Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 282367 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #3180 on: June 08, 2020, 01:35:16 PM »

Screw the owners, the actual folks who are impeding bringing back the game we say we love.

Don't know if anyone saw this, but Fay Vincent agrees:

Nearly 30 years later, Vincent still considers the owners politically clueless and on the wrong side of the current dispute. He’s been following the negotiations casually, not closely, but baseball’s timeless principles still apply

And that is: the players are the talent, they’re the game’s oxygen. No matter what they earn, they’re still getting ripped off.

“Over the last 25 years, there’s been this general myth that the players have done better than the owners,” Vincent said. “People think, ‘the union’s won because the players are making so much money.’ Well, the reality is the Yankees are worth $10 billion. If the Steinbrenner sold the team today, the players wouldn’t get a nickel. The players don’t own YES, they don’t own SNY, they don’t own NESN. So tell me who is the winner and who is the loser?

“George Steinbrenner bought the Yankees for $10 million. That team is one of the greatest investments in history and his family owns it all. The same is true for all the owners: after tax dollars and capital gains (tax) they’ve held onto every bit of equity.”

...Still, he’s not surprised Clark and the union are skeptical of the owners’ potential losses. The distrust dates back to the collusion cases in the 1980s, when the owners were found guilty of conspiring to avoid competitive bidding for players. They were forced to pay $280 million in damages.

Vincent has a simple translation for all that.

“The owners stole that money from the players. Stole it. There’s no other verb,” he said. “When you steal that much it’s a hard argument to deflate. It’s why the players have never trusted owners since then.”

And that leaves Vincent at the doorstep of a doomsday conclusion about where baseball is headed in 2020.

“I’m not optimistic about a deal,” he said. “I just don’t think it’s going to happen.”

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2020/06/former-mlb-commissioner-warns-owners-players-union-cannot-be-broken-it-looks-like-its-1994-all-over-again.html

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: June 09, 2020, 12:36:20 PM »

78 games

8 playoff teams per league.

Decision expected from players by tomorrow

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: June 09, 2020, 12:38:37 PM »

If they say no - MLB could go with 48 games - with playoffs staying at 5 per

Players would be giving up playoff shares (for the 6 teams left out) - and prorated reg. season dollars.

Fingers crossed they wise up and say yes.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: June 09, 2020, 06:12:01 PM »

Sorry, but this whole situation is the owners' fault. And the weakass commish.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: June 10, 2020, 09:22:41 AM »

I dont care who you blame

Like I said - decision likely today.

I admit - I am selfish - wanna see some games.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: June 10, 2020, 10:30:48 AM »

The baseball guy in the Washington Post wrote today:

There will almost certainly be a Major League Baseball season in 2020, a reality that reflects less a strong degree of confidence in MLB and its players’ union striking an economic deal and more an acknowledgment that Commissioner Rob Manfred can essentially impose his will, with some caveats, in the absence of one. Whatever that ends up looking like, it will satisfy almost no one and infuriate many.

Link to entire article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/06/09/baseball-squandered-its-chance-best-case-return-now-it-is-left-with-mess/
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: June 10, 2020, 10:35:28 AM »

You can't be infuriated if you had the chance to take a better deal.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: June 10, 2020, 10:56:32 AM »

You can't be infuriated if you had the chance to take a better deal.
The players already accepted that better deal. Ownership came back for more. You can be infuriated that your negotiating partner reneged on a good faith agreement about how to adjust salaries due to the pandemic.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: June 10, 2020, 11:30:12 AM »

I haven't kept up with this issue very closely but my sense is the owners want to squeeze the players as hard as they can, get them to accept a bad deal for a very shortened (and to a meaningless) season and then hope post-season TV money bails them out of massive losses. And then regroup for 2021. The real goal seems the same: to slash labor costs and further weaken the MLBPA. 

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: June 10, 2020, 11:36:23 AM »

Owners have the hammer.  They can just say FUCK IT - we will play 48 games and have just ten playoff teams.

Seems to me this was collectively bargained.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: June 10, 2020, 11:49:27 AM »

Owners have the hammer.  They can just say FUCK IT - we will play 48 games and have just ten playoff teams.

Seems to me this was collectively bargained.
The owners have the right to start the season when they want. The issue is the owners trying to pull back more money than they agreed.to in "good faith". But then, there has been a toxic labor relationship between the parties, which tends to color matters.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: June 10, 2020, 11:57:47 AM »

The 48-game money is set in stone -  should a more palatable agreement not be reached.

You can post what the other is - I will certainly read it with thanks

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: June 10, 2020, 12:03:33 PM »

Reminder - draft tonight - 7 pm ESPN

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: June 10, 2020, 12:15:44 PM »

Who's got the answer?

With a shortened regular season (48, 76 games or whatever) how will the TV $ for a 162 PLUS the post-season games be reduced?

Has Fox, TBS and ESPN's negotiations been made known?  Or taken place? Is it possible owners could get 48/162 (or whatever) for the reg season games but 100% of the more valuable post-season games?

Do the owners want to pay the players proportionately for the regular season 48/162  (?) yet hope to get

1) mostly fully compensated by the TV networks for the post-season games

AND

2) pay players zero $ for the post-season (players have traditionally only gotten paid by playing in the post-season, and only get a modest % of the game revenues)

Again I don't know how the networks value the dovid-shortened season but its not hard to imagine a renegotiation could ultimately and knowingly unfairly under-compensate players.   

you guys got any facts or answers or ....?
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 469