Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Indians vs. Braves - Who will officially change their name first?

Cleveland in a week or more (July 10 or later)
- 1 (50%)
Cleveland in 4-6 days (July 7-9)
- 0 (0%)
Cleveland in 3 days or fewer (on or before July 6)
- 0 (0%)
Both on the same day
- 0 (0%)
Altlanta in 3 days or fewer (on or before July 6)
- 0 (0%)
Atlanta in 4-6 days (July 7-9)
- 0 (0%)
Atlanta in a week or more (July 10 or later)
- 1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: July 05, 2020, 09:37:54 PM

Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 202

Author Topic: American League  (Read 65752 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: American League
« Reply #2940 on: June 26, 2020, 07:27:19 PM »

Fenway should ban racist assholes and trolls and make sure they ban sticks.

Perhaps they can take a page fom Elba. Once someone is IDed for repeated reprehensible anti-social behavior here, the repeating offender gets banned.

We haven't banned the racist assholes and trolls. And our ability to make the ban stick is... variable.

I didn't say that racist assholes have been banned here, but trolls who have repeated vile anti-social behavior have been banned. I suggested that Fenway ban racists.

And I understand that certain situations may be beyond Elbanese administrative control and outcomes can be... variable.

Or someone forgot to close the back door.

UNO

• View Profile

UNO

• View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: June 26, 2020, 10:31:25 PM »

UNO

• View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: June 27, 2020, 01:05:43 PM »

Earlier this month, CBS Sports reported that the Texas Rangers had become the first known Major League Baseball team to bring workers back into the office -- and had done so despite surging COVID-19 cases in Tarrant County. Not even two weeks have passed, yet CBS Sports can confirm a report by ESPN's Jeff Passan that "several members" of the organization have tested positive for the coronavirus in recent days, according to an internal announcement.

CBS Sports has since obtained and reviewed the internal memo issued to Rangers employees on June 11, days before the mandate to come back went into effect.

The memo, entitled "Front Office Re-Opening Guidelines," does not explicitly require employees to return to the office, but the section on remote work leaves little room for interpretation. "We are excited to invite everyone back to work," the memo reads. "Remote work may be offered depending on the circumstances to employees who have child care issues or who have a medical condition and are in need of an accommodation."

The memo then identifies an employee in the human resources department to contact for "approval of that request," indicating two things: 1) returning to the office is not a voluntary arrangement; and 2) the team is retaining the right to deny requests as it sees fit...

The Rangers are located in Arlington, Texas, which is part of Tarrant County. According to the government's data, more than 3,300 infections have been reported since the Rangers reopened their offices. Tarrant County as a whole has set a new weekly record for infections in three consecutive weeks. Nearly half of its 10,000 total cases have been recorded during that time.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/several-rangers-employees-test-positive-for-covid-19-less-than-two-weeks-after-mandate-to-return-to/

Another example of ownership's commitment to $$$$ before all else. That's who the owners really are.

Only a dope would ever think they give a crap about any of their employees.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: June 27, 2020, 05:43:41 PM »

Only a dope would ever think they give a crap about any of their employees.

Should be a helluva season.

UNO

• View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: June 29, 2020, 01:00:21 PM »

If last season had stopped after 60 games, the Rangers would have won the second wild card. The Cubs would have won the NL Central, and the Phillies would have won the NL East. In other words, three out of the 10 teams that were in playoff position at that point didnít end up making the playoffs. Thatís pretty typical: According to data from Baseball Prospectus, 36.5 percent of teams during the divisional era (1969 to 2019, excluding the 1981 and 1994 strike seasons) that were in playoff position through 60 games didnít end up making the playoffs. The tables below* list the prospective playoff qualifiers through 60 games that finished with the worst full-season records, and the actual playoff teams with the worst records through 60 games.

* See the article. it's quite good!

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2020/6/26/21304056/playoff-randomness-shortened-season

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: June 29, 2020, 07:22:15 PM »

I put up a poll on SoSH a few days ago re baseball, the pandemic and how fans might view attending games.

poll choices were

attend under pre-covid seating protocol
only attend with social distance seating and mask
only if comped a private suite
only watch game on TV
other

https://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?threads/would-you-feel-safe-attending-a-game-at-fenway-tonight.30716

I think non-members/lurkers can vote

or vote/voice an opinion here.

I'll repost the original post for context

As the immortal Ned Martin once proclaimed, a long time ago, "Theres a pandemic on the field"

While taking some license with Ned's famous observation from 1967, there may be a pandemic in the stands. Knowing the risks you know, would you feel comfortable watching a game at Fenway in 2020?

We are a community of mostly Sox fans, most of whom have spent a lot of time in Fenway, America's most cramped ballpark. So we know the deal, If you're taller than 5'5"" your knees get squished by the seat in front of you, if you're over 175 lbs, those seats squeeze your ass. Either way your elbow to elbow next to your neighbor. The normal social distance in Fenway is about 2 inches. Under those conditions how do you feel about seeing a game at America's most beloved closet with 30,000 strangers?

Or would you require social distance protocols with about 20-30% of the traditional crowd, (my ballpark estimate) masks required, but at probably premium pricing.

Would you pass a beer and dogs down the row? Or the change? Or would you only sit on the aisle to cut the risks? Would you take your kids or grand kids to a game?

So many hypotheticals to ponder as we consider how fans adapt to the challenges of being a fan in the age of covid-19.

Or do you say screw it I'm watching DOB, RemDawg and Eck, and save my knees.

Take me out to the ball game
I don't need a big crowd 
Buy me some peanuts and N-95 mask
I don't care, there's always the Cask

whaddya say "Elba"

how would you feel comfortable watching MLB in 2020?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 07:24:20 PM by bankshot1 »

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: June 29, 2020, 08:37:08 PM »

I would go to a game with my girlfriend if there was no one directly in the row behind or in front of us, at least empty three seats to either side of us

- not going to the game on my own
- not going if I have to pay more than 2x face value. 
KP tosses salads in dallas

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: June 29, 2020, 08:50:10 PM »

While I'm firm in my belief that they won't be playing any baseball this year, if they do I'm not going anywhere near a ballpark.
Knowing ahead, there comes a fork in the road.  Pants have gotta go. We're on an island on the Fourth of July.  It looks like the tide is going home.....

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: June 29, 2020, 09:08:22 PM »

I recommend the fall collegiate baseball in your area
- Renewing.  Restoring.  Rebuilding. -

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: June 29, 2020, 09:10:36 PM »

I go to Maryland games all the time, but my views are the same. I doubt they'll play, but if they do it will be without me.
Knowing ahead, there comes a fork in the road.  Pants have gotta go. We're on an island on the Fourth of July.  It looks like the tide is going home.....

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: June 29, 2020, 09:41:10 PM »

I recommend the fall collegiate baseball in your area

they playing on-line?

Yank-I watched a pretty good show on Showtime this past weekend about hoops in your neck of the woods, it was about the history of hoops in Prince George County. I knew about DeMatha and Wooten but they did a lot on the neighborhood and clubs teams and great players And had a segment on Bias and Durant. It was pretty good.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 09:42:43 PM by bankshot1 »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: June 29, 2020, 09:45:06 PM »

Would love to have seen that. At one time DC area high school ball was as good as it gets. Especially if Baltimore was considered as well

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: June 29, 2020, 10:02:19 PM »

It may show up on-line eventually after its run on Showtime, its called "Basketball County-In the Water" 

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: June 29, 2020, 10:21:00 PM »

Thanks. Will look for it.
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 202