Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What will be the outcome of Russia's invasion of Ukraine?

Russia will gain eastern Ukraine territories and hold them, as it has Crimea
- 5 (45.5%)
Russia will temporarily gain eastern Ukraine territories before being forced out of them
- 2 (18.2%)
Efforts to confront the Russian forces and get them out of Ukraine will lead to Putin's escalating and attacking NATO countries directly with missiles or other destructive measures
- 0 (0%)
The NATO/World response will be so mild that Putin will go ahead and take the rest of Ukraine
- 3 (27.3%)
Today Ukraine, tomorrow Moldova and who knows where else
- 1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: March 01, 2022, 01:18:43 PM

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 145

Author Topic: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine  (Read 43557 times)

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
Re: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine
« Reply #165 on: March 01, 2022, 03:05:10 PM »

We need to constantly send our message to the people of Russia by way of Rock and Roll radio in Russia and by any means possible. Like in Cuba we want for the people to have access to the web in the hopes that we can help them to move towards democracy. We need to communicate with the good people of Russia, and we need to organize a movement in Russia to remove Putin. And we can have people of peace constantly sending our message to the people of Russia.

And the United Nations is designed to prevent World War 3, we need to keep pounding away at the UN putting together our coalition, etc. And we need to all come to agreement that Putin is a war criminal who is not worthy of any support.

We need to turn the entire world against Putin, and we need to turn the people of Russia against Putin.

Salute,

Tony V.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 01, 2022, 03:06:45 PM »

Frightening how a blood thirsty madman can still take complete control of a modern democracy.

Simple really...it's happening because the West is doing nothing, just allowing it to happen.
Ye olde:  "evil flourishes when good men do nothing."
Well good men are doing nothing, too scared to upset the blood thirsty madman.
Of course, the whole Russian regime is doing it, not just the madman.
Europe obviously learnt absolutely nothing from WW11 and Hitler.
Hitler is back, Europe got conned again.

Trump said it true:  "Putiin is smart, but it's not that Putin is smart, it's that our (West) leaders are dumb".
Truer words have never been spoken.

Sky News said it true:

WEST IGNORED THE RISE OF CHINA AND RUSSIA.
CLIMATE CHANGE FOLLY SANK THE WEST (Para...something like that).
Yes, West was busy beating itself up over climate change instead of arming itself.
Only having one country (USA) armed to the teeth was total folly.
Relying on the blood thirsty madman's oil and gas was unbelievable folly.
ScoMo and Australia are not the enemies, but they're the ones the West attacks all the time..."burning too much coal", "not doing enough for women and women's rights"...etc etc etc.
Russia and China are the enemies, the ones threatening and doing war! But the West loves them, Russia is the Chair of the UN, the blood thirsty madman and his regime are ruling the world.  LOL
China, vice President of the world, has everyone tied a up and handcuffed with trade. The dumb West fell for its tempting charms.

Too late for Ukraine and its people. Russia...Putin is only one man...is now bombing Ukraine to bits, soon there'll be nothing left but rubble...no buildings left and no people left alive.
All the dumb West basically does is watch on saying "oh dear, isn't that terrible".

Trump is 100% correct...dumb dumb dumb is the West.
Finland borders Russia, next to it are Norway and Sweden, what defences do they have, these "best countries in the world"?
Any oil rigs, any coal mines, any gas mines...how much are they paying the US for their security?

Very good for the most part. I would add American corporations who are in bed with China and continue to be in bed with them like AT&T and many many others are just as much to blame.
Really? Except for the bolded line in the middle about Russia and China being the enemy, that whole screed is typical of bambus paranoid white male idiocy that most of us do not bother to address anymore. Beginning with the idea that combating climate change has anything to do with the Ukraine invasion and up through his apparent misunderstanding of how NATO operates and who is in it.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Holly Martins

« Reply #167 on: March 01, 2022, 03:11:48 PM »

"Vladimir Putin has killed Swedish neutrality and German pacifism in a single weekend."

Samuel Ramani

Also, Swiss banks are freezing identified Russian assets. Swiss Banks! Biden's careful approach rebuilding our alliances, managed intelligence releases and measured pace on sanctions has at least brought all of Europe along.

Missed the SOTU last night, but I hope Biden sold his careful and unflashy statesmanship somewhere in there.

Great sound bite from Mr Ramani, whoever he is.  I guess you could add killed the meaning of "Swiss bank account" too.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 01, 2022, 03:46:49 PM »

"Vladimir Putin has killed Swedish neutrality and German pacifism in a single weekend."

