Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 290124 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #5955 on: October 24, 2021, 12:46:43 PM »

I hope they stay hot and beat the Astros.

So do the other people betting on them.

I don't bet baseball.

as kid has shown time and time again, its an easy way to lose money.

As an aside, speaking as a stat guy, a lot of people bet based on a team's starting pitcher, and with post-season baseball being determined by starters going 3-5 innings, or with an opener, starting pitching as a betting stat in the post-season has become less useful. It adds a lot more uncertainty (read that as risk) to the process.

my two scents.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5956 on: October 24, 2021, 02:17:44 PM »

NL West?

You lose.

NL East? You're going to the World Series!!!

Heh

Atlanta and Houston are both refugees of the original NL West, anyway, so I think saying the NLW lost is not entirely fair. The Astros have still spent more time in the NLW than in any other division.

You missed the point. But probably because you follow the AL.

All season long, we heard how pathetic the NLE was and how GREAT the NLW was.

But the East forged resilient teams which overcame adversity,  and the Braves exemplify that.

The Braves would also like to thank the Indians for trading Rosario to them for Kung Fu Panda and cash.

I think it's a stupid point.

Yes, the Braves beat one representative of the NL West. The other was beaten by their division-mate.

The top four teams in the NLW had only 13 fewer wins than the entire NLE. No team in the NLE had a winning record against the NLW and only one broke even. For that matter, the NLE had only 2 teams with a winning record against the NLC and none against the AL teams.

The NLE was and is pathetic in 2021.

The BRAVES won. That doesn't suddenly change how pathetic the division was.

Using your usual criterion, the AL East was by far and away the best division. Using mine, too. The NLE? Pathetic, no matter how you measure the group, regardless of the success of their best team. And during the regular season, that best team was only +1 outside their division. They destroyed their own defective NLE fellows. They were the worst outside their division of any of the playoff teams.

Of course, the 2nd worst were the Astros... but still +6, not a mere +1.

Nope. The Braves won the NLE because they were resilient, survived losing Acuna, made good trades, played good defense, and because the NLW was overrated, as was the ALE, but that's another story.

If you watched real baseball, you might have a clue.

Sure. Whatever you say.

The Dodgers survived losing Kershaw, until they lost Scherzer, too. They made good trades.

The Braves played better, but, as you have just demonstrated, the National League East sucked as a division. The Braves were good.

No defense of your position that the NLE was great and the NLW did not deserve their praise.

I, too, hope the Braves beat the Astros, but their division sucked.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: October 24, 2021, 02:38:01 PM »

Divisional superiority trash talk is very compelling
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: October 24, 2021, 04:18:33 PM »

Divisional superiority trash talk is very compelling

It's better in this folder than in the World Series/NLCS/NLDS folder would have been!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: October 24, 2021, 04:38:23 PM »

NL West?

You lose.

Heh

Atlanta and Houston are both refugees of the original NL West, anyway, so I think saying the NLW lost is not entirely fair. The Astros have still spent more time in the NLW than in any other division.

But the East forged resilient teams which overcame adversity,  and the Braves exemplify that.

The Braves would also like to thank the Indians for trading Rosario to them for Kung Fu Panda and cash.

Yes, the Braves beat one representative of the NL West. The other was beaten by their division-mate.

The top four teams in the NLW had only 13 fewer wins than the entire NLE. No team in the NLE had a winning record against the NLW and only one broke even. For that matter, the NLE had only 2 teams with a winning record against the NLC and none against the AL teams.

Using your usual criterion, the AL East was by far and away the best division. Using mine, too. The NLE? Pathetic, no matter how you measure the group, regardless of the success of their best team. And during the regular season, that best team was only +1 outside their division. They destroyed their own defective NLE fellows. They were the worst outside their division of any of the playoff teams.

Nope. The Braves won the NLE because they were resilient, survived losing Acuna, made good trades, played good defense, and because the NLW was overrated, as was the ALE, but that's another story.

Sure. Whatever you say.

The Dodgers survived losing Kershaw, until they lost Scherzer, too. They made good trades.

The Braves played better, but, as you have just demonstrated, the National League East sucked as a division. The Braves were good.

No defense of your position that the NLE was great and the NLW did not deserve their praise.

You must have just started watching baseball.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: October 24, 2021, 05:10:03 PM »

NL West?

You lose.

Heh

Sure. Whatever you say.

You must have just started watching baseball.

You sound like a Jets fan.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: October 24, 2021, 05:15:20 PM »

Actually he sounds like Red.

and is just as persuasive.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: October 24, 2021, 08:10:54 PM »

Is this where I come for an argument?

- I told you ONCE.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: October 25, 2021, 09:10:48 AM »

I'm pretty sure we got some arguments available here.

What size are you looking for small, medium large, X-large, or

Let me guess, children's small, right?

Kid's department is right over there.

heh

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: The World Series!
« Reply #5965 on: October 25, 2021, 06:14:41 PM »

Buehler gave up the 3 run blast. He certainly bears some all of the responsibility.

- Kept waiting for Walker's moment.

Nope.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: NLCS!
« Reply #5966 on: October 25, 2021, 06:18:46 PM »

Two of you predicted the Braves in 6 games. Who was it?

Who will win? (The AL poll is in the Major League forum)
Dodgers in 7 - 0 (0%)
Dodgers in 6 - 1 (20%)
Dodgers in 5 - 1 (20%)
Dodgers in 4 - 0 (0%)
Braves in 4 - 0 (0%)
Braves in 5 - 1 (20%)
Braves in 6 - 2 (40%)
Braves in 7 - 0 (0%)

Had the Braves

Now 4-4, including play in games

I'll go with Johnnie Baker for the title.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
Re: The World Series!
« Reply #5967 on: October 25, 2021, 09:58:15 PM »

Buehler gave up the 3 run blast. He certainly bears some all of the responsibility.

- Kept waiting for Walker's moment.

Nope.

I think that some were wondering why he was pitching to Rosario in that situation with anything that came inside. But, the Dodgers are saying that fatigue was a factor for Beuhler, who had to pitch because the Great One, Mad Max, bailed on the team.

Regarding the Series, i think the Braves are going to have to fight that feeling of "do we really belong here"? The Astros, however, seem wholly committed to finishing the season as World Champions.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 469