Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 282609 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #3330 on: June 26, 2020, 03:16:42 PM »

Another "sun kills virus" voice heard.

It's not about the sun, it's about the open air being a safer environment than being inside the circulated air of a dome.

I doubt he can hear you any better than he could hear me, but we can hope.

His post, though incorrect, leads me to wonder if they will even bother with day games.  With a limited # of games i would guess that evening games would be best to maximize ratings and revenue.

On a related note, was there any thought to playing doubleheaders to get the number of games up past 60?

I thought about it. I think it would be great. I'm not sure why with a start date of July 23 or 24 they've decided upon 60 games vs. more, even with days off. Seasons have ended on October 2nd pretty recently - that would give 71 or 72 days.

One could have 4 days off scheduled and add an additional home and home within one's division - 12 against each division opponent instead of 10. Toss in a couple planned double-headers and a couple extra rest days.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: June 26, 2020, 05:29:00 PM »

Not that simple to just change the end date to 10/2.

MLB gave the framework on dates.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: June 26, 2020, 06:12:35 PM »

Not that simple to just change the end date to 10/2.

MLB gave the framework on dates.

It's that simple, Kid.

It only takes volition.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: June 26, 2020, 06:21:40 PM »

Players fucked the fans (and themselves) out of expanded playoffs ($$), All Star Game and HR Derby.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: June 26, 2020, 06:23:24 PM »

Players fucked the fans (and themselves) out of expanded playoffs ($$), All Star Game and HR Derby.

You say that as if Manfred could not have just ordered those things to happen.

You sure have a hard-on for the players and support for the owners that is not matched by the history of the owners.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: June 26, 2020, 06:33:40 PM »

What to do about Fenway?

Fenway Park could become the next epicenter of racial injustice protests in American sports

https://sports.yahoo.com/fenway-park-could-become-the-next-epicenter-of-racial-injustice-protests-in-american-sports-172524048.html

I'm hard pressed to believe that this only happens at Fenway Park. 

Still, MLB has to make sure that it meets this head on.

Further thoughts from Adam Jones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_bk7Sdl4zU
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: June 26, 2020, 06:59:52 PM »

correct

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: June 26, 2020, 07:15:49 PM »

correct

Hell, Roger Goodell could have ordered them done!

But the reason we have the season we have ahead of us is because Manfred mandated it. He could have taken care of the others, too.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: June 26, 2020, 07:17:20 PM »

Fenway should ban racist assholes and trolls and make sure the ban sticks.

Perhaps they can take a page fom Elba. Once someone is IDed for repeated reprehensible anti-social behavior here, the repeating offender gets banned. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 07:20:23 PM by bankshot1 »

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: June 26, 2020, 07:20:45 PM »

Fenway should ban racist assholes and trolls and make sure they ban sticks.

Perhaps they can take a page fom Elba. Once someone is IDed for repeated reprehensible anti-social behavior here, the repeating offender gets banned.

We haven't banned the racist assholes and trolls. And our ability to make the ban stick is... variable.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: June 26, 2020, 07:27:19 PM »

Fenway should ban racist assholes and trolls and make sure they ban sticks.

We haven't banned the racist assholes and trolls. And our ability to make the ban stick is... variable.

I didn't say that racist assholes have been banned here, but trolls who have repeated vile anti-social behavior have been banned. I suggested that Fenway ban racists.

And I understand that certain situations may be beyond Elbanese administrative control and outcomes can be... variable.

Or someone forgot to close the back door.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: June 27, 2020, 01:05:43 PM »

Earlier this month, CBS Sports reported that the Texas Rangers had become the first known Major League Baseball team to bring workers back into the office -- and had done so despite surging COVID-19 cases in Tarrant County. Not even two weeks have passed, yet CBS Sports can confirm a report by ESPN's Jeff Passan that "several members" of the organization have tested positive for the coronavirus in recent days, according to an internal announcement.

CBS Sports has since obtained and reviewed the internal memo issued to Rangers employees on June 11, days before the mandate to come back went into effect.

The memo, entitled "Front Office Re-Opening Guidelines," does not explicitly require employees to return to the office, but the section on remote work leaves little room for interpretation. "We are excited to invite everyone back to work," the memo reads. "Remote work may be offered depending on the circumstances to employees who have child care issues or who have a medical condition and are in need of an accommodation."

The memo then identifies an employee in the human resources department to contact for "approval of that request," indicating two things: 1) returning to the office is not a voluntary arrangement; and 2) the team is retaining the right to deny requests as it sees fit...

The Rangers are located in Arlington, Texas, which is part of Tarrant County. According to the government's data, more than 3,300 infections have been reported since the Rangers reopened their offices. Tarrant County as a whole has set a new weekly record for infections in three consecutive weeks. Nearly half of its 10,000 total cases have been recorded during that time.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/several-rangers-employees-test-positive-for-covid-19-less-than-two-weeks-after-mandate-to-return-to/

Another example of ownership's commitment to $$$$ before all else. That's who the owners really are.

Only a dope would ever think they give a crap about any of their employees.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: June 27, 2020, 05:43:41 PM »

Only a dope would ever think they give a crap about any of their employees.

Should be a helluva season.
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 469