Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What will be the outcome of Russia's invasion of Ukraine?

Russia will gain eastern Ukraine territories and hold them, as it has Crimea
- 5 (45.5%)
Russia will temporarily gain eastern Ukraine territories before being forced out of them
- 2 (18.2%)
Efforts to confront the Russian forces and get them out of Ukraine will lead to Putin's escalating and attacking NATO countries directly with missiles or other destructive measures
- 0 (0%)
The NATO/World response will be so mild that Putin will go ahead and take the rest of Ukraine
- 3 (27.3%)
Today Ukraine, tomorrow Moldova and who knows where else
- 1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: March 01, 2022, 01:18:43 PM

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 145

Author Topic: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine  (Read 43396 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine
« Reply #660 on: March 28, 2022, 01:00:54 PM »

"There is a world of difference between "if Hitler were killed two years earlier than he killed himself" and "If WWII ended two years earlier..." Your assumptions of what would have happened had Hitler been assassinated are asinine."

As are yours...

I have offered no assumptions about what would have happened other than that somebody else would have taken over.

What's asinine about that? This ought to be good.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 07:32:14 PM by josh »
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: March 28, 2022, 01:02:10 PM »

https://apnorc.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Russia-March-Topline-1.pdf

Poll results.

I get the sense that the polled would (a) like us to be tougher on Russia and (b) like us to not get into a war with Russia.

Good luck finding the balance point between those!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: March 28, 2022, 01:25:04 PM »

I think we are doing it.

At the time I wanted us to send Reapers, but the suicide drone tech actually makes more sense along with the other material being sent in. Less infrastructure and less tech at risk if one iOS captured.

Also the controversial and strategic statement he made about Putin strengthens the negotiating position of Ukraine at talks this week.

This level of intervention is giving You Ukraine a real chance of beating Russia on the ground and driving them into full retreat, if they can even manage one.

That said, more actions that can shorten the war and reduce the bloodshed without creating a Russian win are very welcome.

It is a major advantage that we have good people and not republicans leading the efforts.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #663 on: March 28, 2022, 03:57:19 PM »

Actually there were 6 recorded attempts to assassinate Hitler,all messy and incompetent. The killer camps kept rolling, along with the daily round-ups and shootemups. Not counting military casualties.

Someone should have learned from history. So what is the counter argument, he should not be subject to attack because he is a leader. Hiis replacement might be worse. He will get mad and destroy humanity?

I find the statement about the Nazis finding a human being worse than Hiter is hilarius.

Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: March 28, 2022, 05:09:15 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/28/politics/biden-putin-ukraine-russia/index.html

Biden reasserts his statement, but explains that it is not the country's policy.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #665 on: March 28, 2022, 05:17:16 PM »

".........help Ukraine where we can"

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: March 28, 2022, 06:08:53 PM »

Actually there were 6 recorded attempts to assassinate Hitler,all messy and incompetent. The killer camps kept rolling, along with the daily round-ups and shootemups. Not counting military casualties.

Someone should have learned from history. So what is the counter argument, he should not be subject to attack because he is a leader. Hiis replacement might be worse. He will get mad and destroy humanity?

I find the statement about the Nazis finding a human being worse than Hiter is hilarius.
How about we supply the moral authority for someone to go after our President?
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Holly Martins

« Reply #667 on: March 28, 2022, 06:50:57 PM »

Someone should have learned from history. So what is the counter argument, he should not be subject to attack because he is a leader. His replacement might be worse. He will get mad and destroy humanity?

Reinhard Heydrich, Herman Goering, Heinrich Himmler, Josef Goebbels. Just for starters.  Though, monstrous as Heydrich was, he was not available after June 1942. 

Holly Martins

« Reply #668 on: March 28, 2022, 06:53:20 PM »

And, no big surprise, umlauts also cause posts to truncate themselves.  Had to use the old-school version of Goering to get it to post.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #669 on: March 28, 2022, 07:35:34 PM »

Adolf Hitler's cult of personality was a prominent feature of Nazi Germany (1933-1945)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler%27s_cult_of_personality

Putin?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 07:38:39 PM by luee »
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: March 28, 2022, 07:36:39 PM »

And, no big surprise, umlauts also cause posts to truncate themselves.  Had to use the old-school version of Goering to get it to post.

Hmm...

Holly Martins

« Reply #671 on: March 28, 2022, 08:17:34 PM »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #672 on: March 28, 2022, 08:20:00 PM »

I think we are doing it.

At the time I wanted us to send Reapers, but the suicide drone tech actually makes more sense along with the other material being sent in. Less infrastructure and less tech at risk if one iOS captured.

Also the controversial and strategic statement he made about Putin strengthens the negotiating position of Ukraine at talks this week.

This level of intervention is giving You Ukraine a real chance of beating Russia on the ground and driving them into full retreat, if they can even manage one.

That said, more actions that can shorten the war and reduce the bloodshed without creating a Russian win are very welcome.

It is a major advantage that we have good people and not republicans leading the efforts.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #673 on: March 28, 2022, 08:27:02 PM »

No one had to be worse than Hitler because if he had been assassinated in April 1943 he would have gone at the top of his game and would have been considered a martyr and that much closer to God than he was in flesh.

Then the professional Nazi officer corps would have waged a different campaign and not made the colossal and almost inexplicable fuck ups Hitler made from late 1943 on.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: March 28, 2022, 08:48:55 PM »

I am more concerned about dealing with his offspring like Vlad, donald, Cotton, DeSantis, Kemp, and Uncle Thomas.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 145