Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 282199 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #3345 on: June 29, 2020, 01:00:21 PM »

If last season had stopped after 60 games, the Rangers would have won the second wild card. The Cubs would have won the NL Central, and the Phillies would have won the NL East. In other words, three out of the 10 teams that were in playoff position at that point didn’t end up making the playoffs. That’s pretty typical: According to data from Baseball Prospectus, 36.5 percent of teams during the divisional era (1969 to 2019, excluding the 1981 and 1994 strike seasons) that were in playoff position through 60 games didn’t end up making the playoffs. The tables below* list the prospective playoff qualifiers through 60 games that finished with the worst full-season records, and the actual playoff teams with the worst records through 60 games.

* See the article. it's quite good!

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2020/6/26/21304056/playoff-randomness-shortened-season

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: June 29, 2020, 07:22:15 PM »

I put up a poll on SoSH a few days ago re baseball, the pandemic and how fans might view attending games.

poll choices were

attend under pre-covid seating protocol
only attend with social distance seating and mask
only if comped a private suite
only watch game on TV
other

https://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?threads/would-you-feel-safe-attending-a-game-at-fenway-tonight.30716

I think non-members/lurkers can vote

or vote/voice an opinion here.

I'll repost the original post for context

As the immortal Ned Martin once proclaimed, a long time ago, "Theres a pandemic on the field"

While taking some license with Ned's famous observation from 1967, there may be a pandemic in the stands. Knowing the risks you know, would you feel comfortable watching a game at Fenway in 2020?

We are a community of mostly Sox fans, most of whom have spent a lot of time in Fenway, America's most cramped ballpark. So we know the deal, If you're taller than 5'5"" your knees get squished by the seat in front of you, if you're over 175 lbs, those seats squeeze your ass. Either way your elbow to elbow next to your neighbor. The normal social distance in Fenway is about 2 inches. Under those conditions how do you feel about seeing a game at America's most beloved closet with 30,000 strangers?

Or would you require social distance protocols with about 20-30% of the traditional crowd, (my ballpark estimate) masks required, but at probably premium pricing.

Would you pass a beer and dogs down the row? Or the change? Or would you only sit on the aisle to cut the risks? Would you take your kids or grand kids to a game?

So many hypotheticals to ponder as we consider how fans adapt to the challenges of being a fan in the age of covid-19.

Or do you say screw it I'm watching DOB, RemDawg and Eck, and save my knees.

Take me out to the ball game
I don't need a big crowd 
Buy me some peanuts and N-95 mask
I don't care, there's always the Cask

whaddya say "Elba"

how would you feel comfortable watching MLB in 2020?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 07:24:20 PM by bankshot1 »

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: June 29, 2020, 08:37:08 PM »

I would go to a game with my girlfriend if there was no one directly in the row behind or in front of us, at least empty three seats to either side of us

- not going to the game on my own
- not going if I have to pay more than 2x face value. 
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: June 29, 2020, 08:50:10 PM »

While I'm firm in my belief that they won't be playing any baseball this year, if they do I'm not going anywhere near a ballpark.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: June 29, 2020, 09:08:22 PM »

I recommend the fall collegiate baseball in your area

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: June 29, 2020, 09:10:36 PM »

I go to Maryland games all the time, but my views are the same. I doubt they'll play, but if they do it will be without me.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: June 29, 2020, 09:41:10 PM »

I recommend the fall collegiate baseball in your area

they playing on-line?

Yank-I watched a pretty good show on Showtime this past weekend about hoops in your neck of the woods, it was about the history of hoops in Prince George County. I knew about DeMatha and Wooten but they did a lot on the neighborhood and clubs teams and great players And had a segment on Bias and Durant. It was pretty good.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 09:42:43 PM by bankshot1 »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: June 29, 2020, 09:45:06 PM »

Would love to have seen that. At one time DC area high school ball was as good as it gets. Especially if Baltimore was considered as well

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: June 29, 2020, 10:02:19 PM »

It may show up on-line eventually after its run on Showtime, its called "Basketball County-In the Water" 

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: June 29, 2020, 10:21:00 PM »

Thanks. Will look for it.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: June 30, 2020, 12:21:18 PM »

Take me out to the ball game
I don't need a big crowd
Buy me some peanuts and N-95 mask
I don't care, there's always the Cask

No peanuts for YOU!  From NYT:Today, most of the 2.3 million pounds of in-shell peanuts consumed during a typical baseball season are languishing in cold storage, waiting — like the fans — for an opening day at the park that is unlikely to come. Baseball teams both minor and major are trying to find a way to schedule a season, but there will be no one in the stands to shell out $4 or $5 for a bag of peanuts.

And players are opting out of the "season".

"Think about it: right now in baseball we've got a labor war. We've got rampant individualism on the field. In clubhouses we've got racist, sexist, homophobic jokes or flat-out problems. We've got cheating. We've got a minority issue from the top down. One African American GM. Two African American managers. Less than 8% Black players. No Black majority team owners.

"Perhaps most disheartening of all is a puzzling lack of focus on understanding how to change those numbers. A lack of focus on making baseball accessible and possible for all kids, not just those who are privileged enough to afford it.

"If baseball is America's pastime, maybe it's never been a more fitting one than now," Desmond said.

Desmond concluded by explaining why he is opting out of playing this season.

"The COVID-19 pandemic has made this baseball season one that is a risk I am not comfortable taking," he wrote.

"With a pregnant wife and four young children who have lots of questions about what's going on in the world, home is where I need to be right now,'' Desmond wrote. "Home for my wife, Chelsey. Home to help. Home to guide. Home to answer my older three boys' questions about Coronavirus and Civil Rights and life. Home to be their Dad.''

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29385606/rockies-ian-desmond-opting-playing-2020-citing-high-risk-amid-pandemic

And...

Washington Nationals first baseman Ryan Zimmerman and pitcher Joe Ross are opting out of the 2020 season delayed by the coronavirus pandemic "for the personal health and safety of themselves and their loved ones," the team announced Monday.

Zimmerman, 35, was the Nationals' first draft pick when the franchise moved out of Montreal and has played for the team since making his debut on Sept. 1, 2005.

"After a great deal of thought and given my family circumstances -- three young children including a newborn, and a mother at high risk -- I have decided not to participate in the 2020 season," Zimmerman said in a statement.

Zimmerman has been writing a diary for The Associated Press since the coronavirus shut down sports this spring. In the 10th installment last week, he expressed concerns about playing in 2020.

"I have a 3-week-old baby,'' Zimmerman wrote. "My mother has multiple sclerosis and is super high-risk; if I end up playing, I can pretty much throw out the idea of seeing her until weeks after the season is over. There's a lot of factors that I and others have to consider. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer; it's everybody's individual choice.''

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29384355/nationals-ryan-zimmerman-joe-ross-opt-2020-season

Expect more players to opt out.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 12:23:25 PM by UNO »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: June 30, 2020, 01:23:18 PM »

If the season starts and finishes and I have my doubts, I can see more and more guys who have banked decent dough, weigh the health risks and inconveniences imposed versus play for 1/3 of their salary and say screw it, call it a season, leaving playing time to younger guys who haven't made their money yet. 

And if pitchers aren't going to get shelled its a damn shame that peanuts, held hostage, aren't either!!!

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 01:32:24 PM by bankshot1 »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: June 30, 2020, 07:41:12 PM »

Let me know when a meaningful player decides not to play

Did Snell decide officially yet?

No shortage of guys ready to hop in.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: June 30, 2020, 08:19:05 PM »

There's probably a lot of guys who'd love a shot to jump from AA, AAA to AAAA ball

Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 469