Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Olympics  (Read 4136 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Olympics
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2021, 02:11:57 PM »

Now THIS was absolutely insane

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/karsten-warholm-400m-hurdles-tokyo-olumpics_n_6108fdc4e4b038cedb3761d0

American shatters world record, settles for silver

Nice job by NBC building up the prerace story line.  That is one flying Norwegian.

All of the top 3 finishers beat the record established in 1992 (and only exceeded by Warholm on July 1st).

Yes, it was an amazing race.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2021, 12:57:00 AM »

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/karsten-warholm-400m-hurdles-tokyo-olumpics_n_6108fdc4e4b038cedb3761d0

Nice job by NBC building up the prerace story line.  That is one flying Norwegian.

All of the top 3 finishers beat the record established in 1992 (and only exceeded by Warholm on July 1st).

In both men's and women's 400 hurdles, gold and silver both beat the previous world record, and the bromze ran the 4tb fastest time in history. Weird. And wonderful.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2021, 10:07:27 AM »

Both quit on their teams. Both put self before others.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2021, 10:09:35 AM »

It is what can happen when two elite greats push each other.

And neither one quits.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2021, 10:10:16 AM »

In both men's and women's 400 hurdles, gold and silver both beat the previous world record, and the bromze ran the 4tb fastest time in history. Weird. And wonderful.

Sydney McLaughlin, 22, and a true Jersey girl.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2021, 11:04:58 AM »

And neither one quits.

Still waiting to hear of your international competition experiences.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2021, 11:15:19 AM »

And neither one quits.

Still waiting to hear of your international competition experiences.
He's the Reigning Elba Asshole of the Year. Does that count?
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2021, 12:30:59 PM »

Yep

Syd McLaughlin (GO, Jersey!) gold in same event - womens side, with silver medalist Muhhamed pushing very similar.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2021, 12:39:37 PM »

Yep

Syd McLaughlin (GO, Jersey!) gold in same event - womens side, with silver medalist Muhhamed pushing very similar.
I noted the similarities between the two 400 hurdles earlier, including that in both races the bronze medalist ran the 4th fastest time in history.

Meanwhile, what the hell is with the US track men? So far the closest we've come to a gold is the Italian 100 winner being born in El Paso.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2021, 01:11:35 PM »

I noted the similarities between the two 400 hurdles earlier, including that in both races the bronze medalist ran the 4th fastest time in history.

Thanks

I apologize for skimming.  Seldom do that with your posts.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2021, 01:32:09 PM »

Thanks

I apologize for skimming.  Seldom do that with your posts.
NP. I got to cite an amazing bit of trivia a second time!

Holly Martins

« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2021, 01:54:36 PM »

As a Norwegian-American (partly),  I was so excited by Warholm's performance that I tore a small hole in my teeshirt.   I mean,  there was kind of a hole starting there already,  where deodorant and sweat eat away the fibers,  but then I jumped up and lustily expanded it a couple centimeters at least.   

Roaming around fjords all day makes people very strong.   And eating lutfisk,  which is a fish that marinates for days in lye until it transforms into a disgusting gelatinous mass.   You'd run fast and jump obstacles,  too,  if that appeared on the dinner table.   

kidcarter8

• View Profile
GOLD
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2021, 01:32:38 PM »

USA!!!!!!!

By one.

Awesome.

(Thanks, Jade Carey.  Thanks, US Women's Volleyball)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 01:34:11 PM by kidcarter8 »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7