Samuel Ramani

Also, Swiss banks are freezing identified Russian assets. Swiss Banks! Biden's careful approach rebuilding our alliances, managed intelligence releases and measured pace on sanctions has at least brought all of Europe along.

Missed the SOTU last night, but I hope Biden sold his careful and unflashy statesmanship somewhere in there.

Great sound bite from Mr Ramani, whoever he is.  I guess you could add killed the meaning of "Swiss bank account" too.
The STFU is tonight, I thought.

And THAT, my friends is the single most Elba autocorrect of all times.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 01, 2022, 03:51:52 PM »

An authoritarian kleptocracy, run by a mob spouting incoherent racists mysoginistic, anti-gay, and pseudo-religious paranoid rhetoric to cover their actions while everything under their influence decays. One law for the rich, another for the poor enforced by an endless stream of violence.

Not hyperbole, not even a wee bit.

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/2022/2/28/2083065/-White-nationalists-flaunt-their-traction-within-Republican-Party-at-annual-gathering-in-Florida

" the inevitable result of republican style solutions anywhere in the world."

Yes, hyperbole.

Maybe if you add in that the country has a far bigger army than the other guys next door, but even then I am skeptical. Brazil is not invading the countries next to it, for example.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 01, 2022, 04:04:33 PM »

We need to constantly send our message to the people of Russia by way of Rock and Roll radio in Russia and by any means possible. Like in Cuba we want for the people to have access to the web in the hopes that we can help them to move towards democracy. We need to communicate with the good people of Russia, and we need to organize a movement in Russia to remove Putin. And we can have people of peace constantly sending our message to the people of Russia.

And the United Nations is designed to prevent World War 3, we need to keep pounding away at the UN putting together our coalition, etc. And we need to all come to agreement that Putin is a war criminal who is not worthy of any support.

We need to turn the entire world against Putin, and we need to turn the people of Russia against Putin.

When I was in the Soviet Union in 1973, I got to talk with a lot of people in open spaces without our Intourist guide around.

While I met plenty of folks who were friendly and some who talked openly about the negatives of their country, I also encountered folks like the elderly woman in Moscow who spat at us, drank some soda water from a near by machine, then came back and spit at us again. That contrasts with the elderly woman in (then) Leningrad who gave me her scarf, in lieu of a kippah, so I could enter a Jewish temple.

Just as there are people in the United States who will blame whomever is president for ills, if they are in the other party, there are individuals who will blame the United States, not Putin, for any ills their country suffers or belligerent actions their country is "forced" to take.

American rock music was available to be listened to for those who were so inclined. And, at least through this morning, there is independent television being broadcast by non-state folks - sending messages more straightforward than the state-run media.

Your faith that they can be swayed should be just do a better job of broadcasting rock and roll is... worthy of a bigger miracle than anything Christ is alleged to have done.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 01, 2022, 04:06:00 PM »

Frightening how a blood thirsty madman can still take complete control of a modern democracy.

Simple really...it's happening because the West is doing nothing, just allowing it to happen.

Trump said it true:  "Putiin is smart, but it's not that Putin is smart, it's that our (West) leaders are dumb".

Sky News said it true:

Yes, West was busy beating itself up over climate change instead of arming itself.
ScoMo and Australia are not the enemies, but they're the ones the West attacks all the time..."burning too much coal", "not doing enough for women and women's rights"...etc etc etc.
Russia and China are the enemies, the ones threatening and doing war! But the West loves them, Russia is the Chair of the UN, the blood thirsty madman and his regime are ruling the world.  LOL
China, vice President of the world, has everyone tied a up and handcuffed with trade. The dumb West fell for its tempting charms.

Too late for Ukraine and its people. Russia...Putin is only one man...is now bombing Ukraine to bits, soon there'll be nothing left but rubble...no buildings left and no people left alive.
All the dumb West basically does is watch on saying "oh dear, isn't that terrible".

Finland borders Russia, next to it are Norway and Sweden, what defences do they have, these "best countries in the world"?
Any oil rigs, any coal mines, any gas mines...how much are they paying the US for their security?

Very good for the most part. I would add American corporations who are in bed with China and continue to be in bed with them like AT&T and many many others are just as much to blame.
Really? Except for the bolded line in the middle about Russia and China being the enemy, that whole screed is typical of bambus paranoid white male idiocy that most of us do not bother to address anymore. Beginning with the idea that combating climate change has anything to do with the Ukraine invasion and up through his apparent misunderstanding of how NATO operates and who is in it.

