Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 282200 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #120 on: August 08, 2018, 07:57:28 AM »

I see banks still can't read what was clearly written. But he can still easily overreact. What a hypersensitive twit.

And still no team had won the World Series in August.

Meanwhile, in the league where they still play the game the way it was intended, the Philly Utes earned another win, behind Nicky P.

Rubber game today.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 07:59:39 AM by MrUtley3 »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 08, 2018, 08:05:54 AM »

what was clearly written?

heh

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 08, 2018, 09:33:55 AM »

Thinnest skin on the fora. You really should get some professional help. Your displaced anger here is boring. And pathetic.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 08, 2018, 10:03:52 AM »

heh

troll you really should buy a speck of a clue and some security, as you are a clueless insecure asshole.

Josh gives an AL E update and you respond "1978"

And i post about 2 sentences about the '78 season from my perspective

and then you manufacture false narratives and accuse others of having agendas and thin-skins.

TFF

you're fucked up

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 08, 2018, 10:14:48 AM »

On Sunday, Kid, because he knows things, and  in yet another attempt to show me wrong for expressing my problems with the trade, noted what was just an okay inning pitched by Britton against the Red Sox with a rhetorical question as to who that pitcher was. 

Is Kid going to ask the same question this morning? 
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 08, 2018, 11:10:05 AM »

yank

I'm getting a sense of deja vue

not the best night for Kimbrel or Britton.

more concerned with Kimbrel

Sox BP is clearly their Achilles heel

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 08, 2018, 11:21:23 AM »

I think the Red Sox have a lot of very good arms in the bullpen and in the event of a total meltdown by Kimbrel they can find somebody else to handle that role.  I think the "traditional" closer role is probably the easiest role in baseball to fill on stop-gap basis. 
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 08, 2018, 11:33:56 AM »

They have a lot of guys who throw 95+, but very few who seem to deliver a clean 1-2-3 in late innings.

Last year Kimbrel was a lock, this year not so much. He's had problems with his breaking ball, making sitting on his heater a problem.

Barnes has been pretty decent but Joe Kelly, who was pretty good for the first couple of months, regressed.

They could use another dependable guy, as winning with late run offensive bail-out explosions is not the post-season model you want to count on.

I wonder if/when E-Rod comes back, he returns, at least for awhile as a BP guy, or maybe Eovaldi.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 08, 2018, 12:41:07 PM »

Disagree with YG

I find it puzzling Red Sox do not have a substituite closer on the roster - someone who has handled duties before (Thornburg does have 13 saves in his career, but thats it)

Eovaldi might be a candidate but appears to beneeded as 4th starter.

Matt Barnes the likely guy.  I like him, but thats an anything can happen scenario (could be quite good, could be a mess)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 08, 2018, 12:45:06 PM »

John Axford, a dreadful pitcher, had 46 saves one season.  Finding a closer shouldn't be that hard.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 08, 2018, 12:58:03 PM »

Yank-I'm not as confident that good closers are as readily available.

That the Ys have 3 closers may have skewed your opinion.

And it seems, barring injury or catastophre,  the sox have made their bed with Kimbrel, but they may have to bolster the pen with some other additions or sleight of hand.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 08, 2018, 01:15:16 PM »

I'm not sure I said that proven good closers are available, but rather guys become good closers out of a sense of desperation all the time. 

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 08, 2018, 01:39:30 PM »

John Axford, a dreadful pitcher, had 46 saves one season.  Finding a closer shouldn't be that hard.

Degrees, my friend...

Degrees.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 08, 2018, 02:16:40 PM »

I'm not sure I said that proven good closers are available, but rather guys become good closers out of a sense of desperation all the time.

I'm not sure that trial and error was a key component to Dave Dombrowski's pre-season approach to the '18 bullpen.

And I don't think the Sox are at desperation yet. Hopefully, from their perspective, they continue to get solid starts most nights, Kelly gets right, Barnes stays reasonably reliable, and whatever curveball funk has funked up Kimbrel is fixable. 

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 08, 2018, 02:34:40 PM »

I think Kimbrel will be fine, but if he's not I don't necessarily think it's cause for despair.   Remember in 2013 it took one closer's injury and a second's bout of ineffectiveness before the Sox lucked into Koji as a closer. 
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 469