Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 282286 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #3675 on: October 01, 2020, 03:09:38 AM »

The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: October 01, 2020, 09:43:15 PM »

More baseball history:

Gehrig confirms that Ruth called his shot!

https://www.mlb.com/news/babe-ruth-called-shot-confirmed-lou-gehrig-audio-clip
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: October 02, 2020, 11:23:35 PM »

Bob Gibson dies at 84

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinals-hall-of-famer-bob-gibson-dies-at-84-after-bout-with-cancer/article_90a0dff7-bee3-5a81-9eb0-91663f29fb4d.html

By almost any account, Stan Musial was considered the greatest Cardinals player. By the same accounts, Bob Gibson, who died at age 84 Friday night in Omaha, Nebraska, under hospice care after fighting pancreatic cancer for more than a year, was considered the franchise’s greatest pitcher.

Gibson was the Cardinals' second National Baseball Hall of Famer to die in the past month. His longtime teammate, Lou Brock, died at age 81 on Sept. 6. Gibson's death came on the 52nd anniversary of perhaps his greatest game, a record 17-strikeout performance in Game 1 of the 1968 World Series.

Damn

One of the all-time greats.

I was lucky enough to see him pitch G7 in '67 from the Fenway CF cheap seats.

His '68 season was unbelievable.

RIP Mr. Gibson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: October 02, 2020, 11:30:50 PM »

Great pitcher. Among the greatest of competitors. Saw him pitch many times, in his prime.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: October 03, 2020, 02:25:55 PM »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: October 04, 2020, 12:02:58 AM »

The only team north of Charlottesville, VA still in the playoffs is New York. Second northernmost team is Oakland, which is almost at the same latitude as Richmond, VA.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: October 04, 2020, 12:40:39 PM »

So the Marlins have a good chance, then, based on the latitude theory. Got it.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: October 04, 2020, 03:04:05 PM »

So the Marlins have a good chance, then, based on the latitude theory. Got it.

Exactly!

(Correlation =/= Causation. IOW, no.)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: October 08, 2020, 01:01:30 AM »

Quite the games, tonight! Watching Joe Kelly come in in the 9th to walk his first two batters, loading the bases, brought back memories!

So did Bellinger's centerfield catch.

Not to mention Mookie's game!

I also loved watching the TB Rays beat the Yankees, though they are not done yet!

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: October 08, 2020, 11:39:15 AM »

Clearly those games have meaning for the players and their team's fans  watching or listening at home, but they are less than exciting.

You cannot gimmick the tension that surrounds post-season baseball. You need fans in the stands. You need the young woman covering her face because she can't watch the 3-2 pitch with two on and nobody out. You need the tension in the faces of the young men sitting with her. You need the cut to the old lady decked out in her team's colors, her eyes wide with wonder as the noise of the crowd reaches a crescendo on each pitch. You need the crowd screaming that the ump just blew it with that last pitch that was too close to take, perhaps, but still not a strike as he called it. You need all of that and more. And you cannot manufacture it.

From a standpoint of everyone on that field being relentless competitors and doing their best to win, whatever it takes to win, that IS happening. There seems to be no lack of effort on anyone's part.

However, the intense emotion and tension which has accumulated throughout the journey of a lengthy season and that now rests on a pitch which might culminate in either righteous joy or abject futility, that sense that everything has led to this moment on the field and now rests on what the pitcher delivers and how the hitter responds, the same sense captured in so many seasons before this one, and the feelings that have fueled so many autumn contests in the past is what is so sorely missed in 2020.

No cardboard cutout and or soundtrack of crowd noise can capture it.

No screaming broadcaster can project that emotion for us.

This postseason is muted by the 2020 pandemic and it will only be memorable for what it has lacked: the fans and what they bring to the games.

They are who really make the games great, especially in the post-season.

The coronavirus has infected us in so many more ways than we might have anticipated.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: October 08, 2020, 02:21:24 PM »

And there, I thought you were a baseball fan, not a spectacle fan.

I found the games exciting that I watched yesterday, despite the piped in noise.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: October 08, 2020, 11:16:11 PM »

I found the games exciting that I watched yesterday, despite the piped in noise.

Your desperation is noted.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: October 08, 2020, 11:36:02 PM »

Your failure to comprehend other humans' emotions is noted, yet again.

I am sorry that it takes other people watching for you to derive pleasure from the game.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: October 09, 2020, 10:46:50 AM »

Your failure to comprehend other humans' emotions is noted, yet again.

I am sorry that it takes other people watching for you to derive pleasure from the game.

You have misinterpreted the commentary above. Perhaps willfully.

Then again, comprehension of that which is not strictly literal is not among your strengths.
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 469