Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 282186 times)

luee

• View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #780 on: October 11, 2018, 04:02:55 AM »

Yankees need starting pitchers badly. Probably worst staff of the contenders. No ace, Happ is probably a two. Severino bombed out in the second half.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #781 on: October 11, 2018, 09:32:54 AM »

Yankees need starting pitchers badly. Probably worst staff of the contenders. No ace, Happ is probably a two. Severino bombed out in the second half.

Yup .

It was argued at the time of the Stanton deal, that they still had to address their Achille's heel-the rotation.

Adding "Sox-killer" Happ, wasn't quite enough.

Maybe Shefield is the answer, but I suspect Cashman may spend time and money addressing the problem outside of their internal resources.

FA or trade, IDK. But hell do something

But they were also not a very good hitting team.

I know batting average is overlooked for other sexier SABRE stats, but they had a team BA of .249 the lowest of the play-off teams.

If they didn't hit HRs, which they were very good at, they had trouble scoring,

Unfortunately for the Sox, the Astros don't share that weakness.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #782 on: October 11, 2018, 12:41:04 PM »

Tanaka is the ace

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #783 on: October 11, 2018, 02:47:42 PM »

Wonder away.  Price's recent numbers va HOU say he's a good bet to fare well - and this was home AND away.

Nate appears to be a key - but this is the Astros, not the free swinging Yanks we are talking about.

I would have no problem with Price as a 2+ inning reliever for the duration

You are on the clock, ALEX.

Sale's career numbers against Houston are significantly better than Price's

not when you include postseason

It's true.

Sale still has an advantage,

2.54 ERA for Sale.
3.19 ERA for Price.

Combine that with Price's problems starting in the post-season and Sale starts under any circumstances. Honestly, Price's post-season record starting is bad enough for that conclusion regardless and I don't know what the hell you are thinking.

What am I thinking?

That Astros hit Sale and do not hit Price.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #784 on: October 11, 2018, 02:48:52 PM »

Thinking 2.54 is a bit off........

Adding 9 ER and 9 2/3 innings (last year vs Stros postseason) to the 54 regular season innings, you get..........

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #785 on: October 11, 2018, 05:37:14 PM »

18 ER in 32 innings overall since 2016.

Just 3 starts for Red Sox vs HOU (13 ER over 15+)

Shall we look at Price's recent work?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 06:05:03 PM by kiidcarter8 »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: October 11, 2018, 05:57:22 PM »

Thinking 2.54 is a bit off........

Adding 9 ER and 9 2/3 innings (last year vs Stros postseason) to the 54 regular season innings, you get..........

You're right about my being off - I had a typo.

But you're wrong about 9 ER and 9 2/3, as that includes the relief pitching. Similarly, counting the relief stint by Price is inappropriate.

So, not 2.54, but 2.63 for an ERA, including that post-season start.

You can do your own calculations anyway you want, Kiid, but what it seems to me you want to have it both ways - ignoring Price's post-season starts, while relying on his relief appearances for why he should start game 1 against the Astros.

I'd rather have Velasquez starting and Price in relief, tbh - or Wright - but it doesn't seem to be an option, let alone my call. Maybe Kelly!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #787 on: October 11, 2018, 06:11:53 PM »

Price

Quality start in Houston June 2

Quality (uber) start in Boston vs Hou Sept 7

12 1/3 innings
7 hits
3 BB
17 K
5 ER
3.66 ERA
0.81 WHIP
5.66 K/BB

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #788 on: October 11, 2018, 06:17:19 PM »

Looking closer at the 9/7 start - and I recall this since I needed the W for my fantasy team -

Price shuts out Astros at Fenway for 6 innings on 1 hit and 1 bb.

7th inning goes 2B, K, BB and Price is removed at 101 pitches.  The immortal Ryan Brasier allows the runners inherited to score.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #789 on: October 11, 2018, 06:48:11 PM »

Tanaka is the ace

12-6 with a 3.75 is not an ace. 14 pitchers with more wins including two twenty game winners in the A.L.. Tanaka is going on thirty and always injured lately.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #790 on: October 11, 2018, 06:53:19 PM »

As a Sox pither, vs Stros it is really not close. Price has been better in his 3 years than Sale in his 2.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: October 11, 2018, 07:09:56 PM »

18 ER in 32 innings overall since 2016.

Just 3 starts for Red Sox ns HOU (13 ER over 15+)

Shall we look at Price's recent work?59

Look at whatever you want, Kiid. I am certain you can find a rationalization that will fit your argument.

59 innings pitched as a starter in the post-season. 41 runs given up. 6.25 era. 0-9 record. 0-10 for his teams.
15.1 inninges pitched as a reliever in the post-season. 4 runs given up. 2.35 era. 2-0, with a save and a hold. 5-3 for his teams.

I don't want him starting in the post-season. I expressed that concern when we signed him. I have seen no reason to think anything has changed, especially with a cool pair of nights coming up. His ERA in April is generally the highest of the year, excepting starts in October in cooler weather.

This Sunday will be somewhere around 15 degrees cooler than his relief appearances last October.

Tingly fingers?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #792 on: October 11, 2018, 10:36:23 PM »

Ga'head - bet that ranch on HOU

I am not touching any bet vs a prideful Price this series.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: October 11, 2018, 11:18:44 PM »

Ga'head - bet that ranch on HOU

I am not touching any bet vs a prideful Price this series.

Yeah!!!!

He will be so much more prideful for this outing than he was for Game Two against the Yankees or Game Two against Cleveland or Game Two in the ALCS against KC.

Next, you could try, "He's due!" It is another of those arguments that gets trotted out as if there were substance to it.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: October 12, 2018, 03:56:19 PM »

Nor do his regular season starts against a team give us any reason for confidence in his post-season starts:

2010  and 2011 vs. Texas saw 2 runs/6 innings in a single regular season game each year. The post-seasons were 7 runs in 12.2 innings and 3 runs in 6.2 innings, his second best post-season start! But the 4.05 ERA for that game was still higher than any regular season ERA after 2009 and higher than any regular season against any of those teams he faced in the post-season until this year's Yankees.

2013, three regular season starts against the Red Sox. He faced them three times at Fenway, giving up 3 runs in 22.1 innings. Faced them twice in Tampa, with 6 runs in 10 innings.

In the post-season, he gave up 7 runs in 7 innings.

2014 is sort of the exception. He gave up 3 runs in 5 innings during the year, while surrendering only 2 runs in 8 innings. Just good enough to lose the game, but better than his regular season pitching.

2015 saw a return to form. Against Texas he gave up 5 runs in 7  innings in the ALDS vs. 2 runs in  6 innings during the season. Against KC in the ALCS, he surrendered 8 runs in 13.1 innings, vs. 1 run in 9 innings during the season

2016, more of the same. 5 runs in 3.1 innings in the ALDS. 2 runs in 6 innings in the regular season.

So, here we are in 2018. His ERA against the Uankees in the regular season was 10.34, a staggeringly high number over four starts!

Yet, his post-season start against them was, again, higher than his regular season ERA!

16.20 was the ERA for the game last week.

I would love to be wrong, Kiid, but neither his regular season performances against Houston nor his pride give anybody with the ability to read or calculate a reason to believe this start with somehow be good, let alone good enough to win.

If he comes out and pitches a game like he did against Baltimore in 2014, I will gladly eat my words. Perhaps we will see a Johnson-esque turnaround in his post-season proclivities. But I'm from Missouri.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 469