Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 370579 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: The World Series!
« Reply #6150 on: November 03, 2021, 11:56:26 PM »

glad to see the NLE show why it was the most competitive division in baseball this season.

Except that it wasn't.

The AL East was more competitive this season by a large measure.

By a huge measure here are the head to head record of the ALE teams versus the WC Braves and the NLE in the aggregate

In the following table, which should be self explanatory, the Rays were 2-1 against the Braves and 15-5 against all NL East teams

Braves                       All NLE teams
Rays           2-1                                15-5

R/Sox         3-1                                16-4

Yanks         3-1                                12-8 

Bj              6-0                      14-6

sub-total    14-3                                57-23

Os              0-3                                 7-13

total      14-6                               64-36 

In 2021 the AL East owned the WC Braves and the NL East.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 11:58:01 PM by bankshot1 »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6151 on: November 04, 2021, 01:14:03 AM »

It's true - but it is not what Ham means by competitive.

He has previously been clear that he means having the teams be closely clumped together.

But in 2021, while the 1st and 2nd teams in the NL East were closer than 1st and 2nd in the AL East, the first four AL East teams were closer than just the first three NL East teams, coming down to the last day of the season to know who was going to the WC game and which team would host it.

And if all one cares about is the first two teams, the NL West's competitiveness blows away the NL East. The top two in the NL Central were closer than the top two in the NL East. And the top 3 of the AL West were more tightly grouped than the top 3 in the NL East, and their top 4 teams, as well.

Even going by how close the last team was to the first, which is a stupid way to define it, the AL Central's last team was closer to first than the NL East's last team was.

IOW, it's a stupid claim by Ham.

Nothing new.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6152 on: November 04, 2021, 10:10:06 AM »

Cool stat -

Red Sox lost 35 games in their division (41 wins) - and 35 outside (51).
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6153 on: November 04, 2021, 11:12:35 AM »

These race charts for the season indicate that the NLE is the one division which had by record the closest bunching of all of its teams throughout the entire season.

This is what I mean by competitive division.

ALE did well, but the O's are the ALE punching bag. In the NLE, there were never any assumed victories.

That is all.

https://erikberg.com/mlb/charts

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #6154 on: November 04, 2021, 12:17:47 PM »

https://sports.yahoo.com/andrew-mccutchen-odubel-herrera-options-123453401.html

The Phillies have begun the process of tightening their roster in preparation for what figures to be a busy winter as they look to put together a team that can break a 10-year postseason drought in 2022.

The team on Wednesday declined 2022 options on the contracts of outfielders Andrew McCutchen and Odubel Herrera. McCutchen could have made $15 million in 2022. The Phils bought it out for $3 million. Herrera could have made $11.5 million in 2022. The Phils bought that out for $2.5 million.

McCutchen is a free agent.

Herrera remains part of the Phillies organization for at least another month as he is eligible for salary arbitration. However, the team could pass on offering him a contract on December 2 and that would make him a free agent.

Free agency will be hung up until there is a CBA, which could take some time..

So long, Cutch, and good luck to a true professional.

Odubel? Bye.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #6155 on: November 04, 2021, 12:19:39 PM »

Buster Posey retiring. Part of his legacy will be a rule that is among those ruining baseball.

https://sports.yahoo.com/buster-posey-to-reportedly-retire-after-fantastic-12-year-career-with-giants-214653748.html

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6156 on: November 04, 2021, 02:41:17 PM »

These race charts for the season indicate that the NLE is the one division which had by record the closest bunching of all of its teams throughout the entire season.

ALE did well, but the O's are the ALE punching bag. In the NLE, there were never any assumed victories.

That is all.

The NLE was the punching bag for the rest of the league. The AL Central was 5 games better at top and bottom. They were both under water, but the NL East was deeper.

Washington lost more than 60% of their in division games.
Detroit, not the worst ALC team, was worst in division games, but they only lost 58% of their games.

Were there other teams with bigger punching bags than either? Sure. But neither division was competitive other than within their division and the ALC was more competitive overall. Was the NLE more competitive in some parts of the season? Sure.

But the Braves' win didn't prove a damned thing about how competitive the NLE was and it is bizarre to claim it did.

It did prove how well put back together they were at mid-season!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #6157 on: November 04, 2021, 02:47:30 PM »

The Braves WS win was an example of a team getting hot at the right time.

Good for them, they are the champs.

IMO, by most accepted standards the most competitive of MLB's divisions was the AL East, where 4 teams, with 90+ wins, competed until the last day of the season for post-season play

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6158 on: November 04, 2021, 03:11:51 PM »

The Braves WS win was an example of a team getting hot at the right time.

Good for them, they are the champs.

IMO, by most accepted standards the most competitive of MLB's divisions was the AL East, where 4 teams, with 90+ wins, competed until the last day of the season for post-season play

We agree.

I'm just suggesting that even using Ham's flawed concept, the NLE was not it.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6159 on: November 04, 2021, 04:21:38 PM »

The BEST division was the AL East

The most competitive was WHOGIVESASHIT

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
Hot Stove? Maybe not so hot this winter.
« Reply #6160 on: November 04, 2021, 04:27:36 PM »

There are two things to consider going into the CBA. One is that there may be a floor of $100 Million that ownership has to pay in salary. In combination with that, the luxury tax threshold would be lowered to enable smaller market teams to reach that $100 million mark.

So, if that and the universal DH end up in the CBA, then free agency will be quite interesting.

The other aspect to consider is that MLB is not in a good position with the fans if they end up locking out players, but that doesn't mean they won't.

So, we could end up with a lot of things going down in late March---a delayed opening, last minute deals with free agents, etc. The first hurdle is will they go to the Winter Meetings, because there is some concern that this will be cancelled.

The next hurdle in all of this will be, can the MLBPA, the owners, and the Commissioner's office keep their mouths closed, and just shut the door and get things done.

I am quite skeptical of that happening.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6161 on: November 04, 2021, 06:14:34 PM »

The BEST division was the AL East

The most competitive was WHOGIVESASHIT
The best and most competitive division was [the one my favorite team plays in.] End of argument.

Actually, I cannot make that argument with a straight face.
A parrot bit me.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #6162 on: November 04, 2021, 08:28:26 PM »

That is all.

The NLE was the punching bag for the rest of the league. The AL Central was 5 games better at top and bottom. They were both under water, but the NL East was deeper.

Detroit, not the worst ALC team, was worst in division games, but they only lost 58% of their games.

Were there other teams with bigger punching bags than either? Sure. But neither division was competitive other than within their division and the ALC was more competitive overall. Was the NLE more competitive in some parts of the season? Sure.

But the Braves' win didn't prove a damned thing about how competitive the NLE was and it is bizarre to claim it did.

Clearly you missed the point.

No surprise there.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6163 on: November 04, 2021, 08:45:05 PM »

That is all.

Clearly you missed the point.

No surprise there.

The "point" was that you claim the NLE was most competitive every year.

And every year you are wrong.

No news.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6164 on: November 05, 2021, 08:44:23 AM »

Pretty competitive though, eh, Josh?

Don't be such a prick.  Maybe bring another baseball issue to light, so the horse can rest in peace.
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 469