Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What will be the outcome of Russia's invasion of Ukraine?

Russia will gain eastern Ukraine territories and hold them, as it has Crimea
- 5 (45.5%)
Russia will temporarily gain eastern Ukraine territories before being forced out of them
- 2 (18.2%)
Efforts to confront the Russian forces and get them out of Ukraine will lead to Putin's escalating and attacking NATO countries directly with missiles or other destructive measures
- 0 (0%)
The NATO/World response will be so mild that Putin will go ahead and take the rest of Ukraine
- 3 (27.3%)
Today Ukraine, tomorrow Moldova and who knows where else
- 1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: March 01, 2022, 01:18:43 PM

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 144

Author Topic: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine  (Read 42986 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Russia's Invasion of Ukraine
« on: February 24, 2022, 01:18:43 PM »

As Putin prepped and then launched the Russian invasion of Ukraine, many top conservatives (a) rushed to his defense and (b) blamed Biden for it.

But whether, as the GOP would have it, this only happened because of Biden's weakness, or this only happened because of GOP coddling of and support for Putin, it has happened.

The truth of the matter is that it shouldn't matter whether our president is strong or weak or our opposition party is encouraging and complicit or supportive of the occupant of the White House. The person responsible for this invasion is Vladimir Putin, would-be President-for-Life of Russia.

What do you think should be our response at this point and what, if anything, should the NATO response be?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 01:24:08 PM »

The "ayes" have it.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 01:38:13 PM »

https://www.politico.com/minutes/congress/02-24-2022/3-gop-responses-on-ukraine/

The bulk of the responses are anti-Putin, but that doesn't mean they are mostly prepared to blast Trump for his support.

One group of the GOP is practicing what used to be standard operating procedure in such situations - criticizing the bad guy (Putin) and not playing politics with it at home. The other two groups are split between 'anti-Putin, 'anti-Biden' vs. anti-Biden,' pro-Putin.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2022, 01:55:01 PM »

"I will do everything in my power to alleviate the pain Americans are feeling at the gas pump."

No.   You won't.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2022, 02:05:52 PM »

"Let's have a conversation in a month or so and see if the sanctions are working."

Wow.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 02:08:21 PM by kidcarter8 »
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2022, 02:12:36 PM »

We need to make he Ukraine strong like Israel. If Putin wants war, then the Ukraine must quickly end any idea of war being easy for Russia. The Ukraine must defeat Russia quickly like in the 6 Day War. And kill Putin. If Putin goes for a full on war, then we need to kill Putin.

And I stand by my earlier statements about bringing in the Elders from around the world to help with this crisis, including Berlusconi, Juan Carlos, and Lech Walesa.

Bring in the Elders, and the Ukraine needs to be strong like Israel.

For the people from the Ukraine who are migrating to the USA for safety, if they want cheap land to build on then I recommend Battle Mountain, Nevada, where land is only one thousand dollars per acre. Nevada is cheap, and Nevada is safe. And there is a college in Elko.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2022, 02:35:32 PM »

I had a roommate in Malibu who was the daughter of a general in China, she loved Malibu. We agreed that it is important for the armies to be controlled by wise men of peace. I hope that China will stand with the USA and with the rest of the world for peace between Russia and the Ukraine.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2022, 02:44:58 PM »

"Let's have a conversation in a month or so and see if the sanctions are working."

Wow.

What would you do, Kid, in his situation?

carlos123

• so cute
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2022, 04:01:25 PM »

Wow.

I was afraid this forum would get immediately colonized by Chamaco, and that's exactly what happened.

He really is like horse shit!
"I am your warrior and, if you feel you have been wronged or betrayed, I am your retribution, oh yes, your retribution."
- Putin's bitch at CPAC 2023

"Those Hispanics are funny, and they speak really funny"
- Bo Zizzley&Chip Stern

- Prayers for Chamaco Cartero -

- BAN THE AR15-
- Chamaco Cartero

Holly Martins

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2022, 04:32:52 PM »

I think the attacks around Chernobyl are an example of what is called Madman strategy. In his 1962 book, Thinking About the Unthinkable, futurist Herman Kahn argued that to act a little crazy might be an effective way to induce an adversary to stand down.  Putin appears to be off the rails right now, and getting Ukraine to think he might punch a hole in Chernobyl's cement encasement and dust the countryside with radioactivity might be part of his terror and fear playbook. 

Holly Martins

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2022, 04:40:05 PM »

Wow.

I was afraid this forum would get immediately colonized by Chamaco, and that's exactly what happened.

He really is like horse shit!

Kid's all about hot takes, not informed comment.  And if one has neither evidence nor knowledge, then it's pretty much gonna be horseshit.  For one thing, simplistic approaches don't always fare well when it's a nation with lots of nuclear warheads.  Defusing Putin's Angry Grievance Brain will be much less simple than defusing a warhead.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2022, 05:46:08 PM »

Senator Catherine Cortez Masto

1 hour

Putins decision to launch a violent, unprovoked attack on Ukraine must be met with crushing sanctions and a strong, unified response from the United States and our allies.

I stand with the Ukrainian people. Russia made a grave mistake and will be held accountable.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2022, 06:01:31 PM »

Death, treason, and sorrow are on the march...

Once Putin takes the path of war then there is no turning back, and he will not be able to trust anyone, anyone could walk in and shoot him dead at any time, his future will be like all of the other evil dictators who invade other nations.

There is no honor among thieves. And it can be as simple as poison in Putin's morning coffee.

https://youtu.be/2NnXQpikxyk

And as much as Berlusconi can be a good friend, then so too can Berlusconi be a fierce enemy for Putin.

Once Putin takes the path of tragedy, then there is no happy ending.

Salute,

Tony V.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2022, 06:26:02 PM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 144