Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What will be the outcome of Russia's invasion of Ukraine?

Russia will gain eastern Ukraine territories and hold them, as it has Crimea
- 5 (45.5%)
Russia will temporarily gain eastern Ukraine territories before being forced out of them
- 2 (18.2%)
Efforts to confront the Russian forces and get them out of Ukraine will lead to Putin's escalating and attacking NATO countries directly with missiles or other destructive measures
- 0 (0%)
The NATO/World response will be so mild that Putin will go ahead and take the rest of Ukraine
- 3 (27.3%)
Today Ukraine, tomorrow Moldova and who knows where else
- 1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: March 01, 2022, 01:18:43 PM

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 145

Author Topic: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine  (Read 43553 times)

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
Re: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine
« Reply #180 on: March 01, 2022, 07:07:21 PM »

All because the west wants to subjugate Russia as they've been wanting to since the end of WWII.
Russia invaded a sovereign nation that did not threaten it at all. You are aware of that, right?

Of course it threatened them. You also show a degree of naivety that I didn't expect. The problem that western people have is they can't see the reverse picture. Once before this happened when the Soviet Union tried to place missiles in Cuba in response to NATO putting missiles right in Russia's underbelly in Turkey. The world almost destroyed itself then. Had Russia been pressing to possibly put missiles in Canada the American people would go crazy. We, as always, think our shit doesn't stink. We went into Afghanistan because "we wanted to", same with fake reason we went into Iraq. But again, our shit doesn't stink. Ukraine threatened Russia way more than Afghanistan or Iraq ever threatened us.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 01, 2022, 07:12:19 PM »

We need to constantly send our message to the people of Russia by way of Rock and Roll radio in Russia and by any means possible. Like in Cuba we want for the people to have access to the web in the hopes that we can help them to move towards democracy. We need to communicate with the good people of Russia, and we need to organize a movement in Russia to remove Putin. And we can have people of peace constantly sending our message to the people of Russia.

And the United Nations is designed to prevent World War 3, we need to keep pounding away at the UN putting together our coalition, etc. And we need to all come to agreement that Putin is a war criminal who is not worthy of any support.

We need to turn the entire world against Putin, and we need to turn the people of Russia against Putin.

When I was in the Soviet Union in 1973, I got to talk with a lot of people in open spaces without our Intourist guide around.

While I met plenty of folks who were friendly and some who talked openly about the negatives of their country, I also encountered folks like the elderly woman in Moscow who spat at us, drank some soda water from a near by machine, then came back and spit at us again. That contrasts with the elderly woman in (then) Leningrad who gave me her scarf, in lieu of a kippah, so I could enter a Jewish temple.

Just as there are people in the United States who will blame whomever is president for ills, if they are in the other party, there are individuals who will blame the United States, not Putin, for any ills their country suffers or belligerent actions their country is "forced" to take.

American rock music was available to be listened to for those who were so inclined. And, at least through this morning, there is independent television being broadcast by non-state folks - sending messages more straightforward than the state-run media.

Your faith that they can be swayed should be just do a better job of broadcasting rock and roll is... worthy of a bigger miracle than anything Christ is alleged to have done.

I'm probably closer to people in Russia than most here. Believe me the vast majority of them right now don't hold a warm place in their hearts for America.   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #182 on: March 01, 2022, 07:38:13 PM »

"Vladimir Putin has killed Swedish neutrality and German pacifism in a single weekend."

Samuel Ramani

Also, Swiss banks are freezing identified Russian assets. Swiss Banks! Biden's careful approach rebuilding our alliances, managed intelligence releases and measured pace on sanctions has at least brought all of Europe along.

Missed the SOTU last night, but I hope Biden sold his careful and unflashy statesmanship somewhere in there.

Great sound bite from Mr Ramani, whoever he is.  I guess you could add killed the meaning of "Swiss bank account" too.
The STFU is tonight, I thought.

And THAT, my friends is the single most Elba autocorrect of all times.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 01, 2022, 07:47:07 PM »

The Western fake news media machine does what it does, feeds out bullshit. And western people, for the most part, lap it up.

But the reality is this:

https://www.unseenopp.com/kiev-will-fall-soon-heres-what-that-means-for-stocks/

...Tilting sentiment today were satellite images that showed a convoy of Russian military vehicles en route to Kiev, the Ukrainian capital. This came as a bit of a surprise to some, as the mainstream media had spent last weekend fawning over Ukraine

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 01, 2022, 08:13:54 PM »

What would have happened if Britain and France bombed the crap out of the Nazis early. Rewrite history save the civilians.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 01, 2022, 08:32:01 PM »

https://indianexpress.com/article/world/china-us-eu-sanctions-russia-normal-trade-moscow-7795173/

China opposes US, EU sanctions against Russia; says will carry out normal trade with Moscow

#####

Time to impose sanctions on China, some are saying.
Go woke, go broke.

Holly Martins

« Reply #186 on: March 01, 2022, 08:37:51 PM »

"Vladimir Putin has killed Swedish neutrality and German pacifism in a single weekend."

