Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What will be the outcome of Russia's invasion of Ukraine?

Russia will gain eastern Ukraine territories and hold them, as it has Crimea
- 5 (45.5%)
Russia will temporarily gain eastern Ukraine territories before being forced out of them
- 2 (18.2%)
Efforts to confront the Russian forces and get them out of Ukraine will lead to Putin's escalating and attacking NATO countries directly with missiles or other destructive measures
- 0 (0%)
The NATO/World response will be so mild that Putin will go ahead and take the rest of Ukraine
- 3 (27.3%)
Today Ukraine, tomorrow Moldova and who knows where else
- 1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: March 01, 2022, 01:18:43 PM

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 145

Author Topic: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine  (Read 43577 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine
« Reply #630 on: March 25, 2022, 02:25:52 PM »

One can hope.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #631 on: March 25, 2022, 07:31:30 PM »

On the issue of food for the refugees...

Cheese. They can cut off a chunk of cheese whenever they get hungry.

Chef Boyardee canned foods, including beef raviolis.

https://www.chefboyardee.com/

And also Kellogg's Pop Tarts.

https://www.kelloggs.com

And Kool Aid for the children.

https://www.koolaid.com/

And wine for the adults. ( They are saying no alcohol in a time of war, but I think the people need alcohol more during a time of war. I would let the people drink wine. )

And lots of bottled water.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: March 25, 2022, 08:00:04 PM »

The refugees also need coffee, they will need instant coffee that is easy to make with just hot tap water if that is all they have...

Nescafe is the best instant coffee, and they are already established in Europe and in Eastern Europe...

https://www.nestle.com/brands/coffee/nescafe

Nestle is going along with the world on sanctions on Russia now, and the refugees can benefit from Nestle products.

Salute,

Tony V.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: March 25, 2022, 09:50:37 PM »

Thank goodness for March madness and the Peacocks. A slight respite from the blood and gore in the Ukraine.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 26, 2022, 12:27:32 AM »

Ivanka Trump

17 hours

Over the last few days, we have delivered 1 million meals to Ukrainians in Kyiv, Lviv, and Sumy.

Thank you to the Pastors, Rabbis and truck drivers who are risking their lives to bring this food to those in need. With these meals, we hope to provide a small source of comfort and nourishment for Ukrainians who are suffering so unjustly from Russia's invasion of their country.

To the people of Ukraine - you are in our hearts, you are in our prayers, and your courage in the face of violence and hardship is an inspiration. God bless you in your heroic fight to defend your country and your freedom.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 26, 2022, 12:39:01 AM »

Thank goodness for March madness and the Peacocks. A slight respite from the blood and gore in the Ukraine.

Not to the people of Ukraine.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 26, 2022, 04:10:37 AM »

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 26, 2022, 04:32:14 AM »

Skimming through the last couple of pages, I was amused by the idea of Putin invading Poland now.  The Russkie army is having trouble enough with poor scrappy Ukraine.  Poland has an army of 200K and is a NATO member (which besides the alliance guarantee requires fairly good training standards).

Putin reportedly has been scrounging around for extra troops just to contend with Ukraine.  Latest rumor is transferring troops form Georgia, who at least have some frontline experience.  Has the attempt to draw in Syrian mercenaries amounted to anything? ($300/month isn't much to be put on the front line in a poorly run effort).  Not sure if all of the Chechens have returned to the Caucasus. 

A conundrum for NATO would be if Russia rolled its army into one of the Baltic countries, which it could overwhelm and take over in a very short timeframe.  Does NATO really start a conventional war with nuclear Russia to reclaim Latvia? 

Otherwise Tony's Boyardee fixation is unusual.  I was surprised to learn that Chef Boyardee was a real person, who dumbed down the spelling of his surname to help Americans pronounce it.  I thought he was a fictional sales rep such as Betty Crocker, Aunt Jemima or Ronald Reagan ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 26, 2022, 09:22:45 AM »

The Russian army "struggles" reported could be propaganda, Bo.  I would be careful.

The " do we start a nuclear war" sentiment remains the issue. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 09:24:29 AM by kiidcarter8 »

Holly Martins

« Reply #639 on: March 26, 2022, 10:09:06 AM »

There needs to be skepticism for Herman Kahn's escalation ladder.  The notion of some judicious battlefield use of tactical nukes needs to be put down.  Especially where there is this huge asymmetry between Putin's view of appropriate use and NATO's.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #640 on: March 26, 2022, 10:13:29 AM »

I should have guessed that kiid had one foot in the Putin camp.  While no doubt hedging so as not to seem too much of a Putin apologist.  Probably believes NATO caused the war. Forced Vlad to go on a killing spree.

In case you missed it, the Biden Admin has had great intel and has been broadcasting Putin's next move before he can act on his decisions.  Most notably that an invasion was coming and roughly when.  I even assume that Biden's supposed faux pas about lesser sanctioning for a minor incursion was trying to get Putin to choose a smaller (Donbass) instead of a full invasion, when Putin had decided to attack but was weighing the extent.

Recently, the Biden Admin has been warning repeatedly about the possible Russian use of chemical weapons.  Partly because the Russkies are already laying denial groundwork by claiming that Ukraine is preparing to use chemical weapons, along with some unverified intel that a sarin antidote is being delivered to some frontline Russian troops.  Biden is upping the ante and making it harder for Russia to use chemical warfare and get away with it.  This also plays into the war crimes rhetoric.

One consequence of all this is that Putin is more paranoid and isolated than before, distracted by trying to root out the leaker and/or mole, and how to stop the high-level US surveillance capability.  Already the defense minister, a close Putin chum, has disappeared.  A few FSB folks have been placed under house arrest.  Reshuffling your top echelon during a war isn't "propaganda."  Plenty of info has been confirmed, such as the dead Russian generals (5, likely 6 now), including the one whose corpse was captured by the Ukrainians and broadcast on TV.

The US has intercepted plenty of Russian military communications and knows what is going on, probably better than many Russian soldiers.  And no doubt passing plenty of useful intel through to the Ukrainians.  Plenty of evidence Russian army has been awful, including turning the Ukrainian highway into a tank parking lot for weeks.
Biden Admin has done a terrific job of messing with Putin via the unusual strategy of releasing usually classified military intel quickly.

I know kiid has severe trouble with specifics, but I'd like to hear what he considers propaganda in relation to the Ukraine War.

Actually I just popped in to share the political cartoon, since this forum got me back into political cartoons, mainly Josh.  I could care less what kiid's response is.

PS Impeach Clarence Thomas
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: March 26, 2022, 11:14:41 AM »

The Russian army "struggles" reported could be propaganda, Bo.  I would be careful.

More pro-Russian propaganda from Kid.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Holly Martins

« Reply #642 on: March 26, 2022, 11:57:03 AM »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #643 on: March 26, 2022, 11:58:47 AM »

.MSNBC in.particular is keeping a somewhat inaccurate scorebook.  Gary Cohen would be appalled.

Holly Martins

« Reply #644 on: March 26, 2022, 12:35:11 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 145