Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 282499 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #3435 on: July 07, 2020, 08:21:07 PM »

The metaphysical "tree falling in the forest" question is whether a schedule can be unfair if the games are not going to be played anyway.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

Echo2

• View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: July 07, 2020, 08:40:29 PM »

the 40 games against their AL East foes -- 10 games each --will not be evenly split. For example, the Sox will play the Yankees in New York seven times and the Rays in Florida six times. Conversely, Toronto will visit Fenway seven times and the Orioles will be here for six games.

What's with that?!

It would have been too simple to schedule the 4 division rivals 5H 5A for 40 games
and the other league disvision (NL E in this case)  5 teams      2H 2A for 20 games.

Not that its going to matter, but the Sox play the Ys 7 times in NY before their first series against them in late Sept

And 7 times in NY and 3 times at Fenway.

It makes no sense.

Waaaahhhh!!!

As ever, your cogent analysis speaks volumes.

About you, that is.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: July 07, 2020, 10:56:50 PM »

Its hypothetical time: 

For a second let's put yank's falling tree scenario on hold, and assume MLB manages to play 50-60 games.

Let's say that Justin Verlander (or anyone) has one of a crazy good 2-month run, and is about untouchable, in his 12 starts, he's 11-1 with a 0.85 ERA. Is the ERA recognized as an MLB record?

As an aside in doing copious research how the fuck did Tim Keefe go 6-6 with an 0,86 ERA? He must have had some shitty defenders behind him

Similiarly in a shortened 2-month 60 game season the possibility of someone, lets say Mookie, leads the NL and hits .412. Presumably he'll win the batting title , but will MLB maintain the 502 AB (unlikely in 60 games) rule for comparability with other seasons and milestones like the rareness of a 400 season?

How will MLB account for the 2020 season.

and if records fall will anyone hear it?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 10:58:29 PM by bankshot1 »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: July 07, 2020, 11:20:39 PM »

Keefe lost 80 games in 3 years and made the HOF

heh

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: July 08, 2020, 12:14:43 AM »

As an aside in doing copious research how the fuck did Tim Keefe go 6-6 with an 0,86 ERA? He must have had some shitty defenders behind him

27 runs given up.
10 earned, 17 unearned.

The next year, 145 earned, 96 unearned.
Then 104 earned, 117 unearned.

He only had one more year in which he gave up more unearned runs than earned, but it was never good.
--------------------

Then again, that 6 and 6 year, there was one primary starter - 64 starts, 64 complete games. Mickey Welch Gave up 162 earned runs in 574 innings. But he also gave up 159 unearned runs!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 12:20:08 AM by Echo4 »

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: July 08, 2020, 08:46:16 AM »

Phillies play Yankees a lot.

Could be fun. Nats get way more Orioles games than some in NLE..

But I don't care. I don't see how the "season" can ever be taken seriously.

One thing that can be taken seriously, though, is how MLB was always aiming to play just 60 games, as Manfred said.

Do, the 2020 season is when America was reminded of how MLB NEVER negotiated in good faith.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: July 08, 2020, 03:15:19 PM »

"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: July 08, 2020, 07:44:56 PM »

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29390843/wow-kind-stories-lost-seasons-minor-league-baseball

Minor league players on the impact on them, including some "bubble" players.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: July 09, 2020, 09:35:54 PM »

Paging Dr. West! Paging Dr. West! Dr. Joe West!

The MLB umpires union distances themselves from one of its oldest, dumbest members:

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/07/09/mlbua-releases-statement-regarding-joe-wests-covid-19-comments/

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: July 10, 2020, 01:54:26 AM »

Paging Dr. West! Paging Dr. West! Dr. Joe West!

The MLB umpires union distances themselves from one of its oldest, dumbest members:

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/07/09/mlbua-releases-statement-regarding-joe-wests-covid-19-comments/

It's not surprising that somebody among the umpires is that clueless. The column is right that it is questionable whether MLB can afford to put West on the field.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: July 10, 2020, 12:02:12 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/09/opinions/retired-baseball-players-covid-19-accidental-buddhists-balukjian/index.html

Not really sure why "covid-19" is in the URL. Very minor part of the story, IMO.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: July 10, 2020, 02:19:23 PM »

Buster Pussy Posey opts out fo the season. Maybe they'll let them play baseball and slide into home plate again, now?

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: July 10, 2020, 02:21:29 PM »

Rampant cheating in MLB.

Some things never change.

OfOf all the ways in which Major League Baseball will look different during the pandemic, the most whimsical is the wet rag. According to the health and safety protocols in the league’s 2020 operations manual, “All pitchers may carry a small wet rag in their back pocket to be used for moisture in lieu of licking their fingers.”

“Wet rag” is, of course, a very funny phrase, although the rag is around for a serious reason (reducing the spread of disease). Like any rule in sports, though, the wet rag regulation exists to be exploited and could produce unintended consequences more serious than swamp butts. MLB knows that not everyone can be trusted to use their wet rag responsibly, which is why the manual lays down the law. “Pitchers may not access the rag while on the pitching rubber and must clearly wipe the fingers of his pitching hand dry before touching the ball or the pitcher’s plate,” the protocols specify. “Umpires will have the right to check the rag at any point.” The manual also stipulates that “water is the only substance allowed on the rag.”

When I informed a former major league pitcher who now works for a team—let’s call him Deep Throwt—of the rag’s arrival, he questioned my facts, texting, “A wet rag? Really? This must be fake.” When I explained that the very real rag must be doused only in water, more mirth followed. “Hahahahahahahahahahahaha,” he said. “Yeah, water will be on that rag. Hahahahahahaha.” Deep Throwt is not former reliever Jeff Nelson, who expressed the same sentiment on Twitter with 19 fewer “ha”s.

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2020/7/10/21175567/banned-substances-pitchers-spin-rate-four-seam

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: July 14, 2020, 08:19:20 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/14/us/canada-mlb-blue-jays-spt/index.html

Where will the Toronto Blue Jays play their home games?!

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 469