Samuel Ramani

Also, Swiss banks are freezing identified Russian assets. Swiss Banks! Biden's careful approach rebuilding our alliances, managed intelligence releases and measured pace on sanctions has at least brought all of Europe along.

Missed the SOTU last night, but I hope Biden sold his careful and unflashy statesmanship somewhere in there.

Great sound bite from Mr Ramani, whoever he is.  I guess you could add killed the meaning of "Swiss bank account" too.
The STFU is tonight, I thought.

And THAT, my friends is the single most Elba autocorrect of all times.

X>)

Holly Martins

« Reply #187 on: March 01, 2022, 08:56:59 PM »

How else can you feel?! Young boys are thrown like cannon fodder, and most importantly for what?! For palaces in Gelendzhik?   

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/27/ukrainian-officials-upload-videos-of-captured-russian-soldiers-on-telegram

BTW, I will respond to assertions that western media are some monolith of fake news, as soon as evidence is provided.   Specify what is fake, state the source, show me your factcheck from a reputable independent factchecking organization (or a primary source), and I will take that specfic allegation of fakery seriously.  As for "some guy on YouTube said this," that's scraping the bottom of the barrel, so far as credibility is concerned.  Might as well SOTU.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 02, 2022, 01:38:17 AM »

What would have happened if Britain and France bombed the crap out of the Nazis early. Rewrite history save the civilians.

What would have happened is that you would have changed history years before that.

They did not have the ability to bomb the crap out of the Nazis early. What year would you choose for them to start arming themselves? (While you are thinking, remember that the world was still in a depression when the mess started growing.)
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 02, 2022, 07:34:20 AM »

How else can you feel?! Young boys are thrown like cannon fodder, and most importantly for what?! For palaces in Gelendzhik?   

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/27/ukrainian-officials-upload-videos-of-captured-russian-soldiers-on-telegram

BTW, I will respond to assertions that western media are some monolith of fake news, as soon as evidence is provided.   Specify what is fake, state the source, show me your factcheck from a reputable independent factchecking organization (or a primary source), and I will take that specfic allegation of fakery seriously.  As for "some guy on YouTube said this," that's scraping the bottom of the barrel, so far as credibility is concerned.  Might as well SOTU.

https://southfront.org/war-in-ukraine-day-6-russia-changed-tactics-and-succeeded-huge-casualties-and-humanitarian-disaster-video-18/

We in the West have no clue to what is actually happening because our media is keeping it from us. Both sides lie, but the West has their population trained Pavlovian dog style.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 07:39:55 AM by CaptainCargo »

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 02, 2022, 07:56:22 AM »

All because the west wants to subjugate Russia as they've been wanting to since the end of WWII.
Russia invaded a sovereign nation that did not threaten it at all. You are aware of that, right?

Of course it threatened them. You also show a degree of naivety that I didn't expect. The problem that western people have is they can't see the reverse picture. Once before this happened when the Soviet Union tried to place missiles in Cuba in response to NATO putting missiles right in Russia's underbelly in Turkey. The world almost destroyed itself then. Had Russia been pressing to possibly put missiles in Canada the American people would go crazy. We, as always, think our shit doesn't stink. We went into Afghanistan because "we wanted to", same with fake reason we went into Iraq. But again, our shit doesn't stink. Ukraine threatened Russia way more than Afghanistan or Iraq ever threatened us.
How did Ukraine threaten Russia, other than act as a sovereign nation seeking its own self interest? They never threatened mitary action or any other aggressive action. Like Poland or the Baltic states among other former.Soviet republics and satellites before them, they were interested in joining NATO for.reasons that are all too obvious right now, but that is the right of any sovereign nation. As are stronger economic ties with the west - after all Russia was a G-8 nation until it chose to invade a neighbor.

Ukraine is a non-nuclear state. They went from having the fourth most nuclear weapons to zero because they entered into a treaty where they destroyed them in exchange for a guarantee of non-agression from US and Russia.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 02, 2022, 08:02:15 AM »

How did Ukraine threaten Russia, other than act as a sovereign nation seeking its own self interest? They never threatened mitary action or any other aggressive action. Like Poland or the Baltic states among other former.Soviet republics and satellites before them, they were interested in joining NATO for.reasons that are all too obvious right now, but that is the right of any sovereign nation. As are stronger economic ties with the west - after all Russia was a G-8 nation until it chose to invade a neighbor.

Ukraine is a non-nuclear state. They went from having the fourth most nuclear weapons to zero because they entered into a treaty where they destroyed them in exchange for a guarantee of non-agression from US and Russia.

This fight has been going on since 2012 and even earlier. You just don't know what you are talking about Steve. Russians were being murdered year after year. We in the West are clueless to the real truth of what has been taking place in Ukraine for years. The West's media has become our one true religion.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 02, 2022, 08:03:22 AM »

Rather than giving them Czechoslovakia. During the phony war when the Nazis marched into Poland almost unopposed, most similar. The superior Russian Slavs VS inferior Ukraine Slavs, what is Putin doing? What press is that? Switzerland, Norway, etc. normally neutral all opposed. China, N. Korea with no free press love him.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 145