Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 285650 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #1095 on: October 29, 2018, 06:57:43 PM »

It was quite a series, despite the lopsidedness of it.

No, Banks, the Red Sox did not beat three 100-win teams, unless you count not only the post-season, but the Dodgers' win against them.

Stunning stat of the day, to me? "The Red Sox are the 13th team ever to post MLB's best record and then win the World Series."

Now, I understand that from '69 on that it has taken more than one round to make it into the playoffs, but before that there were more than 60 World Series and I would have thought that at least a quarter of the time, if not half the time, that the team with more wins would have won! But that seems not to have been the case.

And of course nobody watched it or cared outside the two participating cities. That must be why Fox won prime time for every night the World Series was being played, right?

Still, a 7th game pulls a ton more folks than a series ending with game 5. If the fix were in, then the series would have gone 7, but why let reality stand in the way of bad sport grousing?!

Of course, buying the championship must be it, not the fix! There's the ticket!

So what if the winners of the World Series over the last 4+ decades have been in the top 5 in payroll just over 50% of the time?!
https://www.surepayroll.com/resources/blog/do-giant-payrolls-win-world-series-titles

Fortunately, this is all old news to those who've been paying attention, rather than only caring selectively when they need to try to drag others down.

Boston Obsession Syndrome lives on in the heart of Utley. It's pretty funny to watch.

But not nearly as much fun to watch as the 2018 Red Sox have been.

I wonder what 2019 will bring!

p.s. thank you to the non-Boston (actual) baseball fans for your graciousness which stands in sharp contrast to the whiner from Philly.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: October 29, 2018, 07:07:51 PM »

Quick review.on Baseball-reference to as my over 30 pre-playoff times when the team with the best record won the.Series. And a handful of times when the teams had identical records. I suspect the stat was post 1969.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: October 29, 2018, 07:20:48 PM »

It was quite a series, despite the lopsidedness of it.

No, Banks, the Red Sox did not beat three 100-win teams, unless you count not only the post-season, but the Dodgers' win against them.

Stunning stat of the day, to me? "The Red Sox are the 13th team ever to post MLB's best record and then win the World Series."

Now, I understand that from '69 on that it has taken more than one round to make it into the playoffs, but before that there were more than 60 World Series and I would have thought that at least a quarter of the time, if not half the time, that the team with more wins would have won! But that seems not to have been the case.

And of course nobody watched it or cared outside the two participating cities. That must be why Fox won prime time for every night the World Series was being played, right?

Still, a 7th game pulls a ton more folks than a series ending with game 5. If the fix were in, then the series would have gone 7, but why let reality stand in the way of bad sport grousing?!

Of course, buying the championship must be it, not the fix! There's the ticket!

So what if the winners of the World Series over the last 4+ decades have been in the top 5 in payroll just over 50% of the time?!
https://www.surepayroll.com/resources/blog/do-giant-payrolls-win-world-series-titles

Fortunately, this is all old news to those who've been paying attention, rather than only caring selectively when they need to try to drag others down.

Boston Obsession Syndrome lives on in the heart of Utley. It's pretty funny to watch.

But not nearly as much fun to watch as the 2018 Red Sox have been.

I wonder what 2019 will bring!

p.s. thank you to the non-Boston (actual) baseball fans for your graciousness which stands in sharp contrast to the whiner from Philly.

Josh

As I suspect you understand, I included the Dodger's 8 post-season wins in their total, which would give them 100 wins for the season, and thus be perfectly consistwnt with my statement the Sox beat 3 100 win teams in the post-season to win the World Series.

Again I haven't checked but there can't be too many teams post-'69 who have done that.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: October 29, 2018, 07:29:02 PM »

Another interesting factoid, while the Sox had home field advantage through-out the post-season, 1) they did not need it 2) they played more games on the road ( 8 ) than they did at home (6), and 3) played better on the road 7-1, than they did at home going 4-2.

That is kind of amazing given how good the Ys, Astros and Dodgers were.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: October 29, 2018, 10:13:01 PM »

so Koach, or anyone with an opinion,

how would you generally rank  the '18 Sox season relative to other teams since '69, in terms of dominant seasons?

in the discussion, or a fluke to be iggied?

Meaningless discussion.

Then again, you're still getting your ass kicked, and gave yet to figure out why .

No one outside Beanfarttown gives a flying fuck.

Richie.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: October 29, 2018, 10:30:23 PM »

how would you generally rank  the '18 Sox season relative to other teams since '69, in terms of dominant seasons?

Meaningless discussion.

Then again, you're still getting your ass kicked, and gave yet to figure out why .

Richie.

Troll Seeing that you are ill equipped to participate in a conversation about baseball history, I understand why you feel threatened by it and labeled it "menaingless" However I supplied a link to an article and quote from the NY Times regarding the subject, if you want a primer on the topic, you might want to read it.