It's now 7.50am in bambuworld.
I just switched on my tv to see bombs exploding in Ukraine every 2 seconds.
Absolute bombardment of civilian housing apartment buildings.
France just bobbed its head up and spoke a few "oh dear that's terrible" type words then bobbed back down, no French ships bombing Moscow though.
And saw the 1 in 1000 year flood event in Qld and NSW...hundreds of thousands of homes flooded, people dead in their homes...people being rescued by army choppers, SES boats, and anyone and everyone with a boat.
The Sydney dam is starting to overflow, big trouble.
Floods been happening long before climate change was invented, just not this bad in modern times.
Defence Minister Peter Dutton explained about Ukraine, Russia blowing up Ukraine with overwhelming force.
We can see what we're in for when China invades us.
No Harvard degree needed to see that Trump and Sky News are absolutely correct.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 04:27:37 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 01, 2022, 04:12:18 PM »

Sky News said it true:

It's now 7.50am in bambuworld.
I just switched on my tv to see bombs exploding in Ukraine every 2 seconds.
and the 1 in 1000 year flood event in Qld and NSW...hundreds of thousands of homes flooded, people dead in their homes...people being rescued by army choppers, SES boats, and anyone and everyone with a boat.
The Sydney dam is starting to overflow, big trouble.
Defence Minister Peter Dutton explained about Ukraine, Russia blowing up Ukraine with overwhelming force.
We can see what we're in for when China invades us.
No Harvard degree needed to see that Trump and Sky News are absolutely correct.
You are not getting nukes no matter what you say.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 01, 2022, 04:14:21 PM »

An authoritarian kleptocracy, run by a mob spouting incoherent racists mysoginistic, anti-gay, and pseudo-religious paranoid rhetoric to cover their actions while everything under their influence decays. One law for the rich, another for the poor enforced by an endless stream of violence.

Not hyperbole, not even a wee bit.

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/2022/2/28/2083065/-White-nationalists-flaunt-their-traction-within-Republican-Party-at-annual-gathering-in-Florida

" the inevitable result of republican style solutions anywhere in the world."

Yes, hyperbole.

Maybe if you add in that the country has a far bigger army than the other guys next door, but even then I am skeptical. Brazil is not invading the countries next to it, for example.

Do we have to make a table of the date on which Putin enacted domestically in Russia each one of the eleven points in Rick Scotts plan for his republican led future?

Actually, that might be a pretty useful graphic to have available for the midterms.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 01, 2022, 04:36:57 PM »

Aussie was going to get nukes long ago, Prime Minister Gorton...but he was rolled at the federal election by the...wait for it......LEFT.

The "everyone in the world is a lovely person" LEFT.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 04:38:56 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 01, 2022, 04:47:02 PM »

Sweden and Finland are not in NATO...bye bye, same as Ukraine.

https://www.nato.int/nato-welcome/index.html
Go woke, go broke.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 01, 2022, 05:27:17 PM »

Look both ways before crossing a flooded street, Bambi. Blokes your age are simply getting swept away.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 01, 2022, 06:19:15 PM »

Look both ways before crossing a flooded street, Bambi. Blokes your age are simply getting swept away.

I might be old, .....(officially I'm classed as 'elderly', but I don't feel or look elderly in my opinion, but see how quickly I whip out my "elder-abuse" card if I feel discriminated against in any way :) ).....but not so old I'd try to cross or drive thru floodwater.
I'm a scaredy cat, remember.
"Water on street/road" is on my scared list.

Go woke, go broke.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #178 on: March 01, 2022, 06:41:45 PM »

Probably not popular but a differing view than the standard Western knee-jerk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq4k8bBx2Pc

The attack on residential neighborhood in Kharkiv today somewhat undermines his thesis that Russia has no intent to harm Ukrainian noncombatants or hurt the country.  Those were not shells going astray.  The footage is unambiguous.  As for simply assuming that we accept the rhetorical use of "knee-jerk" to dismiss western journalists who work in dangerous war zones, sorry, that's just sophistry.  You need evidence.  Especially when a proven ruthless dictator and murderous thug starts firing rockets and dropping bombs on major population centers and its captured by hundreds of thousands of cellphone cameras. 

In countries where almost everyone has a smartphone and some ability to upload, it's a lot harder to hide destruction and murder of civilians.

Yes, it shows that the Russians are losing their patience. But it doesn't negate the restraint the Russians had displayed up until this incident. As it was inevitable that this would happen at some point. War is an ugly thing.  I pray it doesn't escalate and it is only an isolated incident by overzealous Russian commanders whose soldiers are dying. Because Russian soldiers are dying so eventually they will up the ante. All because the west wants to subjugate Russia as they've been wanting to since the end of WWII. American desire for hegemony over the world exists even though the western media never admit that. That's why we are at odds with countries like Russia and China. The cold war never ended my friend, it goes on.

Ummm... ok.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 145