Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 282326 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #3270 on: June 18, 2020, 06:21:27 PM »

16 team playoffs

DH in both leagues

Seems players will now push for similar agreement but with more games.

AD SPACE to be sold on MLB uniforms as part of agreement (I'd think somewhat similar to NBA, not NASCAR)

So, if the 60 games brought you 16 teams in the play-offs last season, the Nats don't even make the play-offs, and certainly don't become World Champions.

Yes, it will be the 2020* season.
Unless it is Philadelphia maybe? Because if it is Cleveland winning it all your asterisk can go directly up your... asterisk.

You have punctuated your remarks with negativity.
Really? Looks like a period to me, although I also used a question mark and elipses.

We were just discussing the solar elipses in tother forum!

And any final sentence that is discussing Cleveland's winning it all has to be considered positivity, not negativity! Downright ebullient optimism!

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: June 18, 2020, 07:30:45 PM »

16 team playoffs

DH in both leagues

AD SPACE to be sold on MLB uniforms as part of agreement (I'd think somewhat similar to NBA, not NASCAR)

So, if the 60 games brought you 16 teams in the play-offs last season, the Nats don't even make the play-offs, and certainly don't become World Champions.

Unless it is Philadelphia maybe? Because if it is Cleveland winning it all your asterisk can go directly up your... asterisk.

Really? Looks like a period to me, although I also used a question mark and elipses.

And any final sentence that is discussing Cleveland's winning it all has to be considered positivity, not negativity! Downright ebullient optimism!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f1OCE3fh2dg

It is like college football, where each year I expect two things: Michigan State to win the National Championship, and crushing personal disappointment.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: June 18, 2020, 08:26:13 PM »

Owners reportedly pissed that the players countered with 70 games to their 60-game proposal.

uhhhh, yeah

10 games poorer

But if these games (70) fit into the time frame MLB was OK with from the start - let's go.

Anything making the playoffs end after 10/27 is problematic.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: June 18, 2020, 09:34:42 PM »

Owners reportedly pissed that the players countered with 70 games to their 60-game proposal.

uhhhh, yeah

10 games poorer

But if these games (70) fit into the time frame MLB was OK with from the start - let's go.

Anything making the playoffs end after 10/27 is problematic.

maybe, maybe not.

No one other than the owners have seen the books and sources of income so taking their word on the magnitude of financial damage done is problematic.

There could be a single season impact (loss or lower profitability) but to perhaps if the owners extend themselves this year and save the baseball season, futire years may rebound/recover. There's also the PR fall-out that has been mostly in the favor of the players that they could squelch.

And they could recapture a sports starved public rather than just flip them the finger.

if  the owners can play 60 games they can probably afford 70, seeing as most have billions in baseball-related equity to call upon to protect their investments.

And playing 70 rather than 60 gives them 10 more games to build excitement for the post-season.

not my money though.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: June 18, 2020, 10:55:45 PM »

60* games 16 teams competing for the WS.

Hmm, excepting the lost 94 money losing regular season games, this could be 1960!

More like 1981.*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_Major_League_Baseball_strike

There's no strike this year, not yet, and I was going for the 16 team competing for a WS.

I was seeing a parallel in a shortened season with fear and loathing and discord attached to prime actors. Plus, teams got into the playoffs that didn't belong.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: June 18, 2020, 10:55:59 PM »

MLB owners are so upset by the players’ counterproposal — which is said for about $300M more — that no response is expected to be immediate. Time is obviously getting short so hopefully it’s not too long, of course.

- Heyman

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: June 18, 2020, 10:56:41 PM »

16 team playoffs

DH in both leagues

Ahhhh... Mr. Sunshine!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: June 18, 2020, 11:02:32 PM »

No one other than the owners have seen the books and sources of income so taking their word on the magnitude of financial damage done is problematic.

At best. Given the owners' history, they're simply utterly not to be believed.

Given that their commissioner has shown the propensity to bend rules and consort with criminals in order to get his way, he's not to be believed, either.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: June 19, 2020, 12:03:16 AM »

Utterly not to be believed

a nicely appropriate phrase

heh.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: June 19, 2020, 05:10:45 PM »

Corona outbreak for first MLB organization.

UPDATE (2:16 p.m.): ESPN’s Jeff Passan reports “the Toronto Blue Jays on Thursday shut down their spring training facility in Dunedin, Fla., after a player exhibited COVID-19 symptoms, sources tell ESPN. Dunedin is just up the road from Clearwater, where eight people in the Philadelphia Phillies organization tested positive. The Blue Jays player exhibiting the symptoms is a pitcher on the 40-man roster who recently had spent time with players in the Phillies’ minor leagues system, according to sources. He has been tested for COVID-19 and is awaiting results.”

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2020/06/mlb-rumors-phillies-dealing-with-coronavirus-outbreak-at-florida-spring-training-facility.html

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: June 19, 2020, 08:16:20 PM »

MLB moves toward cancelling season.  Will not consider anything beyond 60 games.  Taking the weekend to finalize their next action.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: June 20, 2020, 01:28:15 PM »

It sounds like with Covid still spreading, players getting infected, and the players/owners still squabbling, there might not be baseball this year.

I wonder if the owners have business interuption insurance to cover losses in the event... and what the deductible might be.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: June 20, 2020, 02:01:23 PM »

MLB moves toward cancelling season.  Will not consider anything beyond 60 games.  Taking the weekend to finalize their next action.

Those greedy, greedy players, wanting to play more baseball!

The nerve.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: June 20, 2020, 02:16:30 PM »

I wonder if the owners have business interuption insurance to cover losses in the event... and what the deductible might be.

They do not
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 469