Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 285676 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2018, 07:23:53 PM »

What I said was "while keeping a guy from another team" is always an argument and a compelling one, I prefer my to make trades based on what is needed and the Yankees didn't need to get a guy for whom the talent they gave up could have been used to get a guy they did need.

I agree the Ys did not need Britton, they needed a starter, just like they did before the season started, so I assumed a part of Cashman's reasoning for acquiring a guy they did not need (Britton) and could afford, was to keep a needed asset from his competitors.

I do not recall you stating it was a compelling argument, but I do not possess perfect recall.
I always acknowledge and reject that argument. I don't think any team is good enough and wise enough to focus on another team's needs at the expense of their own.
[/quote

Now I'm confused, you've said you found it a compelling argument and now one you reject.

But I agree focusing on your own team's needs, and addressing them is a simpler and more effective strategy than to try and out-maneuver what an oppponent may do.

But I also think Cashman feels he's playing chess while everyone else is playing with themselves.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2018, 07:31:05 PM »

Would you prefer I said "compelling, but ultimately rejected"?

Cashman has the touch of arrogance that all good GMs have to have.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2018, 07:35:31 PM »

I thought you rejected my opinion of Cashman's Machiavellian designs, right off the bat, which was why I was surprised today when you used the word "compelling".

NBD. 

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2018, 07:39:22 PM »

The compelling part of the argument is "look how good the Sox would be with Britton. We have to do something to stop it." The rejection is "let the Sox have him. Let's get what we need."
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2018, 07:42:48 PM »

YG feels one deal precludes another.  I disagree.

Dillon Tate may end up a big leaguer

But his 1.6 WHIP just 2 years ago might say to bet the other side.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2018, 07:45:04 PM »

The compelling part of the argument is "look how good the Sox would be with Britton. We have to do something to stop it." The rejection is "let the Sox have him. Let's get what we need."

if you accept some of that reasoning, and believe as you seem to believe that the Ys did not need Britton, but a starter, then Cashman's trading for Britton to lengthen an already deep BP but to also keep him from the Sox and Astro's does not seem a huge leap to accept. And its about impossible to tell which was a more important factor.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 07:47:01 PM by bankshot1 »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2018, 07:57:58 PM »

We were talking about and  Kid was trolling about why I didn't think the Yankees needed Britton and why if I were GM I wouldn't have gotten him. I have no idea why Cashman did it. Keeping the Red Sox and Astros from him likely played some role.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2018, 08:07:23 PM »

I think the Yankee wanted Britton to HAVE Britton.  To have another guy they can trust in the eighth inning and a better one v one lefty vs tough lefties down the stretch.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2018, 08:10:03 PM »

Indians-Angels on - and I can honestly say I have ZERO interest.   Funny.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2018, 08:10:46 PM »

And we're  back to the initial argument(s).

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2018, 08:21:25 PM »

Dude - the issue is your not thinking Yanks benefit from Britton

You have yet to make that case.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2018, 08:22:26 PM »

Then again....

we have to wait to see when Yanks actually have another lead for him to come in to.

heh

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2018, 08:24:32 PM »

Got some baseball people shaking their heads tonight at not relenting to Mets demands on Wheeler.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2018, 08:24:43 PM »

From MLB:
Eovaldi's first impression with his new team has been about as good as possible. He hasn't allowed a run over 15 innings in his first two starts for the Sox. The last time a starting pitcher was unscored upon in his first two starts for Boston? Vaughn Eshelman, who did it in 1995.

That's the late Vaughn Eshelman to you. He died on July 24th, 11 days ago, at age 49 - liver disease. He'd had a transplant in March, but never finished his recovery. His older brother and best friend, Kyle, died at age 40. That's a ton of young death for a family.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 469