Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 282435 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2018, 06:22:56 PM »

I posted my reasons about why I thought Britton wasn't a great move and in so doing acknowledged the "keeping him from a competitor" argument was a compelling one. Feel free to go back to them. Oh. You can't? Tough shit. Troll.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 06:25:24 PM by Yankguy1 »
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2018, 06:25:30 PM »

Actually, you never did.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2018, 06:30:47 PM »

Actually, I guess we'll never know. Troll.
 Perhaps you can find it on my Twitter account.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 06:32:36 PM by Yankguy1 »
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2018, 06:32:36 PM »

You think Red Sox "needed" Eovaldi?  For what?

I am going on the premise that you did NOT think Yanks needed Britton (easy, since this is basically what you posted)

The 2 deals are identical, right down to the "we kept him from the opposition" stance.

I thought the Red Sox needed Eovaldi.

Didn't you?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2018, 06:34:24 PM »

Say what, Cash?

https://weei.radio.com/blogs/rob-bradford/red-sox-send-message-yankees-brian-cashman

White Sox, Astros, Twins, A's. Phils, Mariners all play Sox tougher this year than NY

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2018, 06:35:59 PM »

I will look

@onetitlesince00, right?

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2018, 06:38:58 PM »

How'd you guess?

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2018, 06:48:10 PM »

alittle bit of added drama

alls well that ends well.

Eovaldi was a stud.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2018, 06:55:09 PM »

I am going on the premise that you did NOT think Yanks needed Britton (easy, since this is basically what you posted)

The 2 deals are identical, right down to the "we kept him from the opposition" stance.

The deals were not identical.

Britton was an established star closer, Eovaldi more of a lottery ticket starter.

Sox got priced out of the reliever market but could pick-up an end of the rotation starter who might be moved to the pen, or allow someone (Pom) to be moved to the pen.

Britton had a deep market

No one else wanted Eovaldi, which is why the Sox could get him.

and fwiw when I put forth the Ys keeping Britton away from Sox/Astro's was a tangible benefit, a return response disagreed with me.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2018, 06:58:31 PM »

Say what, Cash?

https://weei.radio.com/blogs/rob-bradford/red-sox-send-message-yankees-brian-cashman

White Sox, Astros, Twins, A's. Phils, Mariners all play Sox tougher this year than NY

Cashman sounded like Rex Ryan crying about the Pats.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2018, 07:00:09 PM »

What I said was "while keeping a guy from another team" is always an argument and a compelling one, I prefer my to make trades based on what is needed and the Yankees didn't need to get a guy for whom the talent they gave up could have been used to get a guy they did need. But dammit, it's all on my Twitter page.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 07:03:40 PM by Yankguy1 »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2018, 07:03:54 PM »

I thought the Red Sox needed Eovaldi.

Didn't you?

It was obviously a great add.

What I thought isnt the issue

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2018, 07:06:09 PM »

What I said was "while keeping a guy from another team" is always an argument and a compelling one, I prefer my to make trades based on what is needed and the Yankees didn't need to get a guy for whom the talent they gave up could have been used to get a guy they did need.

I agree the Ys did not need Britton, they needed a starter, just like they did before the season started, so I assumed a part of Cashman's reasoning for acquiring a guy they did not need (Britton) and could afford, was to keep a needed asset from his competitors.

I do not recall you stating it was a compelling argument, but I do not possess perfect recall.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2018, 07:07:21 PM »

Closest I can come is Kid's complaining about the press being drawn to shit in their reporting about Josh Hamilton and your response to that.

I don't currently see anything archived from the AL forum later than 2012.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2018, 07:10:20 PM »

What I said was "while keeping a guy from another team" is always an argument and a compelling one, I prefer my to make trades based on what is needed and the Yankees didn't need to get a guy for whom the talent they gave up could have been used to get a guy they did need.

I agree the Ys did not need Britton, they needed a starter, just like they did before the season started, so I assumed a part of Cashman's reasoning for acquiring a guy they did not need (Britton) and could afford, was to keep a needed asset from his competitors.

I do not recall you stating it was a compelling argument, but I do not possess perfect recall.
I always acknowledge and reject that argument. I don't think any team is good enough and wise enough to focus on another team's needs at the expense of their own.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 469