Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 399 400 [401] 402 403 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 290689 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The World Series!
« Reply #6000 on: October 29, 2021, 02:15:14 PM »

https://tht.fangraphs.com/estimating-wind-effects-at-suntrust-park/

The winds tonight are not supposed to hit 10mph during the game and only maybe tomorrow night.

While it will make things chillier, the direction of the wind is not likely to add to the scoring, except maybe Sunday.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6001 on: October 29, 2021, 05:11:19 PM »

What happens when a ridiculous figure like 3.5 trillion dollars enters as a serious thought -

The 400+ million that this would cost seems small

heh

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/murphy-letter-cabinet-secretaries-horrific-decision

Whatever will the Braves do, now?!!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6002 on: October 29, 2021, 08:28:07 PM »

checked swing, miscalled

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6003 on: October 29, 2021, 09:33:23 PM »

Houston dodged a bullet. Only 1-0 for the Braves.

Garcia's thrown a lot of pitches for 3 innings, but a couple short ones could help him make it through 6, perhaps.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6004 on: October 29, 2021, 10:30:16 PM »

Sorry, kid, you've given up no hits thru 5 innings. You're coming out of the game.

Okay, Coach.

What? How about fuck you, Coach, I'm out hing a nohitter in the fucking World Series! I ain't coming out.

Fuck this nerdball. No wonder people are walking away from the game.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #6005 on: October 29, 2021, 10:31:21 PM »

Shohei Ohtani, Bryce Harper, Max Scherzer and Robbie Ray highlighted the list of those who claimed Players Choice Awards for the 2021 season. The awards, announced Thursday on ESPN, are presented by the Major League Baseball Players Association and are voted on by the players themselves.

Ohtani and Ray were named Outstanding Player and Outstanding Pitcher, respectively, for the American League, while Harper and Scherzer claimed Outstanding Player and Outstanding Pitcher for the National League, honors similar to the MVP and Cy Young awards that are voted on by the Baseball Writers' Association of America.

I think the MLBPA should vote on Outstanding Baseball Writer of the Year.

Good one. Spot on.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6006 on: October 29, 2021, 10:48:49 PM »

The TV ratings don't align with your perception of people's walking away from the game, even if it also doesn't show folks running to it, either.

Numbers still suck compared to 2003 or even 2015, but they are better than last year and in many cases better than 2019. The loss of the Dodgers and the Red Sox hurt the WS numbers a lot.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/2021-world-series-opener-rises-atlanta-braves-bachelorette-slip-1234863389/

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2021/10/mlb-postseason-ratings-lcs-viewership-dodgers-braves-game-6-tbs/

he average viewership for the 2021 MLB postseason through the division series was at its highest marks since 2018. Viewership is up 89% from the 2020 MLB playoffs and there is a 3% spike from the playoffs in 2019.

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2021/10/boston-red-soxs-wild-card-game-win-over-yankees-was-most-watched-mlb-game-on-espn-since-1998-delivered-198-rating-in-boston-market.html

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #6007 on: October 29, 2021, 11:02:43 PM »

Major League Baseball welcomed fans back into the stands in 2021, but attendance was at a generational low.

The league saw 45.3 million fans attend regular-season games in 2021, a 33.9% drop from the 68.5 million in 2019, and the lowest figure since 1984.

Certain caveats apply: Many teams only opened to full capacity by midseason, and the Toronto Blue Jays played at alternate sites until late July due to Canadian travel restrictions.

However, fans also watched fewer games from home.

https://frontofficesports.com/mlb-attendance-hits-37-year-low/

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #6008 on: October 29, 2021, 11:04:35 PM »

According to a survey by Sports Business Journal, MLB's average fan age is 57, which is far higher than that of the National Basketball Association (NBA), National Football League (NFL), and National Hockey League (NHL), whose average ages are 42, 50 and 49 respectively.

Game is in trouble.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #6009 on: October 29, 2021, 11:09:05 PM »

Compared to 2019, the last full 162 game season, the 29 regional sports networks measured by Nielsen saw a drop of -12%. What is concerning for the league is all RSNs saw a drop compared to 2019, except for the Tigers (+40%), Padres (+71%), A

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6010 on: October 29, 2021, 11:38:31 PM »

Factor this in to the pitching over the next few days. MLB hates rainouts. They'll make them play.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Atlanta+GA?canonicalCityId=508c6a2d4ca8386de1772c4316073b1448fb270ee2d264d01c7b2a4b33073688

There's nothing in that weather forecast that should preclude their playing. Showers tomorrow night, not a deluge. And Saturday night has no rain in it.

EXACTLY the problem for the pitching staffs, josh. NO DELUGE. A deluge would allow a reset for the team's staffs, but those rain delays that are likely would cause more use/overuse of the BPs.

So, when I wrote that you should factor this in to the pitching over the next few days, I thought anyone with a modicum of understanding of what is really going on in this series would get that.

Apparently, you're not someone who knows what is really going on in this series.

Cold is the key.

50s, maybe even 40s all three days

10mph winds as well today and tomorrow

Advantage - BRAVES.  But wont be enough

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Atlanta+GA?canonicalCityId=508c6a2d4ca8386de1772c4316073b1448fb270ee2d264d01c7b2a4b33073688

Good game for the Braves!

And thank the gods that they managed to overcome those rain delays and that vicious wind.

The advantage to the Braves of the weather may not be enough, but better to be up 2-1 than down.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #6011 on: October 30, 2021, 01:34:02 AM »

https://www.mlb.com/news/red-sox-dismiss-first-base-coach-tom-goodwin

It's not about the vaccination issue, they explained.

Not that they had any other explanation...

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #6012 on: October 30, 2021, 07:51:54 AM »

Factor this in to the pitching over the next few days. MLB hates rainouts. They'll make them play.

There's nothing in that weather forecast that should preclude their playing. Showers tomorrow night, not a deluge. And Saturday night has no rain in it.

EXACTLY the problem for the pitching staffs, josh. NO DELUGE. A deluge would allow a reset for the team's staffs, but those rain delays that are likely would cause more use/overuse of the BPs.

So, when I wrote that you should factor this in to the pitching over the next few days, I thought anyone with a modicum of understanding of what is really going on in this series would get that.

Apparently, you're not someone who knows what is really going on in this series.

Cold is the key.

50s, maybe even 40s all three days

10mph winds as well today and tomorrow

Advantage - BRAVES.  But wont be enough

Good game for the Braves!

And thank the gods that they managed to overcome those rain delays and that vicious wind.

The advantage to the Braves of the weather may not be enough, but better to be up 2-1 than down.

The gods proved you're still a dick.

The weather WAS a factor.

Then again, youve never played baseball, so there's that.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6013 on: October 30, 2021, 08:46:20 AM »

Major League Baseball welcomed fans back into the stands in 2021, but attendance was at a generational low.

The league saw 45.3 million fans attend regular-season games in 2021, a 33.9% drop from the 68.5 million in 2019, and the lowest figure since 1984.

Certain caveats apply: Many teams only opened to full capacity by midseason, and the Toronto Blue Jays played at alternate sites until late July due to Canadian travel restrictions.

However, fans also watched fewer games from home.

https://frontofficesports.com/mlb-attendance-hits-37-year-low/
I am sure it is because of Colin Kaepernick, kneeling players and Black Lives Matter.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #6014 on: October 30, 2021, 08:54:26 AM »

Get a life, Kuntzler.
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 [401] 402 403 ... 469