Los Angeles has the best baseball team, the Dodgers, the best basketball team, the Lakers, and the best football team, the Rams.

And the best new boxers are coming from California.

http://maciasboxingteam.com/

Salute,

Tony V.

Must be some new definition of "best" being used, Tony, because it sure doesn't align with any of the old ones.

The Dodgers have the 5th best record in their league, with 4 or 5 teams ahead of them in the AL, as well. They are barely ahead of the next team in their division and may be tied with them before the end of the night.

The Lakers? Hahahahaha! They finished behind the Clippers. 'Nuff said.

The Rams were much improved last year. They managed to finish only 3rd in the NFC. And who knows how long they will stay in LA this time?

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2018, 11:32:10 PM »

I've seen lots of no-hitters, but I've never seen a better pitched game, nor a more dominant performance, than Pedro's when he pitched against the Ys in '99.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2018, 11:35:35 PM »

https://baseballhall.org/discover/inside-pitch/pedro-martinez-blanks-indians-in-alds

This is probably the most amazing pitching performance I can remember having seen. It wasn't a complete game or close to it, because it was a relief appearance in the 4th, but it was the guttiest and most dominating, especially under the circumstances.

I've probably seen better complete games - the no-hitter against the Red Sox this season was mighty dominant.

But Pedro, with nothing over 90mph available, with those 6 innings of no hit ball just sticks in a way few other games ever have stuck with my feeble memory.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2018, 11:07:11 AM »

that was a helluva gutsy performance and that game came a month after the 1-hitter

its a amazing he snuffed a great line-up Tribe team with no heater

Pedro could pitch.

good call.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2018, 03:56:14 PM »

Yanks need to do everything now to set up for the wild card game, including figuring out who they want to pitch

Right now without any doubt it is TANAKA, if they are thinking straight

I'm excited to see ADAMS, who I would have taken as a Met - today.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2018, 05:13:12 PM »

Another quick on in Boston

Still cannot believe Sox gave up prospect Beeks to get Eovaldi

heh

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2018, 05:17:31 PM »

Who questioned that trade? Heh.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2018, 05:20:12 PM »

Yanks need to do everything now to set up for the wild card game, including figuring out who they want to pitch

Right now without any doubt it is TANAKA, if they are thinking straight

I'm excited to see ADAMS, who I would have taken as a Met - today.

So far, he's slightly better than Severino was yesterday, both in runs and in pitches thrown. Better than they might have feared if not as good as they likely had hoped. "Better than Severino was yesterday" is not a high bar to clear.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2018, 06:08:16 PM »

Who questioned that trade? Heh.

Same trade as Britton

- but you liked Shreve, I get it.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2018, 06:10:12 PM »

Not the same trade as Britton. Not even close. You're becoming more of a troll daily.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2018, 06:19:06 PM »

You think Red Sox "needed" Eovaldi?  For what?

I am going on the premise that you did NOT think Yanks needed Britton (easy, since this is basically what you posted)

The 2 deals are identical, right down to the "we kept him from the opposition" stance.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 469