login
Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
August 19, 2017, 06:28:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: World Series Winners (Game is Tue, @ 8pm, EDT)  (Voting closed: October 25, 2016, 11:37:58 PM)
Indians - 2 (50%)
Cubbies - 2 (50%)
Total Voters: 4

Pages: 1 ... 3309 3310 [3311] 3312 3313 ... 3404
  Print  
Author Topic: American League  (Read 1344947 times)
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #49650 on: May 19, 2017, 08:58:10 AM »

Good to see Bautista took his plunking like a man. Especially since he asked for it.

STFU: Me
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

- GET IN LINE -

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #49651 on: May 19, 2017, 06:46:12 PM »

You tend to get a lot of bullpen wins when you have great bats and you blow a lot of saves which they've done 8 times.  They also have the third worst bullpen ERA in basebalL, and are in serious discussions about having Matt Albers being their closer. Their strategy this year was obvious. They have great bats and great and deep starting pitching. Absent signing Jansen or Melancon or even trading for Robertson they were going to tough out the bullpen issues with journeymen and young guys with potential but who so far haven't prodced or have been hurt. It hasn't gone well (don't take my word for it, take Mike Rizzo's) but because of their bats and starting pitching and awful division they have been and will be fine and will win the division easily. Which is where we started when you took such great exception to my Single-A bullpen comment and felt duty-bound to try and prove me wrong to protect their bullpen's honor as men.

Bullpen ERA overstated stat

Check last night where a 10-4 game had a bunch given up by their pen guys. But game lost when the starter was in.

Late and close stats tell a better tale. We dont have those.

The team is 25-15 - and wouldnt be so if their late pen in close games guys were faltering heavily.

Dusty pulls the plug on Treinen off his combined stats, which was a ridiculous move - and media driven as well.  A better manager would have let Blake pitch through it.  Baker turned asset into mush.  Treinen - who has filthy stuff - may re-emerge elsewhere but never for Dusty
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 11:24:12 AM by kidcarter8 » Logged
Yankguy1
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #49652 on: May 19, 2017, 06:50:40 PM »

Alright Kid. You obviously know more than me. Their bullpen is fine. At some point it would be nice to read from you ,  "I might be wrong." Not holding my breath.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 06:53:08 PM by Yankguy1 » Logged

I'm going back to the border, woman, where I'm better known. You know you haven't done nothing,
drove a good man away from home.
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #49653 on: May 19, 2017, 07:29:20 PM »

C'mon, hold your breath.  Smiley

STFU: Me
bankshot1
Superhero Member

Hoosier Daddy!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49654 on: May 19, 2017, 08:02:42 PM »

Alright Kid. You obviously know more than me. Their bullpen is fine. At some point it would be nice to read from you ,  "I might be wrong." Not holding my breath.

Taking no position on the question: The Nats pen do they suck hard or hardest? I will let those who hold an opinion voice it, but I can say to the issue that yank raises kid does not easily admit he is wrong, or may be wrong, as when he is stunningly wrong as he on a frequent basis, he will pretend he never voiced that opinion, or change the argument.

But I might be wrong.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 08:27:32 PM by bankshot1 » Logged

"If I were you I'd be pretty pissed, too, but I don't think anyone but you and I know what actually went up there on the board last weekend. I know I stepped over the line, and I did apologize, but I apologize again. It has bothered me all week, frankly, to know that I acted in such a manner"-Utley
bankshot1
Superhero Member

Hoosier Daddy!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49655 on: May 19, 2017, 08:13:26 PM »

As we approach the the quarter mark, I must say I've been underwhelmed by the Sox.

Pre-season I thought they would hit for more power, with Panda and X and JBJ picking it up for Ortiz.

Panda has been hurt and can only be called a bust, X is hitting for average, but not so much productiom, and JBJ is streak/struggling

I thought the SP would be good, and had hoped Price Porcello and Sale would be  a solid top 3, Price has been a no-ahow, Porcello not the same aas last year, Sale as advertised, but better.

The BP, hit by the injuries to the late inning set-up guys, has been a disappointment, except for Kimbrel who has been amazing.

And the D, particularly at 3rd has been, eh,

Betts, X 10D, have generally been good, but X's lack of power is weird, and 10D after a scorching start, is in the midst of his first slump.