If not that's fine, as I've had other discussions on the subject elsewhere, so feel free to shit in your pants, drool uncontollably, and otherwise occupy your time as you generally do here.

No one expects you to conribute anything of value here.

SSDD
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 10:32:08 PM by bankshot1 »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: October 29, 2018, 11:11:55 PM »

It's a fluke until they do it again, but no reason to ignore them.

I think this has to be in the discussion because the playoffs/Series make it impossible to ignore. Had they gone the way of the Mariners' 116 win season or so many others of the top winning seasons, then you look and shrug, but they didn't.

The 7-1 road record through the post-season, which you already noted, is striking. Listening to the LA players and the national press, "going back to LA" was going to solve all the Dodgers' problems caused by the cold, just as going back to NY was going to fix things for the Yankees. (I don't remember hearing that about Houston.)

The success in the post season despite Chris Sale's relatively poor performances is another of the issues. The hitters against top pitcher after top pitcher, whether starter or reliever, with rare exceptions, stuck out - as did the team's success with several top hitters suddenly not producing.

Whatever the bumps were, the team dominated overall.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: October 29, 2018, 11:14:16 PM »

Well, at least the Dodgers brought the World Series to Los Angeles.

Congrats to the Red Sox.

Salute,

Tony V.

The series was more even than the 4-1 result would suggest.

And making it to the Series two years in a row is hard!

Good season for the Dodgers and it would not surprise me to see them back again in 2019.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: October 29, 2018, 11:49:32 PM »

https://www.mlb.com/news/2018-red-sox-stack-up-to-1998-yankees/c-299967748

The argument in favor of the 1998 Yankees as the best of the era is hard to counter, IMO.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: October 29, 2018, 11:51:43 PM »

Whether they can do it again, IMO might not be the measure of  historic "greatness".

The Sox have won the AL East 3 years in a row, so they had a base of "very good" in place. This year with a team record 108 reg season wins, brought it to  another level, while the post-season domination, layered another still. There just aren't that many teams in the play-off era that have had this type of dominating season. But what really set it apart was the dominant post-season, against 3 very strong teams, 

As you noted the Mariners with the record 116 wins crapped out against the Yankees, but we have the '98 Yankees wih 114 wins and a dominating post-sseason, the '75-76 Reds (76 in particular, the Reds were undefeated in the post-season), the '70 Orioles (who only one 1 WS, and could have won 3). The '86 Mets (108 wins) are there, but their post-season was not really dominant (picking nits).

In any case, there are just a small handful of teams since '69, almost 50 years, that have had type of season as the Sox did this year.

And fwiw I love to see them do it again.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: October 30, 2018, 12:01:26 AM »

https://www.mlb.com/news/2018-red-sox-stack-up-to-1998-yankees/c-299967748

The argument in favor of the 1998 Yankees as the best of the era is hard to counter, IMO.

Its about impossible to comp different era teams, but the '70 O's might have been better than either.

But as the article concludes the Sox historic greatness and inclusion among greatest baseball tems is undeniable,

except of course for an idiotic pathetic troll who knows shit from shinola about the game or its history.

heh
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 12:03:04 AM by bankshot1 »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: October 30, 2018, 09:14:15 AM »

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: October 30, 2018, 11:49:08 AM »

Meaningless discussion.

Richie.

Troll Seeing that you are ill equipped to participate in a conversation about baseball history, I understand why you feel threatened by it and labeled it "menaingless" However I supplied a link to an article and quote from the NY Times regarding the subject, if you want a primer on the topic, you might want to read it.

If not that's fine, as I've had other discussions on the subject elsewhere, so feel free to shit in your pants, drool uncontollably, and otherwise occupy your time as you generally do here.

No one expects you to conribute anything of value here.

SSDD

Sorry, Richie. You're still losing.

Worst baseball season ever. Homers and Ks, horrible officiating, and snoozeball in between. Attendance down a commish committed to ensuring highest payrolls win, and a guy whose in morality is in question, in an era of sports betting being legalized, and a sport whose leaders now think all it needs is rule changes.

It's a meaningless and hollow victory in a downwardly spiraling era of the game.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: October 30, 2018, 11:59:52 AM »

World Series sucked: The fifth and deciding game of the World Series delivered big numbers Sunday for Fox, but the series as a whole was the least-watched in several years.

The Boston Red Sox' victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers recorded a 12.3 rating in metered-market households, easily the best of the series thus far. It was down slightly, however, from Game 5 in 2017 (12.8), as has been the case for the prior four games. It averaged 17.64 million viewers for the network, off about 7 percent from a year ago.

This year's World Series, despite featuring teams from two top-10 media markets, was the least-watched since 2014, averaging 14.33 million viewers. That's down 23 percent year over year and ahead of only the 2014 (13.93 million over five games) and 2012 World Series (12.64 million) this decade.

Per Hollywood Reporter
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 469