Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What will be the outcome of Russia's invasion of Ukraine?

Russia will gain eastern Ukraine territories and hold them, as it has Crimea
- 5 (45.5%)
Russia will temporarily gain eastern Ukraine territories before being forced out of them
- 2 (18.2%)
Efforts to confront the Russian forces and get them out of Ukraine will lead to Putin's escalating and attacking NATO countries directly with missiles or other destructive measures
- 0 (0%)
The NATO/World response will be so mild that Putin will go ahead and take the rest of Ukraine
- 3 (27.3%)
Today Ukraine, tomorrow Moldova and who knows where else
- 1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: March 01, 2022, 01:18:43 PM

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 145

Author Topic: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine  (Read 43502 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine
« Reply #1275 on: June 13, 2022, 12:20:16 PM »

Are we winning ?  Get those batterries sent over yet, Joe?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1276 on: June 13, 2022, 02:43:20 PM »

Are we winning ?  Get those batterries sent over yet, Joe?

heh

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F-93OFjzQNI
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Holly Martins

« Reply #1277 on: June 18, 2022, 03:19:32 PM »

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-covid-politics-health-middle-east-58bb99da6bf9fc6af5a5a645022bc4d7

This might also relate (due to potassium and phosphate shortages for fertilizer) to the peecycling article posted yesterday in Science thread. 

Weird that railways in Ukraine use different gauge tracks.  Should have been standardized ages ago. 

Africa and Mideast may have to look into other carbs to substitute, which is a challenge where certain food customs are deeply (didn't see this pun coming) ingrained.  There are many things flour can be made from, if production can be ramped up - cattails, almonds, tapioca (cassava root), sorghum, millet, etc. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: June 18, 2022, 08:39:05 PM »

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-covid-politics-health-middle-east-58bb99da6bf9fc6af5a5a645022bc4d7

This might also relate (due to potassium and phosphate shortages for fertilizer) to the peecycling article posted yesterday in Science thread. 

Weird that railways in Ukraine use different gauge tracks.  Should have been standardized ages ago. 

Replacing the entire railway system would have taken money they didn't have - and they had been doing more trade with Russia, which was not going to make it easier for the West to attack them, so changing gauge rail roads to match the West was just not going to happen.

Being on the border of then-USSR (Ukraine SSR) and then-Czechoslovakia (Czechia) at 2am and getting off your train so the bodies of each car can be craned off one set of wheels and set down on the other was surreal.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Holly Martins

« Reply #1279 on: June 19, 2022, 11:33:17 AM »

Makes sense.  Thanks for the IRL experience of changing gauges in that part of the world.  All the more surreal, if you were a sleeping passenger when they woke you up to do that.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: June 19, 2022, 09:47:08 PM »

Makes sense.  Thanks for the IRL experience of changing gauges in that part of the world.  All the more surreal, if you were a sleeping passenger when they woke you up to do that.

Which I would have been, except the Soviet train folks triple-sold our seats.

At the border, hungry and wanting food, I tried to ask about buying some - but of course, we had been required to get rid of our Soviet money at boarding and unable to purchase Czech money. And the guards insisted they could not speak Russian, only Serbo-Croatian, while we understood every single thing they said and could tell that they understood us, as well.

I don't think I needed it to be more surreal. (And unbeknownst to me, it would reach that higher level of surreal a few days later, on the train from Prague (Praha) to Copenhagen (K
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: June 20, 2022, 01:43:33 AM »

https://www.grid.news/story/global/2022/06/14/a-russian-journalist-asked-his-former-classmates-about-the-ukraine-war-the-answers-were-disturbing/

I only find the answers disturbing to the degree that it feels the same to me as asking questions of much of the GOP does.

There is an absolutism to go along with the attacks on any sources of information that disagree with theirs and the attacks on "gay parades" as justification for their actions.

There are no surprises in what they say - the first respondent's position is clear before he gets past referring to Ukrainians by a slur. The "must support my country, even if it is wrong" position is familiar, too.

Mind you, that last position only holds so long as they are afraid of losing their positions of privilege that are tied to this government and economy.

Oh, well.

Thanks for the link.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: June 26, 2022, 08:22:25 AM »

Slowly but surely Ukraine is dying...as Russia takes another city.
Sad really.
Putin must be in fits of laughter knowing that everyone is running scared of him and his nuke threats.
Yes, he's just bombing Ukraine into submission and retreat...the West has been shown to have been neutralised by Putin.
Now China knows all it has to do is threaten to use nukes and it 'll be able to invade Taiwan, Australia etc, without censure.
Go woke, go broke.

Holly Martins

« Reply #1286 on: June 26, 2022, 01:08:49 PM »

Thanks again, Kid!

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1287 on: June 28, 2022, 03:26:36 PM »

Turkey lifts veto on Sweden and Finland joining NATO.

Putin wanted to weaken NATO...

How do you day I FUCKED UP in Russian?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: June 28, 2022, 05:18:06 PM »

Turkey lifts veto on Sweden and Finland joining NATO.

Putin wanted to weaken NATO...

How do you day I FUCKED UP in Russian?

The details: https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-nato-biden-turkey-madrid-0441ed4a13ea31aad5df316572f082bf
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Holly Martins

« Reply #1289 on: June 28, 2022, 05:39:38 PM »

Thanks.  I wondered if the Russian shopping mall attack gave the Turks a little nudge to the signing table, but looks like they were already there with getting their other requests. 
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 145