Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 282234 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #1440 on: February 11, 2019, 09:43:24 PM »

So, how about this:

Utley thinks the NL East might be the most competitive division in MLB.

He thinks because it is the most competitive, that makes it "the best," though he was careful to say other people thought it, rather than claiming it for himself.

He's arguing that four 9-7 NFL teams would be the best division in football, because they were the most competitive, rather than one with two 12-4 teams, one 10-6 team, and one 2-14 team.

It's an argument.

I suspect any of the fans of the 9-7 teams would trade spots with the 12-4 teams in a heartbeat, and competition be damned.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: February 11, 2019, 11:08:24 PM »

You do understand the difference between a division vs am individual team, don't you, Master of Arts in Education?

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: February 11, 2019, 11:15:50 PM »

You do understand the difference between a division vs am individual team, don't you, Master of Arts in Education?

Do you agree that by your seeming definition, the division with the four 9-7 teams would be "the best?"

And your assumption of what I have for a degree is hilarious.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: February 12, 2019, 06:30:20 AM »

Which are the 120 win baseball teams?

NL East 4 teams (rounded off) at 90-70

AL East has 2 teams 120-40 and then Tampa wins 100?

Heh.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: February 12, 2019, 08:25:43 AM »

I am reminded of the scene in Right Ho Jeeves where Bertie suggests, to give the abstemious Gussie Fink-Nottle the courage to ask the Bassett to marry him, they spike his orange juice with whiskey. Or, since they are English and not my droid, whisky. Jeeves objects, noting the time a family member gave alcohol to a parrot, which immediately flew about the room, causing havoc and panic. Bertie spots the flaw in Jeeves's logic immediately: Gussie is not a parrot.

Some people are just incapable of understanding the concept of analogy.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: February 12, 2019, 10:14:05 AM »

Which are the 120 win baseball teams?

NL East 4 teams (rounded off) at 90-70

AL East has 2 teams 120-40 and then Tampa wins 100?

Heh.

kid-I have no idea what the point  you are trying to make.

I would note that the Rays, with 90 wins last year, and 18 games behind the Sox in the ALE, would have tied the Braves for the NLE last year.

To their credit, they seem to usually get a lot from a little.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: February 12, 2019, 03:29:36 PM »

You're not that dumb

Your 12-4 bit is whack.  10-6 would have worked.  2 teams 10-6 = 2 teams 102-60 in baseball

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: February 12, 2019, 03:35:43 PM »

An analogy is not supposed to be a direct mathematical comparison, any more than Gussie is supposed to be a parrot. The winning percentage of a dominant football team and a dominant baseball team are different, but the point is the dominance.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: February 12, 2019, 06:37:43 PM »

But if you can easily make it match up - YES - simple intelligence would say that you would

12-4 = 120-40

This one was beyond easy for Bankie

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: February 12, 2019, 07:14:44 PM »

You're not that dumb

Your 12-4 bit is whack.  10-6 would have worked.  2 teams 10-6 = 2 teams 102-60 in baseball

They weren't his, Kiiid.

They were mine.

And yes, I understand that 10-6 would have worked, but... you act like that matters and it doesn't.

We had
Kansas City 12-4
San Dieago 12-4
Denver        6-10
Oakland      4-12

And that, too, would have worked, but I picked the version I picked. It doesn't need to parallel the MLB percentages to still make a good fit. After all, 9-7 is a 91 win team! I didn't have the gradation of 8.3-7.7 for an NFL season, the equivalent of the 84 win 4th place team that some site or another presented for Utley to dig up for his claim of "best" for the NL East division.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: February 12, 2019, 07:23:31 PM »

But if you can easily make it match up - YES - simple intelligence would say that you would

12-4 = 120-40

This one was beyond easy for Bankie

kid

I understood your math equation, but I was surprised you equated the relative ease of a good NFL team playing .750 ball (12-4) or better, (4 teams did it this year) and the near impossibility of an MLB team winning at that level. To my knowledge it has never been done.  Your attempt to define relative success in the NFL and MLB by equating the winning % was misplaced at best, as history has given us enough examples from which to learn and draw proper conclusions.

I'm almost surprised you were ignorant of that fact.

lets just say you swung and missed and struck-out,

Or you were strip sacked, and it was returned for TD?

you decide.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: February 13, 2019, 09:59:02 AM »

I think all 4 NL East teams beat Tampa in a series and all 4 give Yanks and Sox a good run.

If you want to say

AL East has 2 best of the ten (overall NL and AL East), thats fine.

1 - Sox/Yanks
s - Yanks/Sox
3 - Nats
4 - Phils
5 - Mets
6 - Braves
7 - Rays
8 - O's/Jays/Marlins
9 - O's/Jays/Marlins
10 - O's/Jays/Marlins

I wont quibble.

But I also think playing the other 3 NL East teams so many times each year makes it difficult to reach for 95-100 wins.  If they play dead even....... that's 27 or so losses right there.  Yanks and Sox likely lose about 6 or 8 too Tampa and 9 to the other - which is 15 or 17 (difference of 10).

Conclusion - the separation between a 100 win Yanks team and a 90 win Nats is not really what it seems.  Yanks much closer to all 4 top NL East teams than the average fan would suspect.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: February 13, 2019, 10:12:29 AM »

I agree with Kid and I also think that if Harper returns to the Nats (which I think is going to happen) they're better than the Yankees and perhaps the Red Sox' equal. 
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: February 13, 2019, 10:32:42 AM »

Well the oddsmakers have the Rays winning the same 84 1/2 games (ex-Nats) in arguably a tougher league.

My guess is the Rays v NLE is pretty much 50/50 in home/away series.

And before calling near "parity" between the Ys and the NL E, you've got to assume pretty big leap in NLE performance across the board. I assume Ys win 55-60% of the games played

In general Sox/Ys have feasted in ILP and both their schedules are weighted towards the NLE.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:35:14 AM by bankshot1 »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: February 13, 2019, 10:51:05 AM »

The NL East played the AL East last season. They were net -12 against them, with 3 of the teams having losing records.

Every team in the NL East had a losing record against the NL West. The division as a whole had a slightly losing record against the NL Central.

I do understand that you expect the NLE to be stronger in 2019 - it certainly won't hurt their overall record to be playing the AL Central! I think you are overly optimistic about their burgeoning strength.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 469