Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 282580 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #3540 on: July 31, 2020, 12:52:20 PM »

Postponement streak is up to 6 games in Philly. Anyone know the record for most games postponed in a row in MLB history?

And here come the Cardinals to try to make their own mark:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/31/sports/baseball/cardinals-twins-coronavirus-mlb.html

Clearly a different or additional playoff system need to happen for the teams that play the fewest games or have the fewest available players. Like the old 3 on 3 types of contests! Pitcher, catcher, fielder.

They are exploring playing either two 7-inning games or one 9-inning game and one 7-inning game for make-up doubleheaders.

But they may end up playing home run derby. Your best pitcher who is still healthy vs our best hitter who is still healthy.

7-inning double-headers were approved yesterday by the MLB and the players union.

I understand they will be separate non-admission double-headers

good question about the string of postponements.

IIRC Game 6 of the '75 WS was delayed by 3 days of rain

And after the 9-11 attack I think games were postponed for a week.

in any case there wil be no escaping the *this year.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 12:54:02 PM by bankshot1 »

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: July 31, 2020, 01:06:55 PM »

Postponement streak is up to 6 games in Philly. Anyone know the record for most games postponed in a row in MLB history?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/31/sports/baseball/cardinals-twins-coronavirus-mlb.html

Clearly a different or additional playoff system need to happen for the teams that play the fewest games or have the fewest available players. Like the old 3 on 3 types of contests! Pitcher, catcher, fielder.

They are exploring playing either two 7-inning games or one 9-inning game and one 7-inning game for make-up doubleheaders.

But they may end up playing home run derby. Your best pitcher who is still healthy vs our best hitter who is still healthy.

7-inning double-headers were approved yesterday by the MLB and the players union.

I think April of 2018 had a ton of postponements, too, which were weather related, but I don't know the MLB record.

The Phillies-Tampa Bay WS was also postponed Game 5 for two days after the Rays rallied in the rain to tie it at 2-2 in the top of the sixth. The field was a mess, but asked of Bud Selig back then was what would've happened if the Phils had maintained their lead and taken it into the bottom of the sixth? Would they have been awarded a win?

Bud's answer:

"There is no way I would have let a World Series game end that way.I would have delayed it till Thanksgiving if I had to."

I'm guessing Bud is glad he's retired, now, and doesn't have to deal with this Covid nightmare.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: July 31, 2020, 01:25:04 PM »

10 day earth quake delay in 1989 World Series.  3 straight postponements in 1962 World Series.  Both times in San Francisco...
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: July 31, 2020, 02:07:29 PM »

10 day earth quake delay in 1989 World Series.  3 straight postponements in 1962 World Series.  Both times in San Francisco...

Good point.

Calling for the season to end, already: https://www.inquirer.com/phillies/phillies-should-opt-out-mlb-season-covid-19-20200730.html

Phillies manager Joe Girardi suggested during a radio interview earlier this week that the problem could be solved by using a team’s winning percentage regardless of the number of games they have played when the time comes to seed the eight playoff teams in the National League and American League.

A better solution would be to just end the season right now. The Phillies’ players should get on board with that idea. They would be entirely justified if they told union leader Tony Clark and commissioner Rob Manfred that they wanted off this bumpy ride immediately. Even if some of the Marlins players were guilty of going out in Atlanta, the protocols put in place by MLB also failed the Phillies when Miami was allowed to take the field Sunday.

And now the odds are stacked against the Phillies in so many ways now. Let’s assume, and it’s a big assumption, they resume the season on Monday by beginning a four-game series against the New York Yankees with two games on the road and two more at Citizens Bank Park.

By the time that happens, the Phillies will have been off for seven days and even if they can find a way to work out between now and then, there is no substitute for actually playing games. In the best-case scenario, Aaron Nola will pitch Monday and Zack Wheeler will pitch Tuesday with each going on eight days’ rest. Extra rest is great in late July during a normal baseball season. It’s a detriment to getting into a routine and groove during a COVID-19 baseball season.

“The players aren’t playing baseball right now and they are used to playing almost daily,” Phillies general manager Matt Klentak said Wednesday. “We’ve had two starters [Jake Arrieta and Zach Eflin] who haven’t even been able to take their first turn through the rotation yet.”
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: July 31, 2020, 04:36:26 PM »

The MLB season has now reached the end of July. Is it too early to talk about Shane Bieber as a Cy Young candidate?
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile

Echo4

• View Profile

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: August 02, 2020, 01:38:51 PM »

After seeing this, I'm betting Roger Clemens was so pissed off he went out and threw a broken bat at the nearest guy with back acne!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/yankees-broadcaster-suzyn-waldman-honors-gerrit-cole-request-by-singing-national-anthem-230803815.html

barton

« Reply #3549 on: August 02, 2020, 02:08:27 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/02/red-sox-ace-27-wont-pitch-this-season-because-heart-ailment-linked-covid-19/

When a healthy young athlete gets myocarditis,  from covid,  you get a solid reality check on "it's just bad flu. " 

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: August 02, 2020, 07:48:47 PM »

Cespedes was a no show today, followed by the news that he'd emptied his room and was backing out of the season, without so much as a by your leave to management.

Meanwhile, Joey Votto is self-reporting symptoms.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: August 02, 2020, 09:36:48 PM »

Cool

Mets could use the money and the lineup slot.

Echo4

• View Profile

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: August 06, 2020, 11:48:24 PM »

Jose Altuve, Alex Bregman and George Springer are hitting a combined .184 with a .677 OPS to start the season.
[/size]

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: August 07, 2020, 08:18:06 AM »

Sensitive Yankees:

A group of Philadelphia Phillies fans congregating outside Citizens Bank Park earned the annoyance of New York Yankees manager Aaron Boone on Thursday, all thanks to a strategically employed air horn.

The Yankees manager confronted umpires in the third inning about the matter, pointing to the fans standing by a gate. Per NBC Sports Philadelphia’s Corey Seidman, the fans’ air horn was clearly audible during at-bats throughout the top of third inning.

There was little the umpires could do with Boone’s complaints, as they hold no jurisdiction outside the stadium gates. The Phillies might be able to do something, though that hardly sounds like a winning battle for the team.

Per NBC Sports Philadelphia, the “Phandemic Crew” has become a fixture outside games early in the season, and even featured a drumline on Wednesday.

Boone: Air horn disturbed ‘golf environment’
After the game, Boone criticized the timing of the horn to reporters, calling the game “almost like a golf environment” and saying he just wanted to point out the matter to the umpires.

https://sports.yahoo.com/yankees-manager-aaron-boone-takes-issue-with-phillies-fans-blowing-air-horn-during-atbats-044944928.html

What's par for this next inning, Aaron?
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 469