Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Indians vs. Braves - Who will officially change their name first?

Cleveland in a week or more (July 10 or later)
- 1 (50%)
Cleveland in 4-6 days (July 7-9)
- 0 (0%)
Cleveland in 3 days or fewer (on or before July 6)
- 0 (0%)
Both on the same day
- 0 (0%)
Altlanta in 3 days or fewer (on or before July 6)
- 0 (0%)
Atlanta in 4-6 days (July 7-9)
- 0 (0%)
Atlanta in a week or more (July 10 or later)
- 1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: July 05, 2020, 09:37:54 PM

Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211

Author Topic: American League  (Read 69948 times)

UNO

• View Profile
Re: American League
« Reply #3135 on: July 30, 2020, 01:30:34 PM »

I'm giving this "season" another two weeks.
Yep.

Then we can start writing the trivia questions for the future.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: July 30, 2020, 11:00:40 PM »

Winning Streak!

UNO

• View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: July 31, 2020, 12:27:11 PM »

Postponement streak is up to 6 games in Philly. Anyone know the record for most games postponed in a row in MLB history?

And here come the Cardinals to try to make their own mark:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/31/sports/baseball/cardinals-twins-coronavirus-mlb.html

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: July 31, 2020, 12:29:21 PM »

Postponement streak is up to 6 games in Philly. Anyone know the record for most games postponed in a row in MLB history?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/31/sports/baseball/cardinals-twins-coronavirus-mlb.html

Clearly a different or additional playoff system need to happen for the teams that play the fewest games or have the fewest available players. Like the old 3 on 3 types of contests! Pitcher, catcher, fielder.

UNO

• View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: July 31, 2020, 12:33:53 PM »

Clearly a different or additional playoff system need to happen for the teams that play the fewest games or have the fewest available players. Like the old 3 on 3 types of contests! Pitcher, catcher, fielder.

They are exploring playing either two 7-inning games or one 9-inning game and one 7-inning game for make-up doubleheaders.

But they may end up playing home run derby. Your best pitcher who is still healthy vs our best hitter who is still healthy.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: July 31, 2020, 12:52:20 PM »

They are exploring playing either two 7-inning games or one 9-inning game and one 7-inning game for make-up doubleheaders.

But they may end up playing home run derby. Your best pitcher who is still healthy vs our best hitter who is still healthy.

7-inning double-headers were approved yesterday by the MLB and the players union.

I understand they will be separate non-admission double-headers

good question about the string of postponements.

IIRC Game 6 of the '75 WS was delayed by 3 days of rain

And after the 9-11 attack I think games were postponed for a week.

in any case there wil be no escaping the *this year.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 12:54:02 PM by bankshot1 »

UNO

• View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: July 31, 2020, 01:06:55 PM »

7-inning double-headers were approved yesterday by the MLB and the players union.

I think April of 2018 had a ton of postponements, too, which were weather related, but I don't know the MLB record.

The Phillies-Tampa Bay WS was also postponed Game 5 for two days after the Rays rallied in the rain to tie it at 2-2 in the top of the sixth. The field was a mess, but asked of Bud Selig back then was what would've happened if the Phils had maintained their lead and taken it into the bottom of the sixth? Would they have been awarded a win?

Bud's answer:

"There is no way I would have let a World Series game end that way.I would have delayed it till Thanksgiving if I had to."

I'm guessing Bud is glad he's retired, now, and doesn't have to deal with this Covid nightmare.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: July 31, 2020, 01:25:04 PM »

10 day earth quake delay in 1989 World Series.  3 straight postponements in 1962 World Series.  Both times in San Francisco...
Knowing ahead, there comes a fork in the road.  Pants have gotta go. We're on an island on the Fourth of July.  It looks like the tide is going home.....

UNO

• View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: July 31, 2020, 02:07:29 PM »

10 day earth quake delay in 1989 World Series.  3 straight postponements in 1962 World Series.  Both times in San Francisco...

Good point.

Calling for the season to end, already: https://www.inquirer.com/phillies/phillies-should-opt-out-mlb-season-covid-19-20200730.html

Phillies manager Joe Girardi suggested during a radio interview earlier this week that the problem could be solved by using a teamís winning percentage regardless of the number of games they have played when the time comes to seed the eight playoff teams in the National League and American League.

A better solution would be to just end the season right now. The Philliesí players should get on board with that idea. They would be entirely justified if they told union leader Tony Clark and commissioner Rob Manfred that they wanted off this bumpy ride immediately. Even if some of the Marlins players were guilty of going out in Atlanta, the protocols put in place by MLB also failed the Phillies when Miami was allowed to take the field Sunday.

And now the odds are stacked against the Phillies in so many ways now. Letís assume, and itís a big assumption, they resume the season on Monday by beginning a four-game series against the New York Yankees with two games on the road and two more at Citizens Bank Park.

By the time that happens, the Phillies will have been off for seven days and even if they can find a way to work out between now and then, there is no substitute for actually playing games. In the best-case scenario, Aaron Nola will pitch Monday and Zack Wheeler will pitch Tuesday with each going on eight daysí rest. Extra rest is great in late July during a normal baseball season. Itís a detriment to getting into a routine and groove during a COVID-19 baseball season.

ďThe players arenít playing baseball right now and they are used to playing almost daily,Ē Phillies general manager Matt Klentak said Wednesday. ďWeíve had two starters [Jake Arrieta and Zach Eflin] who havenít even been able to take their first turn through the rotation yet.Ē

Hairy Lime

• Used to be whiskeypriest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: July 31, 2020, 04:36:26 PM »

The MLB season has now reached the end of July. Is it too early to talk about Shane Bieber as a Cy Young candidate?
You and I aren't heroes. This world doesn't make any heroes, outside of your stories

Echo4

• View Profile

UNO

• View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: August 02, 2020, 01:38:51 PM »

After seeing this, I'm betting Roger Clemens was so pissed off he went out and threw a broken bat at the nearest guy with back acne!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/yankees-broadcaster-suzyn-waldman-honors-gerrit-cole-request-by-singing-national-anthem-230803815.html

barton

• View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: August 02, 2020, 02:08:27 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/02/red-sox-ace-27-wont-pitch-this-season-because-heart-ailment-linked-covid-19/

When a healthy young athlete gets myocarditis,  from covid,  you get a solid reality check on "it's just bad flu. " 
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes. "
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211