Be intersting to see him batltle it.

The Celts nice run has given them some cover, but that may soon end, and the Olde Towne Team will face greater scrutiny and have the Sports Page all for themselves, until Tom shows up for camp if its ok with Giselle.

Pleny of time left to right the Sox ship, but if the hi-light of the season is David Ortiz bobble-head/# retirement night, the season will suck.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 08:17:50 PM by bankshot1 » Logged

"If I were you I'd be pretty pissed, too, but I don't think anyone but you and I know what actually went up there on the board last weekend. I know I stepped over the line, and I did apologize, but I apologize again. It has bothered me all week, frankly, to know that I acted in such a manner"-Utley
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

- GET IN LINE -

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #49656 on: May 20, 2017, 11:27:00 AM »

Alright Kid. You obviously know more than me. Their bullpen is fine. At some point it would be nice to read from you ,  "I might be wrong." Not holding my breath.

Dont be a withering prune. It uplifts noone.

I was a bit surprised that Nats didnt add a closer in the off season

But I saw this as a nod to Treinen.  By the GM.  And of course ol' Dusty could not comply - and now has a little instability out there.

ROSS is a candidate to close if they chose to go that way.  He needs a better third pitch as a starter - not so much in relief.
Yankguy1
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #49657 on: May 20, 2017, 11:44:10 AM »

Treinen gets behind every batter. He wasn't close to being ready to being a closer for a good team. The Nats tried to add a closer but the owners like to pinch pennies. Which is why they wound up with Baker instead of Black.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 11:48:07 AM by Yankguy1 » Logged

I'm going back to the border, woman, where I'm better known. You know you haven't done nothing,
Hamilton the First
Superhero Member

"All the genius I know comes from hard work."--Me

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49658 on: May 22, 2017, 10:45:41 AM »

Yank was a better Yankees fan and Orioles fan before he became a Nats fan.

Just sayin'.

“Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---James Baldwin
Hamilton the First
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49659 on: May 22, 2017, 10:47:17 AM »

Here come da judge:

No truth to the rumor that the Yankees are ready to retire his number, yet, though they lead the world in retired numbers. In fact, they have retired so many numbers, that retiring a player's number has lost its meaning. Especially, in the Bronx.

“Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---James Baldwin
Yankguy1
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #49660 on: May 22, 2017, 11:01:42 AM »

Just sayin'.
What makes you think I'm a Nats' fan?  I talk about them because they're the only team in town down here and I don't have the dinero to watch the Yankees as much as I'd like to.

Hamilton the First
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49661 on: May 22, 2017, 11:01:58 AM »

The Phillies have lost 17 of 21. They have lost seven straight series for the first time since 2006.

It sure is a lot of fun being a Phanatic, these days.

Gosh, this reminds me of the Luchessi days....but then, I must also remember that after the Luchessi days the run-up to the first WC took place.

Hope is the great elixir which all baseball fans imbibe.

Make it a double! a triple! a home run! Please!!!

Hamilton the First
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49662 on: May 22, 2017, 11:05:03 AM »

Just sayin'.
What makes you think I'm a Nats' fan?  I talk about them because they're the only team in town down here and I don't have the dinero to watch the Yankees as much as I'd like to.

Patterns of posts, yank.

Um...ou used to chat up the Yanks. Then its was insight on the O's, from your geographical base.  Then you switched to the Nats, but only after they started winning.
Although, they win like the Capitals---until the play-offs. 

But hey, if you want to morph into something like kid's multiple-fan fora forays have shown, by all means, knock yourself out.
 Grin

Yankguy1
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #49663 on: May 22, 2017, 11:08:26 AM »

I still chat up the Yankees.  What do you want to know?  I actually can't stand the Nationals and the Orioles but will talk about either or both whenver the subject comes up.  

Hamilton the First
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49664 on: May 22, 2017, 11:19:52 AM »

I still chat up the Yankees.  What do you want to know?  I actually can't stand the Nationals and the Orioles but will talk about either or both whenver the subject comes up.  

Well, thanks for clarifying, Yank. I was starting to worry.

Your thoughts on Judge? ROY so far?

Pages: 1 ... 3309 3310 [3311] 3312 3313 ... 3404
  Print  

Jump to: