Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 535

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 113090 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
News in General
« on: May 20, 2022, 05:52:22 PM »

https://www.sfgate.com/local/article/new-problem-at-SF-sinking-tower-17179301.php

The Millennium Tower's been sinking for years. The attempted fix has run into a problem and it is exacerbating a tilt that the building already had!

Values of homes in the building have dropped sharply by as much as half.

The intended fix seems to have been making thing worse.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 06:33:46 PM »

The foundation is so important.

Here in Anaheim as we buy old motels to build housing for the homeless, then we need to bull-doze the motels and build high luxury towers with a swimming pool and club house on the roof, the bottom floors can be for the poor people, and the top floors can be for the rich people. We need to build luxury towers on Beach Blvd where the motels are, and also we need luxury towers in the Platinum Triangle. As we build, we need to knock down the old cheap stuff, and build luxury high rises to house our people.

And in Battle Mountain, Nevada, I would build high density apartments like in Santorini, Greece, complete with swimming pools and tennis courts.

And I am sure there are ways to save a sinking building, but it is always wise to start with a good foundation to begin with.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 07:12:29 PM »

In Battle Mountain, Nevada, while you are drinking your coffee and while you are watching the morning news on television, on the news they tell you about all the prices for cattle and for pigs and all of the farm stuff, and also about the gold, etc, it is all different with the morning news in Los Angeles, in Los Angeles we have beautiful women who tell us about crime, and about local news and events.

You would think that Los Angeles would have more news about the Entertainment Industry and about Industry jobs and Industry happenings, etc, but it is just the same old stuff about rising crime, and about the drought, etc. Hollywood is an industry town, we need to have the hard core facts about the Entertainment Industry in Hollywood the same way that Battle Mountain, Nevada, has the facts about livestock and gold.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 07:46:45 PM »

In Hollywood the morning news should tell you what every studio is doing, and we should all know the names of every studio boss, we should know everything about the Entertainment Industry from the morning news here in Hollywood, just the same as how the news in a farm town tells you all about the Farming Industry.

Salute,

Tony V.

Holly Martins

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 09:05:15 PM »

That's deep, Tony. 

Even second floors can make me a trifle nervous (but, for love of a good woman, I deal with ours).  My wife doesn't care much for the single storey ranch house style, and some of them are dismal and energy inefficient, but I do like living on one floor.  And absolutely no tilting.  Tilting is for picturesque European ruins or Cervantes characters, period.

Also, basements are great, if dry.  Satisfy the inner hedgehog, and also a good place to go when there's war, tornadoes, sudden loss of utilities, etc.  If you have apartments, the best building plans should include enough basement space that tenants can go there during an emergency, with bedrolls and access to water and basic rations.  If AC fails, basements remain fairly cool, and if heat goes out, they retain heat longer and are insulated by the earth.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 09:41:19 PM »

That's deep, Tony. 

Even second floors can make me a trifle nervous (but, for love of a good woman, I deal with ours).  My wife doesn't care much for the single storey ranch house style, and some of them are dismal and energy inefficient, but I do like living on one floor.  And absolutely no tilting.  Tilting is for picturesque European ruins or Cervantes characters, period.

Also, basements are great, if dry.  Satisfy the inner hedgehog, and also a good place to go when there's war, tornadoes, sudden loss of utilities, etc.  If you have apartments, the best building plans should include enough basement space that tenants can go there during an emergency, with bedrolls and access to water and basic rations.  If AC fails, basements remain fairly cool, and if heat goes out, they retain heat longer and are insulated by the earth.

Single level living is in our relatively near future.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2022, 03:31:24 PM »

Towers are great in the cities where space is limited.

When I worked for Suzanne Pleshette she lived in Empire West, which is a high rise in West Hollywood, the parking is underground, and there is a swimming pool on the roof with a club house, and there is a tennis court in a lot next door.

https://www.highrises.com/los-angeles/empire-west-condos/

Buildings like Empire West would be perfect here in Anaheim to help to house our people. And the poor people can live on the bottom floors, and the rich people can live on the top floors. They can have penthouses on the top floors for the rich people.

And at Empire West we had zero crime. We had 24 hour security, door men, valets, and zero crime.

In areas where land is more plentiful you can do single story high density housing like in Santorini, Greece, which would be perfect for Battle Mountain, Nevada.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2022, 04:34:04 PM »

Some people see mobile home parks as being a solution for housing, but many trailer parks are horrible places. I had a friend who was murdered at a trailer park. The only nice trailer park I know of is at Paradise Cove in Malibu, where they have 24 hour security. It is much better to have custom high density housing like in Santorini, Greece.

And when I posted a picture of an apartment complex in Santorini, Greece, Bambu thought it was a place for rich people. You could build that same style of housing for cheap in Battle Mountain, Nevada. So the poor people can live like the rich people, they can live in a location where they feel like they live in a resort. Instead of trailer parks, there can be high density Santorini, Greece, style apartments.

We can have communities where all of the people feel blessed and grateful.

Right now we have homeless people sleeping on the sidewalks, imagine if they had Greece style apartments in Nevada, they would be so much better off. There is no life being out there on the sidewalk.

Also, the poor people can work on farms and vineyards, so housing can be directed in that direction as well. And they can do trade with San Francisco, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2022, 05:57:37 PM »

Is this the Tony forum?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Holly Martins

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2022, 06:22:34 PM »

That's over in Arts/Theatre, last I checked.  See you there on June 12.  I'm hearing good buzz for Skeleton Crew .

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2022, 07:47:16 PM »

I actually motivated the World Bank to start a post with "Lights, Camera, Action!" after I made a post about investing in the arts in Colombia, and in other poor nations, and I suggested that as people go to Paris and Milan to find models that so too can the industry go to Bogota, Colombia, to find new talent. And I suggested that the AADA and other schools be open to admitting students from Bogota, etc. The World Bank loved my post, and their next post began with "Lights, Camera, Action!"

Salute,

Tony V.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2022, 05:52:58 AM »

https://www.sfgate.com/local/article/new-problem-at-SF-sinking-tower-17179301.php

The Millennium Tower's been sinking for years. The attempted fix has run into a problem and it is exacerbating a tilt that the building already had!

Values of homes in the building have dropped sharply by as much as half.

The intended fix seems to have been making thing worse.

Ah yes...leaning towers, cracking towers, collapsing towers...happening all over the world.
Usually great views and easy living in hi rise, but bad things can happen if they're not constructed absolutely perfectly...and/or construction starts occurring on surrounding land.
The weight of the towers on the land must be astronomical.
I went right off "multi-storey" after 9/11.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 06:01:01 AM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2022, 02:36:52 PM »

Not sure a single story abode offers much protection against ants, mice, fires, and floods which in your case are all more proximate risks.

Maybe the change in government can offer you some relief.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2022, 03:33:45 PM »

Not sure a single story abode offers much protection against ants, mice, fires, and floods which in your case are all more proximate risks.

Maybe the change in government can offer you some relief.

Steel frame /brick/concrete block single storey construction homes are fine.
The mice plagues are west of the Great Dividing Range...in the country, rural, in the farm hay stacks and barns.
The forest/scrub/grass fires will come again, always have, always will.
Build a home in the forest or in a flood zone, one day it will most likely end in disaster.
In the meantime the insurance premiums now in many cases are unaffordable.
In the tropical north they build single storey homes with concrete block walls, steel beams, tin rooves...timber rots, wet season it rains all the time...funny about that.
One minute it's sunny, hot sun, next minute it's raining...people just walk around, get wet, then are dry quickly.

Go woke, go broke.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2022, 05:22:25 PM »

Between 2002 and 2006, white and Asian American adolescents were the least likely to say theyd carried a handgun, while Black and Hispanic youth were the most likely.

More recently, Black teens have joined Asian Americans as among the least likely. But white youth have joined Hispanic adolescents, as most likely.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/04/26/metro/more-kids-report-carrying-handguns-with-largest-rise-among-white-wealthy-rural-teens-new-study-finds/
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 535